Advice Needed With Ebay Sale

I bought a record on eBay with a 'Buy it now' option. Seller is now saying that it shouldn't have been a 'Buy it now' item and has refunded my payment and wants me to cancel the sale

It is virtually impossible to list an item with a 'Buy it now' option by mistake, as it is a seperate box you have to tick when listing, and then have to name your 'Buy it now' price.
Any advice please?

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

I`m no great expert but the seller has put the record up as a Buy It Now option, you`ve accepted the offer and paid him so therefore a contract has been made.  He now wants to break that contract by retracting the offer and acceptance so I`m guessing you need to open a case under the Resolution Centre??  Others will know better than me as to how that works.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I`m no great expert but the seller has put the record up as a Buy It Now option, you`ve accepted the offer and paid him so therefore a contract has been made.  He now wants to break that contract by retracting the offer and acceptance so I`m guessing you need to open a case under the Resolution Centre??  Others will know better than me as to how that works.

I don't want to screw things here but when I studied Law of Contract MANY years ago we were told that the offer was the purchasers offer to buy and if the seller didn't accept to sell then there was no contract. I remember it in the context of goods being wrongly priced. i.e. if an item was accidentally priced too low you couldn't force the seller to sell it at that price because he hadn't accepted your offer to buy it at that price.

They've probably rewritten the Legal text books many times since then so I don't know if that still applies. But that's what we were told way back when . . . . . . .

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

thecivilservice, on 29 Mar 2014 - 6:02 PM, said:thecivilservice, on 29 Mar 2014 - 6:02 PM, said:

When its a buy it now the distance selling regulations come into effect which means that a buyer is free to decide they don't want the goods for whatever reason within the cooling off period and return them for a full refund.  IMO its only fair that a seller has the same opportunity.

Nah, don't agree with that. If a seller agrees to sell at a certain price and then changes their mind - usually cos they think they can get more money then it's not on. It's just not cricket.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest john s

Accidents happen, maybe the seller was using templates he'd made before and used the wrong one by mistake.

Nothing you can do about it though, why not just let it go?

Social source share

Accidents happen, maybe the seller was using templates he'd made before and used the wrong one by mistake.

Nothing you can do about it though, why not just let it go?

ive done that before and put a $60 tune up for $250 due to a template error (on my part) and someone bought it. 

maybe the guy was putting up quite a few tunes on ebay. its a soul destroying process so your right, John, errors can happen. if you do it regularly i could see how you might have a drink or two whilst doing it just to remain sane. putting 30 up is enough  to make one contemplate suicide. 

all said and done you cant do anything about it. if he doesnt want you to post the tune theres nothing you can do to make him. quoting law etc is just a waste of time as is reporting them to ebay. 

Social source share

Situation so far.
I have rang eBay and they say that the seller is in the wrong for listing it at the price I bought it at as a 'Buy it now'. If they wanted more for it then they should have listed it for a higher price, and that they should go through with the sale and put it down to a learning experience. I have been through all of the sellers other listings and none of them are an auction with a 'buy it now' price of $9.99, so it's unlikely that they were using an existing template. eBay said that they wished that more people would ring them and let them know of incidents such as this, as there are so many transactions on ebay (millions) that although some cases are reported on the eBay site, most of them are dealt with through an automatic system, so when they are informed of a case such as this by telephone, they will keep an eye on it and take further action where needed.
Their advise was to not accept a 'cancel Transaction request', and write to the seller saying that you have contacted eBay and they have given you advise, and that they as good sellers should go through with the transaction. If not I am within my rights to leave them negative feedback and explain in the feedback what has happened to warn other buyers what has happened.
OK I know how this is gonna end, I won't get the record, and I'll leave them negative feedback. But you may understand why I am a little peeved about this when I tell you that the record I purchased for $9.99, was 'Darrell Banks - Angel baby on US Atco  :(. I have had many many purchases like this where i have bought records at a fraction of the worth on ebay, but in 11 years i have never had a seller go back on a deal, and neither have I, if I have mistakingly listed a record at the wrong price, or it sells for less than I'd hoped, I have never wrote to the buyer saying "i can't sell it to you cos it didn't fetch enough", there are safeguards on ebay to avoid this such as reserve prices or starting an aution with a price that is acceptable you you.

Anyhoo! I have written again to the seller, so I'll keep you in the loop as to what happens.
Oh!! and it's girl not a guy.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Update:

After contacting ebay by phone and then informing the seller of my intended actions advised by eBay, the seller has agreed to go through with the sale.

Now to wait and see if it comes.

SOUNDS GOOD NEWS A LOT OF THE AMERICAN SELLERS WOULD HATE TO LOSE THEIR 100 % FEEDBACK

LET US ALL KNOW THE OUTCOME

ATB

KEV

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....  Sometimes the mistake can happen, normally it's the big sellers who list 500 plus and get someone to do the shop list, it happened to me 2 weeks ago from a trusted seller record was listed but lost in stock, I took a refund as it was only for £12,,

or you could pose the question to her if she refuses the refund, ask her DYF if she say's no tell her to f off :g: she might say yep! :ohmy: DAVE K

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Well as a follow up to the original post, I got the record through this  morning and all is as described.
Rough looking as said but plays through with no skips. Well worth the £6 paid and a bit more besides.
I have left the seller +feedback as has she for me, so all well and good.
The moral to this story is, don't just sit and let things like this happen, stand up and fight.

post-9727-0-19088800-1396619054_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well as a follow up to the original post, I got the record through this  morning and all is as described.

Rough looking as said but plays through with no skips. Well worth the £6 paid and a bit more besides.

I have left the seller +feedback as has she for me, so all well and good.

The moral to this story is, don't just sit and let things like this happen, stand up and fight.

attachicon.gifdarrell banks.JPG

You were robbed  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yep, that is the way to go raise a dispute via the Ebay resolution centre, I had a similar thing and the seller eventually gave in under Ebay pressure, but it did take nearly a month.

There is no guarantee that you will get the record though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!