Biggest Nighter Tunes Of The Last Ten Years

Guest john s

I sold the Sir Joe to Adey for a fiver, foolishly thought that as it was a slightly battered Sir Joe 45, wasn't in Manship, none on popsike, and a well-known label, probably wasn't worth a lot, so I'd be happy with doubling my money.  :(

Social source share

Wish someone would play the flip of Tommy Dent out - it's a much better record...

Soul Thing is played at nighters for what it is.... A thumping up-tempo dance tune.

I have to confess not hearing the flip so if it's a much better tune why no air-time?

P.S, that "someone" would have to be Sam.... no other Brit dj's play it

Edited by Labeat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It's a mid tempo record but better musically imho. It's not a 'thumper'.

I well appreciate your view on that, don't get me wrong.... i love loads of mid-tempo stuff, it's just that i prefer lively dance tunes when i'm out.

Do i have to knock on Sams door to hear the flip, where do we access it as i don't think it's u-tubed.

A.T.B

Social source share

Surely discussing the flip of one of the "Biggest tunes of the last 10 years" is relevant to the topic?

Not squabbling my friend but i'm responding to the leading thread start of the "Biggest", we can all diverse to other things but i'm only focusing on the "question"

Social source share

I'll pm it to you - btw I have no idea how many people (or not) have it in the UK - if it's only Sam then fair enough.

I thank-you sir. The German dj (4get his name) plays it also, only a handful of copies in existence... Chalky should verify

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Just out of interest Gordon - would you prefer to hear a record of lesser quality played out over one of higher musical merit, provided it had the right beat to it? That's not a leading question btw, I'm just curious.

I am like Mr Labeat........when l go out l want to hear down and dirty mid tempo and quality uptempo that may cross and have an r&b tinge or a funky edge.......not heavy shit kicking r&b  and not ghetto style funk....all this woven together using oldies and underplayed as the fill in for all this......Whilst l take your point on quality......to many places shove what they believe is quality soul at us old and new...without a thought as to wether it makes for a quality night...... :thumbsup:  :)

Social source share

Don't think it's a cover up, it's an acetate that Butch has just called The Mighty Lovers. Probably un credited like the other one off acetates he plays.

Is it that Bell Sound acetate credited to the Epsilons (The Philly group)? If so came from V Shivley via J Anderson circa, god, must have 10 years ago now, when he was still down at Kings Lynn, I had it offered to me at the time, passed on it, one of my great regrets!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Unfortunately quite a few of the 45's being lauded in this thread are very poor records. Just my opinion of course. The Little Suzi tune isn't really a cover up, it's a Sue Rainey 45 with the wrong label on it. Played by Cliff Camfield for a year or so until Karl persuaded him to sell it. Never did anything for me personally.

Tommy Dent was being played by Richard Lewis long before Sam. Again does nowt for me.

The Sir Guy thing is ghastly.

The Precisions is very messy and another example of rarity over quality.

Just my humble opinion, and the reason I don't bother going out anymore.  :D

I have to agree, had that precisions record from soul bowl back in the day ,it was four quid. It was musically inept then, and does not sound any better now. would that track got into a top ten in 1976, hardly there would have been a riot!. unfortunately I sold it before I was able to appreciate the slow side. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it that Bell Sound acetate credited to the Epsilons (The Philly group)? If so came from V Shivley via J Anderson circa, god, must have 10 years ago now, when he was still down at Kings Lynn, I had it offered to me at the time, passed on it, one of my great regrets!!

I don't know Andy, I've never seen it. I know it has a count in as Butch once failed to cue it out. Made it sound even better.

Social source share

Some fantastic records here.... Precisions is one of the best records I have heard out in ages, sounds awesome over a good system!

Has John Harris been mentioned? Or has that been played out longer than ten years...  :huh:

Well here's ten just of the top of my head....will post more later, but here's some bangers to be going on with...

Parliaments - Rainy Day

Ishola Muhammed - Open Up Your Heart

United Sounds - Its All Over (Baby)

Willie Dale - Let Your Light Shine

Tiaras - Foolish Girl/Suprise

Precisions - My Sense Of Direction (Is Blown)

Hopkins Brothers - Shake Sheri

Sir Guy - Nobody Beats My Love

Tommy & The Derbys - Dont Play The Role

Kae Wiiliams - Our Love Is Dying

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 28/03/2014 at 11:30, Quinvy said:

Pete, I can send you a "live" recording I did at the first Lifeline Allnighter. Pretty poor quality, but you can get the gist of it. Let me know if you are interested mate.

I'd like to hear that please, if you've still got it?

Social source share

Returning to the original question, surely the biggest tunes are those that have been picked up by lots of leading DJ's and fill the floors in all sorts of venues, not just the Allnighters. Joe Jama on Optimum, Ray and the Blue Satins on ARV and Parisians on Demon Hot all spring to mind. If we go back to 2004, then Nolan Porter was going strong, Lonnie Lester was still being requested, Five Royales, Charles Sheffield etc a veritable RnB resurgence. Right now in 2016, lots of classics are coming back for the second time such as Earl Grant, Tomangoes Furys, Timi Yuro, Superlatives etc. Butch still has the biggest set of one-offs but much of what he plays is exclusive to the few venues he appears but credit where it's due, he was spinning the Saints on Wigwam before anyone else and plugging Joseph Webster, Patrinella Staten and others to great acclaim long before they were in the hands of other DJs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Returning to the original question, surely the biggest tunes are those that have been picked up by lots of leading DJ's and fill the floors in all sorts of venues, not just the Allnighters. Joe Jama on Optimum, Ray and the Blue Satins on ARV and Parisians on Demon Hot all spring to mind. If we go back to 2004, then Nolan Porter was going strong, Lonnie Lester was still being requested, Five Royales, Charles Sheffield etc a veritable RnB resurgence. Right now in 2016, lots of classics are coming back for the second time such as Earl Grant, Tomangoes Furys, Timi Yuro, Superlatives etc. Butch still has the biggest set of one-offs but much of what he plays is exclusive to the few venues he appears but credit where it's due, he was spinning the Saints on Wigwam before anyone else and plugging Joseph Webster, Patrinella Staten and others to great acclaim long before they were in the hands of other DJs.

But if Butch wanted to I have no doubt he could better all the top oldies Djs as well.  He isn't just about exclusives, he was a resident at Kings Hall at one time.

But back to question, its subjective as everyone has a different idea of the biggest records dependant on the venues they attend. I would have a completely different top 10 to one who frequents the mainstream nighters and soul nights. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 29 March 2014 at 12:15, Quinvy said:

Unfortunately quite a few of the 45's being lauded in this thread are very poor records. Just my opinion of course. The Little Suzi tune isn't really a cover up, it's a Sue Rainey 45 with the wrong label on it. Played by Cliff Camfield for a year or so until Karl persuaded him to sell it. Never did anything for me personally.

Tommy Dent was being played by Richard Lewis long before Sam. Again does nowt for me.

The Sir Guy thing is ghastly.

The Precisions is very messy and another example of rarity over quality.

Just my humble opinion, and the reason I don't bother going out anymore.  :D

R

Social source share

Glad this has come alive again

Talk about moving into elite records

none where that big?

Last ten years but big?

Lots? But known before? thats not the question?

Joe jama ok but before? crossing over? now a classic

Big?

Constellations? About you

Jt Parker

Pow wow. biggest at present

Mario Biondi (just arrived)

and a good few more

stay off the rare angle guys

its whats in the grooves that rocks the boat?

Im sure Butch is watching this with amusement

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, CheltSoulNights said:

Glad this has come alive again

Talk about moving into elite records

none where that big?

Last ten years but big?

Lots? But known before? thats not the question?

Joe jama ok but before? crossing over? now a classic

Big?

Constellations? About you

Jt Parker

Pow wow. biggest at present

Mario Biondi (just arrived)

and a good few more

stay off the rare angle guys

its whats in the grooves that rocks the boat?

Im sure Butch is watching this with amusement

Constellations was big when it was cheap 20 years plus ago. 

Joe  Jama massive for Tim 12 to 15 years ago everywhere too. 

JT Parker was Lifeline first although it was known by some years ago but never had plays. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 27 March 2014 at 22:41, Reg Scott said:

As a constant gardner of knowledge and opinion of the learned soul source members, please consider the below and please give your input:

In your humble what have been the biggest and best Nighter tunes of the last ten years. It's not a poll simply a genuine question.

I would say it depends what sort of nighter. for instance a Goldsoul Top 500  or  a rare soul event. A historical re-creation event or a moving on event etc. So the list is good, but maybe people can qualify what sort of events they mean? For instance I see Good Times Bad Times here and Margaret Little, which to me are not within the timeframe your referring to...

Social source share

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 14:10, chalky said:

But if Butch wanted to I have no doubt he could better all the top oldies Djs as well.  He isn't just about exclusives, he was a resident at Kings Hall at one time.

But back to question, its subjective as everyone has a different idea of the biggest records dependant on the venues they attend. I would have a completely different top 10 to one who frequents the mainstream nighters and soul nights. 

ist difficult for anyones exclusives to be considered big sounds, how can they be if only one dj is playing them? big sounds for that dj, but on the whole scene? some have already pointed out that sounds filter down, but how can they if the're one off and were talking ovo here?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2014 at 12:41, KevH said:

I've heard this said before Russ,have no recollection of this myself.A Cliff Steele spin,but wouldnt be suprised if had been tried before.I put this on the thread because of the reaction in the last few years. :thumbsup:

Think it was a Stafford thing. Mick Brown put me on to it and I got two copies for $6 each about 15 years ago and sold one to Cliff Steele and sold my copy on here about 12 months back. Flip side "life aint so bad " is the side for me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Think it was a Stafford thing. Mick Brown put me on to it and I got two copies for $6 each about 15 years ago and sold one to Cliff Steele and sold my copy on here about 12 months back. Flip side "life aint so bad " is the side for me.

Don't think it was a Stafford play.  I don't recall hearing it at all back in mid to late 80s early 90s anywhere. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, chalky said:

The same can be said for the big classics mentioned, big at mainstream Goldsoul type event but not necessarily at other allnighters. The likes of the Tomangoes aren't big records for me, they were once  but they just show a lack of imagination now because so many are playing them. Butch's exclusives still pack the floor including Kings Hall when he was a resident. Granted he doesn't DJ much here now but he still has a following, still packs the floor with many of them. 

I look at it this way, what makes a top DJ? Is it to do something others can't do like it is in other walks of life. Or is it like the so called top Djs do and play the same that many others can do and often do.

That's why I still prefer to hear something I don't know or don't hear to often rather than records I have heard at nights for 30 odd years. 

I was thinking about this point, the real problem is the lack of a big central venue thats progressive, especially since we've no lifeline now, it came real close to being just that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 10 months later...

Benny Harper my prayer probably a bit over 10 years now ?

was that known before the little qty John Anderson had ?

i remember being in Scandinavia and 3 of us all had copies it was a great track but a little tricky to dance to.

best record of last 10 years for me. Probably speak now by Richard marks that knocked me sideways.

tuska label stuff, more quality southern soul lots of great records.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!