Soul Source Favourite Motown Song

Cunnie

As ITV are planning a special documentary this summer to find the Nation's favourite Motown song we thought it might be interesting to do a Soul Source version.
All we need is just the title & artist of one track & if you want a brief description as to why.
Know it's not an easy task to narrow it down to 1 track as there are so many to choose from but massive lists will just be a nightmare.

The thread will run for about 2 weeks & then we'll do the totting up & announce the results.

Be interesting to see how the 2 polls compare.

Away you go.

Social source share

I think I always know the answer to it because after approaching 50 years its pull as the epitome of music ambrosia remains undiminished.

Stiff and serious competition from many quarters including Originals, David Ruffin, Gladys Knight, Temptations, Four Tops as to be expected but to me the best, and therefore my favourite, is.....

Miracles - Tracks of my tears.

I hope to God I never tire of hearing this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

are we allowed album only tracks

Well my favourite is an album track so yes :yes:

Oh no - another nine pages of bile when that is eventually screened :o(

There is another thread to discuss that. 

This is purely our thread for the poll so can ask to just keep it to title, artist & brief description.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My first second and third favorites have allready been said so Still waters - the Four tops because its brilliant :yes:

EDIT dozy sod me missed the point :wicked:  Miracles - Whole lot of shaking  - and why not :thumbup:

Edited by Mark S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Four Tops " Ask the lonely", a superb song, often copied never bettered.

I can listen to this song a hundred times in a row and still find something new in it such is the power of the emotion when Levi sings !

Rob

I was just going through the posts thinking surely someone will put 'just ask the lonely' what a record! Agree with everything said above, great call.....Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm with Jaco - The Tracks Of My Tears. Beautiful.

I was gonna go for I'll Keep Holding On by the Marvelettes on Tamla, but that's cos I've just bought it.

Well that's the one I'm going for ....

The Marvelettes - I'll Keep Holding On :thumbsup:

It was cool when I first heard it as a young mod, & I still think its cool as an old sod :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well my favourite is an album track so yes :yes:

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

This is purely our thread for the poll so can ask to just keep it to title, artist & brief description.

?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

Ooops sorry - missed that - but I was not wrong and it hasn't been screened yet :o)

Social source share

Difficult innit?

I have so many, narrowed it down to 2:

Spinners - I'll always love you

Contours - just a little misunderstanding

first one is just superb, fabulous vocals (of course) with a perfect arrangement

second one has it all,  been in my top five for well over 30 yrs, the piano intro is irresistible !

• Helpful 3
Social source share