Soulvation Army Discography

Guest Blueimage

Guest Blueimage

Kind of a mysterious label..... does anyone happen to have the full discography? Seems like a bunch of short runs were pressed on here in addition to the few we see all the time. Thanks!

Social source share

These Gents 

Soulvation Army Band /Flora Wilson, come to mind :-

Apparently ....

David Parr of the La Rells, who was also a sound engineer, remembers one session loaded with superstar talent. In 1974, he taped “Dancing on a Daydream” by Flora Wilson. One of the backing singers was Phyllis Hyman.

But the jocks turned the record over, and the big hit was the instrumental B side, done by the Sound of Philadelphia Orchestra, credited to the Soulvation Army Band. Parr taped the flip side in Philly, and added some sugar in Pittsburgh. He had sax man George Green honk for him, and Gene Ludwig pumped the B-3. 

Phyllis Hyman backing on the vocal track and Gene Ludwig on the B side? Hey, ya gotta be kiddin'! Pittsburgh sure had some sidemen back in the day. 

Although he got his share of club dates and was a popular session player, the era of the organ was winding down. He was turning down gigs that wanted him to mellow out (he remained true to jazz and R&B), and it looked like the Hammond players were fast becoming an endangered species. 

That is, until Joey DeFrancesco, Papa John's kid, fueled a resurgence with a series of Columbia albums running form 1989 through the nineties and revived the genre. 

Throughout the '80s and '90s, Ludwig's schedule picked up, and he toured the eastern and midwestern circuits while working in local jazz clubs like the Crawford Grill and James Street Tavern.

End

tfk
Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Blueimage

That's some great info, thanks so much for that. I can tell you that I know I've seen at least 2-3 more singles (in addition to those mentioned), that were recorded. Can't remember all the info from each, But I do remember that the mysterious ones were pressed in '74 as well. One I actually own has a Black Heat cover, sped up. Wondering how many others there are?

Social source share

id like to see this (Discography), Ive seen other tracks on the label, I'm sure I have, but I cant remember them..

m

I have "These Gents " on another label too... would love  to know what the other releases are on this label ??

I remember the " Dancing on a daydream " being a front page focus 45 back on John Anderson's  Soul Bowl sales list way back in 1975 ish - I bought one at the time off the  list for I think about 75p ? And must add I thought it was and still is a fantastic recording - Featuring Flora Wilson and a young Phyllis Hyman ...hey never a day goes by were i aint learning some new stuff ...tfk 

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I addition to the "normal" releases on SA, there are several custom jobs on the label as well. At least two of these 45s were the result of Walt Maddox's Super M Talent search in 1974, with The Family being a superior funk release. I would also love to see what kind of discography could be cobbled together.

Social source share

Guest Blueimage

ahh ok, so that's why multiple custom jobs are from the summer of '74. Makes sense. That Family one is cool, I've heard it in the past. Question still remains though.....how many custom recordings were pressed?

Edited by Blueimage
Social source share

That's some great info, thanks so much for that. I can tell you that I know I've seen at least 2-3 more singles (in addition to those mentioned), that were recorded. Can't remember all the info from each, But I do remember that the mysterious ones were pressed in '74 as well. One I actually own has a Black Heat cover, sped up. Wondering how many others there are?

Here's the Pure-de-funk doing their Black Heat cover

post-1377-0-15795500-1396354429_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!