Soul Source Favourite Motown Song

Cunnie

Guest MBarrett

Hate me if you want. :D

But I vote for I Want You Back by the Jackson Five.

I love hundreds of other Motown tunes. But I have never heard IWYB in the last 44 years without thinking - that is the most perfectly crafted intro, and possibly the best pop song,  EVER!

Sorry but that's just me . . . . .  

Social source share

You forget how many great records there are on this label...it's reminded me...great thread...thank you very much..for me it will always be..just ask the lonely..but loving being reminded of so many fantastic records....keep them coming every one, not been a bad tune mentioned yet...thank you again...Rob

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There were too many perfect Motown recorded songs to pick just one.  I'll say "Ask The Lonely" by The Four Tops -today.  Tomorrow it might be "Crying In The Night" by The Monitors. or "Truly Yours" by The Spinners, or "A Tear From A Woman's Eye" by The Temptations, or "My Girl", or "All I Do(Is Think About You" by Tammi Terrell, or "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak For You)" by The Isley Brothers, or "Suspicion" by The Originals, or "I'll Always Love You" by The Spinners, or "My Beloved" by The Satintones, or "I'll Come Running" by Carolyn Crawford.....or....

That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't think how to put it in words....fantastic..so many that were great, and written perfectly..mr rob k..thank you....Rob

Social source share

This would be the one for me. Are there any other versions as i thought it was earmarked for the four tops .

The Supremes also did the song on their "Supremes A Go Go" album.

I'm not sure if I could narrow down my choices to 10 Motown songs let alone one!

Social source share

Four Tops " Ask the lonely", a superb song, often copied never bettered.

I can listen to this song a hundred times in a row and still find something new in it such is the power of the emotion when Levi sings !

Robx

Rob. Your so right. I was torn between this and the originals. Awesome tune that reduces grown men to quivering emotional wrecks. Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Temptations...just my imagination, faultless vocals from Eddie..

I'm going for this too.

For the vocal AND the whole productiion. Beautiful.

But even more than that for me. It was a hot record in the summer of 1971. By then it felt like the Golden Age of 60's soul was gone forever and then a diamond like this came along.

I was 19 years old. Girls would melt in your arms if you got a slow dance to this record.

All in all a preferred destination for me when that first time machine gets invented. :D

Social source share

Seemed a good idea at the time :)

so did marrying the ex and look where that got me :lol:

got to say every post i'ma thinking yes thats the one, then read next and think top tune just because most are common/not rare they don't get play out as often as they may warrant it's to late to night but it's a motown night tomorrow :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Stevie - " Nothing's too good for my baby". So fresh !

Isleys - " Tell me its just a rumour ". A barnstormer of a dance record !

Supremes - " Nathan Jones ". So atmospheric and without the Diva 'One Note' Ross.

Thelma - " Don't leave me this way " Wow !

Bobby - " So many sides of you "  Modern Northern Soul memories - not a 'kin backdrop in sight !

Social source share

The Supremes also did the song on their "Supremes A Go Go" album.

I'm not sure if I could narrow down my choices to 10 Motown songs let alone one!

I'm not sure I could narrow down to 100.  If I remember correctly, counting vinyl unreleased, there are more than 100 perfect recordings to my taste.  And, if I had to lose THEM, or my top 100 of all other music for the rest of my life, I'd have a hard time deciding, and probably chose to lose all other music, and be able to hear my top 100 Motown songs for the rest of my life.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Great thread,I wish I hadn't read the thing so far without first stating my choice as so many fine records have bern mentioned,I'll go with the first one that popped into my head at the start,Contours Little Misunderstanding.Reason, I think it was the first Motown track I heard played other than on the radio in a club,can still picture that night to this day.

Edited by Twoshoes
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As ITV are planning a special documentary this summer to find the Nation's favourite Motown song we thought it might be interesting to do a Soul Source version.

All we need is just the title & artist of one track & if you want a brief description as to why.

Know it's not an easy task to narrow it down to 1 track as there are so many to choose from but massive lists will just be a nightmare.

The thread will run for about 2 weeks & then we'll do the totting up & announce the results.

Be interesting to see how the 2 polls compare.

Away you go.

Has to be "Lonely, lonely girl am I" by the Velvelettes. The arrangements and production are just so awesome, guaranteed to fill any dance-floor. Gets my vote every time.

post-4408-0-26966600-1396255484_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I haven't looked through this thread yet to see other people's offerings, I wanted to put mine first before before influenced by other choices as I am very easily led.

so my choice would be

Marvin Gaye - One More Heartache

I shall now go back through the thread and see what others think

atb 

Andy

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

"You can not have so many sides its not Motown"

Caught out on SS, on a technicality ! Dave strokes chin, vows to learn the difference between 'recorded' and 'distributed'

539+Bobby+Womack+%255B%255D+-+So+Many+Si

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Impossible to narrow it down,and find myself agreeing with so many of the choices.But i'll add a couple .

Smokey & the Miracles - Just losing you.

Marvin & Tammi - What you gave me.

Jnr Walker & All Stars - Gotta hold onto this feeling.

Social source share