Steve Propes "old School". New Book

Chalky

I mentioned this book in another topic, a must have for all you anoraks who just love information.  Steve is one of the West Coast top collectors and a mine of information.  His previous book L.A. R&B Vocal Groups 1945-1965 is a hard to find and very sought after.

It is only available on US amazon but I got my copy from there and it arrived in about three days.

Steve Propes

"Old School" 

77 Years of Southern California R&B Vocal Group Harmony Records 1934-2011

post-225-0-25353200-1396186151_thumb.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/SCHOOL-Southern-California-Harmony-Records/dp/1461076927

This is what is on amazon....

OLD SCHOOL Southern California R&B & Vocal Group Harmony Records 1934 - 2011 by Stephen C. Propes.  A never before published chronological compendium of musicians and/or groups, titles, original record labels, local and select out-of-town radio and record store chart positions...combined with the stories of the records, either from those involved or from original research...and in notable cases, an idea of the value of these discs. Popular music in Southern California has a surprisingly short history prior to World War II. Though a recording scene existed in the early 1920s, for all intents and purposes, the aggressive recording, pressing and marketing of phonograph records in the L.A. area didn't really take hold until the 1930s, and in fact, many of these 1930s releases were party records with double-entendre themes. However, the post WWII era was a different matter. With the emergence of some L.A.-based pop and race music stars, generally with radio, nightclub or motion picture connections in the early 1940s, the serious business of recording for the mass market began in earnest. The development of rhythm and blues and soul in any major market has never been fully documented in the way this book portrays over 1,400 record releases by over 850 groups or artists described here. Many of the records featured in this work hit either the local or national popularity charts, or both, however not all records made a visit to those lists of best sellers. Some of the artists described within had spectacular multi-decade careers, but many of them were of the one-off or best case, one hit variety. Though the work concentrates on rhythm and blues and soul music, there are other genres, such as novelty, jazz, gospel and pop sprinkled in when the story supports inclusion.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

There is a lot of "Northern" related info in this book. Most of your West Coast groups get a mention.  It goes year by year, release by release I think.  I haven't read it front to back but I keep delving in when needing some info.

P.S.  I always thought it was a mine of info?

Social source share

There is a lot of "Northern" related info in this book. Most of your West Coast groups get a mention.  It goes year by year, release by release I think.  I haven't read it front to back but I keep delving in when needing some info.

P.S.  I always thought it was a mine of info?

Ha ha it is! Just complementing you on your eloquence. Loads of people say 'mind'...... and 'should of' instead of should have. Drives me 'balmy'!

Anyway, I think I'll get the book - ta for the heads up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll be getting this, the old volume has been a huge help in piecing together the L A soul and vocal group scene for me. I'm sure the info has been greatly expanded and corrected since that last book. However I would just say that nobody's work is definitive in this area. I recently had a soul fan from another forum let me know of about 10 "mistakes" I'd made in a sleevenote. On checking there were no mistakes he'd just been using the Soul Harmony Singles book as his source and I'd found later information that contradicted and corrected that.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Ha!  Good Ol' Steve!  I have lots of fond memories of fighting over records with him in Long Beach and L. A. Harbor Area thrift stores.  He has become a surprisingly good writer, and it's good that a lot of his vast knowledge has now gotten written down for posterity in his books.  Nobody has a better knowledge of the COMBINATION of L.A, Rhythm and Blues, Vocal Harmony Groups and early Soul groups and solo artists as he.  That book should be a MUST for any R&B Soul collector.

Social source share

Ha ha it is! Just complementing you on your eloquence. Loads of people say 'mind'...... and 'should of' instead of should have. Drives me 'balmy'!

Anyway, I think I'll get the book - ta for the heads up.

Oh no Stu that drives me barmy when people say complementing when they mean complimenting.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!