The Furys - Mack Iv

Just picked up nice early group soul (62ish?) thing, The Furys on a French Columbia EP. Was aware of a couple of their Mack IV releases, some which appear on this. One track in particular on the EP 'If there's a next time' I'm convinced I've heard before maybe in 80s post Stafford etc? Any background info on who these guys were?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The Furys (1962-64) on Jimmy McEachin's Mack IV Records were a Los Angeles based group, which had the following members all of whom had sung since the mid 1950s:

Jimmy Green-tenor lead (ex of The Medallions), Tony Allen-tenor (ex of The Champs), Charles Jackson-tenor (ex of The Shields), and Jerome Evans-baritone and main lead singer (ex of The Medallions).  In 1965, without Tony Allen, they got back together with lead singer Vernon Greene, to re-form The Medallions.  From 1962 through 1964, Vernon Green had sung backed by a "new" Medallions group.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Furys (1962-64) on Jimmy McEachin's Mack IV Records were a Los Angeles based group, which had the following members all of whom had sung since the mid 1950s:

Jimmy Green-tenor lead (ex of The Medallions), Tony Allen-tenor lead (ex of The Champs), Charles Jackson-tenor (ex of The Shields), and Jerome Evans-baritone (ex of The Medallions).  In 1965, without Tony Allen, they got back together with lead singer Vernon Greene, to re-form The Medallions.  From 1962 through 1964, Vernon Green had sung backed by a "new" Medallions group.

Is that the same Tony Allen who did the original version of night owl?

Social source share

Is that the same Tony Allen who did the original version of night owl?

Yes, the original "Night Owl" was sung by Tony Allen and The Champs on Specialty Records.  Tony Allen had a lot of different background groups and sang for lots of small, independent L.A. Labels.  He was also a non-lead member of several groups.

Social source share

The Furys had another lineup as follows:

Jerome Evans (baritone lead), with Robert Washington, Melvin White, George Taylor, and Jimmy Green.  I assume that this group was the later group on the last Mack IV release, and The Keymen issue in 1965, from after Tony Allen left to go solo again, and Charles Jackson left to join Vernon Greene's new Medallions.  But, I had thought that Jimmy Green left to join them as well.  Maybe this was a short, transition roster, with Green already gone when the group signed with Keymen?

Scott Engel (one of The Walker Brothers) was their main arranger, and P.J. Proby (under his pen name, James K. Smith) was one of their major songwriters.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Yes, the original "Night Owl" was sung by Tony Allen and The Champs on Specialty Records.  Tony Allen had a lot of different background groups and sang for lots of small, independent L.A. Labels.  He was also a non-lead member of several groups.

Thanks for that.      :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Furys on a French Columbia EP. Was aware of a couple of their Mack IV releases, some which appear on this.

I'm a big fan of their recordings...my fave is, "Another Fella", which is on that French EP, but the mix is not as powerful as the US Mack IV 7"...incredible production and perfect vocals (as usual):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yetjWc7f7E

Social source share

According to Steve Propes book "Old School 77 Years Of Southern California R&B Vocal Group Harmony Records 1934 - 2011 (A must have book for all anoraks IMO) the Furys according to Baritone Jerome Evans came out of the Cyclones on Forward with Charles Jackson & Ray Daugherty.

Social source share

According to Steve Propes book "Old School 77 Years Of Southern California R&B Vocal Group Harmony Records 1934 - 2011 (A must have book for all anoraks IMO) the Furys according to Baritone Jerome Evans came out of the Cyclones on Forward with Charles Jackson & Ray Daugherty.

I once swapped emails with Jerome Evans (or rather his wife Joy!)...he was touring with "Danny & The Juniors" a decade or so ago. She said they had enough unreleased material to fill a double CD set!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!