Biggest Nighter Tunes Of The Last Ten Years

Mystiques - Put Out The Fire

Wanda McDaniel - Gangster Boy

Grey Imprint - Do You Get The Message (re activation)

Wally Coco - Message to Society

Scott Three - Running Wild

Fourth Level - Deep South

Charles Simmons - Save The World

Double O Demingos - Colour One Tear Black Pt 2

Superbs - Wind In My Sails

Butch's Vessie Simmons Cover Up

Almost too many to mention that Ady plays at the 100 Club from acetate, virtually all bangers....

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure if some of these are 'big nighter tunes' as in the title. Wally Coco, Grey Imprint, Willie Dale, Fourth Level, Joey Irving are all great records and popular in 2nd rooms and at rare soul nights, but are they packing the floor in main rooms and at the big nighters (apart from Burnley and Lifeline)? I'm not so sure.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Some more...

The Rising Son - Good Loving

Mill Edwards -  Just Like the Weather

Waymond Hall - What Will Tomorrow Bring

Earl English & the Apaches/Apaches - Trying To Make Ends Meet 

Topics - Have Your Fun - (Re Activation)

Notations - Trying My Best To Find Her

Appointments - Steppin Closer

Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance (Re Activation)

Roy Roberts - You Move Me

Sandy Hadley - Since I Found A Love (Re Activation, altho barely played originally, dropped when booted).

Social source share

I'm not sure if some of these are 'big nighter tunes' as in the title. Wally Coco, Grey Imprint, Willie Dale, Fourth Level, Joey Irving are all great records and popular in 2nd rooms and at rare soul nights, but are they packing the floor in main rooms and at the big nighters (apart from Burnley and Lifeline)? I'm not so sure.

No they're not, but ,nearly all the records I have mentioned fall in to that category though, doubt any of these will pack a floor at Kings Hall, Keele, etc, etc, but they ram it at Lifeline, 100 Club, Burnley, & all of the second rooms at other nighters, including Rugby, Gloucester, Radcliffe & some go in the main rooms at these places too, not forgetting the forward thinking Soul Nights up & down the country...but I spose it depends what you call a big nighter really, bums on seats or quality of the music & integrity of the people listening & dancing....most will eventually be excepted by the masses eventually, look at the Stafford classics that were shunned by the returnees originally, many have become excepted now...

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Unfortunately quite a few of the 45's being lauded in this thread are very poor records. Just my opinion of course. The Little Suzi tune isn't really a cover up, it's a Sue Rainey 45 with the wrong label on it. Played by Cliff Camfield for a year or so until Karl persuaded him to sell it. Never did anything for me personally.

Tommy Dent was being played by Richard Lewis long before Sam. Again does nowt for me.

The Sir Guy thing is ghastly.

The Precisions is very messy and another example of rarity over quality.

Just my humble opinion, and the reason I don't bother going out anymore.  :D

It's all about opinions Phil and we all have different ones but that is the beauty of this scene.  I would agree to me as well some of those listed are poor but to others they are great.  

I love Sir Joe (both sides and the Precisions).  Tommy Dent I would agree with you, just a mess of a tune. But it would be boring if we all liked the same.  

I can't think of one DJ, one all-nighter or soul night in any era that hasn't played duffers.  Everyone has played good and bad.  You will never get an hour let alone a night where every record is right up anyones street.

Social source share

some great tracks so far :hatsoff2:  I would also include Charlene & The Soul Serenaders Can You Win :thumbsup:

From my experience his track is even very appreciated by a more oldies orientated crowd. I am sure this would go down well at events like Stoke  :yes:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Matt "big nighter tunes" to me mean those played at Lifeline, burnley, 100 club and similar venues.

It means (relatively) new discoveries/plays or forgotten/reactivated ones with some imagination.

Whatever is rocking the floor at Kings hall or any other mainly oldies venue isn't the same thing (to me anyway) - if you listed what these were it would be just the top 500 ( with a few exceptions) wouldn't it?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Ravins has been massive for Andy Dyson last few years alongside Henry C.  Paul Vann "One Track Mind" as well.  

Proffs finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Saints on Wigwam.

Stormie Wynters "Lifesaver"

Hopkins Brothers "Shake Sheri"

Cosmos Band "Third Eye"

Roy Roberst "So In Love"

Bernard Drake on La Louisianne

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Matt "big nighter tunes" to me mean those played at Lifeline, burnley, 100 club and similar venues.

It means (relatively) new discoveries/plays or forgotten/reactivated ones with some imagination.

Whatever is rocking the floor at Kings hall or any other mainly oldies venue isn't the same thing (to me anyway) - if you listed what these were it would be just the top 500 ( with a few exceptions) wouldn't it?

What he says...

Russ

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I suppose if you narrow it down to specific nighters then that's true Steve. Mind you, plenty of places that weren't 'big nighters' were playing Sunrise Movement, Roy Roberts and lots of those listed before any nighter picked them up. I agree most of those listed are being played by the more progressive nighters, but taking Clear Vinyl's question literally I would say very few are 'big nighter sounds' across the country. I know plenty of people who go to nighters every weekend who have probably never heard Willie Dale, for example.

...or maybe I'm just bored on a Saturday afternoon and there's only A Bridge Too Far on the telly... :)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What he says...

Russ

Yes, if the original question was 'what have been the biggest nighter tunes at Burnley, Lifeline and 100 Club in the last ten years'. But it wasn't. :)

Social source share

My copy of 'So In Love' was in the first three JP found, the only other copy prior to that was RR own copy that was whipped n JP owned that anyway - the first time it was played since its release, was probably when Jason played it on his radio show.  I think its pretty safe to say this was played for the first time in the UK at an All Nighter, almost definitely as the other copies were with DJ's that rarely do Soul Nights anyway... 

Best Russ

Social source share

Yes, if the original question was 'what have been the biggest nighter tunes at Burnley, Lifeline and 100 Club in the last ten years'. But it wasn't. :)

They are in the same country lol.....serious question tho, were do these records have to be big to be counted ?.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

some great tracks so far :hatsoff2:  I would also include Charlene & The Soul Serenaders Can You Win :thumbsup:

From my experience his track is even very appreciated by a more oldies orientated crowd. I am sure this would go down well at events like Stoke  :yes:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :D

Social source share

Well here's ten just of the top of my head....will post more later, but here's some bangers to be going on with...

Parliaments - Rainy Day

Ishola Muhammed - Open Up Your Heart

United Sounds - Its All Over (Baby)

Willie Dale - Let Your Light Shine

Tiaras - Foolish Girl/Suprise

Precisions - My Sense Of Direction (Is Blown)

Hopkins Brothers - Shake Sheri

Sir Guy - Nobody Beats My Love

Tommy & The Derbys - Dont Play The Role

Kae Wiiliams - Our Love Is Dying

See, nobody laughed at Russ.  :rofl:  :P  :rolleyes:  :wave:  :hypocrite:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's all about opinions Phil and we all have different ones but that is the beauty of this scene.  I would agree to me as well some of those listed are poor but to others they are great.  

I love Sir Joe (both sides and the Precisions).  Tommy Dent I would agree with you, just a mess of a tune. But it would be boring if we all liked the same.  

I can't think of one DJ, one all-nighter or soul night in any era that hasn't played duffers.  Everyone has played good and bad.  You will never get an hour let alone a night where every record is right up anyones street.

I agree, I was just trying to make the point that a lot of these tunes are well bellow standard, but are popular because there's nothing new of quality. When you are involved in a scene that you passionately love, you get very insular. Once you leave that scene you hear things from a more realistic perspective.

However, I must also admit that if I heard some of these tunes played out, I may grow to like them.

But I doubt it somehow.  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

My copy of 'So In Love' was in the first three JP found, the only other copy prior to that was RR own copy that was whipped n JP owned that anyway - the first time it was played since its release, was probably when Jason played it on his radio show.  I think its pretty safe to say this was played for the first time in the UK at an All Nighter, almost definitely as the other copies were with DJ's that rarely do Soul Nights anyway... 

Best Russ

I know Andy Dyson got a handful off Roy Roberts and they went to the likes of Butch, Steve G, Andy himself etc etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Unfortunately quite a few of the 45's being lauded in this thread are very poor records. Just my opinion of course. The Little Suzi tune isn't really a cover up, it's a Sue Rainey 45 with the wrong label on it. Played by Cliff Camfield for a year or so until Karl persuaded him to sell it. Never did anything for me personally.

Tommy Dent was being played by Richard Lewis long before Sam. Again does nowt for me.

The Sir Guy thing is ghastly.

The Precisions is very messy and another example of rarity over quality.

Just my humble opinion, and the reason I don't bother going out anymore.  :D

Phil, Peter Sutcliffe "doesn't bother going out", bring your mate Pete S out and have a jolly good night :yes:

Social source share

Actually its not really a lot for a 10 year period is it?   Take out the Butch cover-ups and things like Joseph Webster (played nearer 25 years ago) and the Poets (20 years ago) and your not left with many at all!

Aaw you've got to be kidding Mike, the last 10 years have been the best for tunes.... FANTASTICO i struggle to keep up with the amount of quality

Edited by Labeat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

reactivation, Dean Anderson first.

Don't forget the other one, Things That A Lady.  Take A Look goes back to the mid 80's though.

It,s not about first chalkey....you seem obsessed with who played what first. Karl was the one who played this pitched up 3 or 4 to make a stonking down and dirty dance tune......

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Remember   mate these clubs are all completely different ....in their music policy......what is played at one will not nesessarily be played at another....no matter how big.....example   no sir joe at burnley.......no ike and tina at lifeline......if the tune don,t fit the policy  it generally don,t get played.............however whatever is your thing  you,ll go to the club of your choice and STEVE L,s original question will apply. :D

Social source share

It,s not about first chalkey....you seem obsessed with who played what first. Karl was the one who played this pitched up 3 or 4 to make a stonking down and dirty dance tune......

No I give credit where credit is due, something you fail to do.  I don't deny Karl played it but I doubt you ever heard Dean play it so no idea of it's popularity then and IMO he deserves just as much credit as Karl for this record.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest penny

No I give credit where credit is due, something you fail to do.  I don't deny Karl played it but I doubt you ever heard Dean play it so no idea of it's popularity then?

No I give credit where credit is due, something you fail to do.  I don't deny Karl played it but I doubt you ever heard Dean play it so no idea of it's popularity then?

But the thread isnt about who discovered what, or who played what first or when, and a record having been played previously doesn't mean it cant have been one of the last 10 years' biggies. A record could have been a biggie in the 80s or whenever, and the last ten years.

the sue rainey came out, as susan raney, on Peachtree, its not just a miss-press

Social source share

But the thread isnt about who discovered what, or who played what first or when, and a record having been played previously doesn't mean it cant have been one of the last 10 years' biggies. A record could have been a biggie in the 80s or whenever, and the last ten years.

the sue rainey came out, as susan raney, on Peachtree, its not just a miss-press

I know, but if  talkng bout a big record at leat give those responsible the credit, in this case both of them....who is talkin about the 80's?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Joe jama 

well what can you say..............a butch c/up?.......someone should of covered this up ........with  20 ton of top soil

Social source share

Mik that's what I meant. It was just the copy Cliff had was labeled as Emery and the Dynamics - Let's take a look at our life.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

I do think that some records also take on an entirely different persona when played out at a club, through a good system....that along with the atmosphere etc can turn a record into something else.

Russ

That is absolutely true my friend.  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

They are in the same country lol.....serious question tho, were do these records have to be big to be counted ?.

Russ

I think what I was trying to say (and failing) was, in the spirit of Clear Vinyl's question are their any big records of the last ten years that have been 'big' at all nighters? Some have been mentioned, Mello Souls for one I should think and Parliaments.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Which venue was playing Roy Roberts first Matt, I presume you mean So In Love? 

I'm assuming it was Lifeline for So In Love Chalky. Russ mentioned You Move Me and I didn't hear that at a nighter main room until it had done the rounds at the rare soul nights and the 2nd rooms.

This thread is just reminding me I need to get my fat ass out more. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I'm assuming it was Lifeline for So In Love Chalky. Russ mentioned You Move Me and I didn't hear that at a nighter main room until it had done the rounds at the rare soul nights and the 2nd rooms.

This thread is just reminding me I need to get my fat ass out more. :lol:

I wasn't sure which one you was referring to.  "So In Love"  was Lifeline & 100 Club as Russ said, Andy & Butch.  Other crossover type venues as Steve G had a copy as well, think it was Bass Museum night when he bought it?  Andy had about 8 or 9 copies in all if I remember rightly.  

Social source share

Wish someone would play the flip of Tommy Dent out - it's a much better record...

Social source share

wasn't it Dave Thorley who found the Sir Joes and Im sure Adey Pountain bought one of Dean from Bristol very cheap before DT had his copies. I bought Ions which was one of the DT copies

is that another dean ?..wasn't me,although john sold adey something way too cheap a few years back..might have been that,cant remember

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!