Record Postage From Usa

Ive just got a 45 in from the States and it says the postage was $3.35. How can all these con merchants justify what they charge! they charged me $8

Ive had an argument with a guy on Ebay who said he would not change his rules on combining shipping- If the records were more that 3 days apart when finished he charges$14 FOR EACH RECORD(LPS) It took several messages before he said he would pack and send them seperately. Should we have a new forum section called - Ebay Con Men"Dont touch them with a barge pole" Maybe they would get the message if people stopped using them. Consumer power and all that!

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ive just got a 45 in from the States and it says the postage was $3.35. How can all these con merchants justify what they charge! they charged me $8

Ive had an argument with a guy on Ebay who said he would not change his rules on combining shipping- If the records were more that 3 days apart when finished he charges$14 FOR EACH RECORD(LPS) It took several messages before he said he would pack and send them seperately. Should we have a new forum section called - Ebay Con Men"Dont touch them with a barge pole" Maybe they would get the message if people stopped using them. Consumer power and all that!

Hi

Shipping charges do very wildly one guy i buy off charged me $12 for 11 records another $8 for 1 record. Most seem to charge around $6.

If the shipping seems to high i tend to mail them and query it BEFORE i bid.

Derek

Social source share

This is a really bad problem that i've encountered as well, standard air mail for a single should be no more than $6 albums $12, I won a record on Ebay that has one of these "go to checkout" scams on it, the single postage was $14 :thumbsup: , I protested furiously with the seller, but of course you have commited to buy by then so there is nothing you can do about it, the seller replied that all shipping for any record or DVD was $14 and this did not include insurance, I reported him to Ebay and still await confirmation from the seller regading it, so beware this "go to checkout" racket

Lenny

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Here we go again, look if you don't want to pay the bloody postage don't bid, it's simple, you can moan all you like but if the guy states his conditions I don't see what the problem is. If no conditions then check with the seller, it's a simple procedure. Look before you cross the road guys, check both ways then proceed with caution. :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Here we go again, look if you don't want to pay the bloody postage don't bid, it's simple, you can moan all you like but if the guy states his conditions I don't see what the problem is. If no conditions then check with the seller, it's a simple procedure. Look before you cross the road guys, check both ways then proceed with caution. :D:thumbsup:

It's not a case of not wanting to pay postage, the thing I was referring to was the checkout scam, the payment method says postage will be calculated after checkout so you don't go thinking the guy wants nearly a tenner to post a single, nowhere on his site does he tell you how much international shipping is, a lesson learned of course but was just posting up a beware sign.

Social source share

Here we go again, look if you don't want to pay the bloody postage don't bid, it's simple, you can moan all you like but if the guy states his conditions I don't see what the problem is. If no conditions then check with the seller, it's a simple procedure. Look before you cross the road guys, check both ways then proceed with caution. :D:thumbsup:

Sorry but Im not having this-

Ebay is a bloody auction site not a shopping centre. Whats the point of having postage rates if the seller is just going to rip people off. Postage and packing is covered by so far as is reasonable. If the Postage was $3.35 and the box was $1 where is the bloody rest. Everyone who sells on ebay is a third party and their time etc does not count in a final price so they cannot use that as an excuse to bump up the postage .

How would you feel buying a car for £1000 from a dealer who says delivery cost is £50 £40 wage and £10 petrol only for him to pocket £20 of the wage aspect as a little earner- Would you be happy about that- I dont think so!

I think we should name and shame these rip off merchants as many of them dont highlight P&P to UK and before you reply -you dont ask the seller what his postage is 30 seconds before the end of the auction!

GOd Im angry about this cos its happened so many times I could have bought a decent record for the amount Ive been conned out of!

Social source share

Everyone who sells on ebay is a third party and their time etc does not count in a final price so they cannot use that as an excuse to bump up the postage .

It's funny how everyone gets upset at the thought that an ebay seller might charge extra on postage to cover their time etc, but no one cares if Amazon or the likes charge excessive postage. If you don't like the postage cost don't bid. And if you've bid before checking what the charge is then tough luck.

I spend about 5-8hrs a week packing records up and taking them to the PO, why shouldn't I factor that time into my postage costs??

Oh and before anyone asks I charge £1.25 for a 45 to be posted and £0.25 for each extra one.

Social source share

It's not a case of not wanting to pay postage, the thing I was referring to was the checkout scam, the payment method says postage will be calculated after checkout so you don't go thinking the guy wants nearly a tenner to post a single, nowhere on his site does he tell you how much international shipping is, a lesson learned of course but was just posting up a beware sign.

How can you be committed to buy if he has not stated the full price ? Shipping is a part of the deal so you should not be committed to buy if he charges exessive postage without stating prices up front.

It's funny how everyone gets upset at the thought that an ebay seller might charge extra on postage to cover their time etc, but no one cares if Amazon or the likes charge excessive postage.

Who is saying amazon has cheap postage ? Nobody in this thread as far as I can see :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Sorry but Im not having this-

Ebay is a bloody auction site not a shopping centre. Whats the point of having postage rates if the seller is just going to rip people off. Postage and packing is covered by so far as is reasonable. If the Postage was $3.35 and the box was $1 where is the bloody rest. Everyone who sells on ebay is a third party and their time etc does not count in a final price so they cannot use that as an excuse to bump up the postage .

How would you feel buying a car for £1000 from a dealer who says delivery cost is £50 £40 wage and £10 petrol only for him to pocket £20 of the wage aspect as a little earner- Would you be happy about that- I dont think so!

I think we should name and shame these rip off merchants as many of them dont highlight P&P to UK and before you reply -you dont ask the seller what his postage is 30 seconds before the end of the auction!

GOd Im angry about this cos its happened so many times I could have bought a decent record for the amount Ive been conned out of!

Ernie, try asking prior to 30 seconds from the end of the auction, or do you only look at items finishing under a minute? :thumbsup:
Social source share

How can you be committed to buy if he has not stated the full price ? Shipping is a part of the deal so you should not be committed to buy if he charges exessive postage without stating prices up front.

Lars, believe me this happens in particular when buying movies from Ebay, this guy clearly states that postage will be calculated after checkout, as said previously its a scam to get you to pay more postage, once you are past the commited to buy your hands are tied, as i've said lesson learned.

Social source share

$3.35 for a 45 to UK from US? Airmail? I can't send a 45 for less than $5.00!! How's he doing that?

I charge $6.00 to UK because top post a WELL PACKED 45 in a professional mailer with stiffeners costs 5.25 plus the cost of the packaging (80c), So I'm losing 5c on each package. I'd love to know how someone get do it for 3.35!

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

I got stuffed a few weeks ago by a seller who charged me $8 to ship from US to Canada. When I got the package actual cost was $3 and he didnt send it in a mailer just between 2 pieces of card!!

I charge $6 and can get 2 45's under the 200 grammes for that but I still had somebody question that last week.

The killer is the $14US charge to ship an album.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

$3.35 for a 45 to UK from US? Airmail? I can't send a 45 for less than $5.00!! How's he doing that?

I charge $6.00 to UK because top post a WELL PACKED 45 in a professional mailer with stiffeners costs 5.25 plus the cost of the packaging (80c), So I'm losing 5c on each package. I'd love to know how someone get do it for 3.35!

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave, cheers now we know what a standard mail out from a part of the States is, I suspect that they have different postal charges around the country can you confirm? Under $4 does seem cheap though. :D

UK postal charges are due to change shortly, from weight to size so if you are buying 12" or LP from UK expect to pay much higher charges, post office has advised my business to mail out A4 bent double so that it goes in an A5 envelope otherwise it will cost considerably more than at present. :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

Dave my email address is s.eckersley@nhs.net Mail me and Ill mail a photo of the packge back to you. $3.35 is on the package I kid you not

Social source share

Hi Dave, cheers now we know what a standard mail out from a part of the States is, I suspect that they have different postal charges around the country can you confirm? Under $4 does seem cheap though. :D

UK postal charges are due to change shortly, from weight to size so if you are buying 12" or LP from UK expect to pay much higher charges, post office has advised my business to mail out A4 bent double so that it goes in an A5 envelope otherwise it will cost considerably more than at present. :thumbsup::D

I work for ROYAL MAIL and got the new copy of the inhouse newspaper. It has a big article on the changes.

The main changes will affect A4 size letters including CD mailers they will be more expensive/ starting at 44p

. But PACKETS will still be charged on WEIGHT & DESTINATION so should not cost that much more if at all.

Derek

Social source share

Ernie, try asking prior to 30 seconds from the end of the auction, or do you only look at items finishing under a minute? :thumbsup:

Right- you walk into reaturant with less than a minute to go before they stop serving you order a staek with pepper sauce The Steak is £10 and your bill is £13 because you did not look at the price of sauces which were in small print at the bottom- Are you saying you should have been in the reatsurant an hour earlier to accept what the sellers whole price rate was! Dont think so!

I do look at auctions well in advancebut sometimes I just go on ebay and see something at the last minute like alot of people do but what they dont expect is to get ripped off which is what these people are doing. What if you bought a record off me and I decided to pack it in a large box with quite alot of weight in it. All I put down on the postages area was to be sent first class. In anormal mailer it would be about a pound for one record but because I put it in a big box it cost £3 would be happy with that!

Social source share

$7.00 seems to be standard for one 45 won from USA sellers which i'm happy to pay, well i was last night when i won a Bettye Lavette - What's My Condition etc. for a snip of the price, it's all swings and slides guys, take advantage of the lower selling prices right now and swallow the postage, at the end of the day if you play Ebay as many of us do for bargains and the many records that slip through at low prices then it's all part and parcel of the game...whopps sorry there a wee bit of a joke there...lol, I had issues with Ebay more due to being ripped off a couple of times and did not use it for about 18 months, everything is back to normal now and i'm having a ball.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

Most packages I get are 4.50 up to 8.00, but sometimes the odd package has arrived with 3.55 on it. Can't figure out why since they're packed with the same mailer and stiffeners :thumbsup:

Shipping from Norway is expensive so I often end up shipping with a small loss.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Right- you walk into reaturant with less than a minute to go before they stop serving you order a staek with pepper sauce The Steak is £10 and your bill is £13 because you did not look at the price of sauces which were in small print at the bottom- Are you saying you should have been in the reatsurant an hour earlier to accept what the sellers whole price rate was! Dont think so!

I do look at auctions well in advancebut sometimes I just go on ebay and see something at the last minute like alot of people do but what they dont expect is to get ripped off which is what these people are doing. What if you bought a record off me and I decided to pack it in a large box with quite alot of weight in it. All I put down on the postages area was to be sent first class. In anormal mailer it would be about a pound for one record but because I put it in a big box it cost £3 would be happy with that!

Ernie, I'm afraid you only get ripped off if you allow yourself to be, simple if you feel you are being ripped off, don't go ahead with the purchase, or if you go ahead leave feedback with regards the additional charges then other people can see upfront that you're not happy with it. By all accounts if you only bid last minute without reading the full text then who knows what you have bid on, the title may have little bearing on the product being actually sold, so unless you read the whole of the item description then I can't see how you can complain. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Dont doubt what your saying Mate at all. Just puzzling that the minimum charge I can provide is so much higher than someone else in the same country. There's no doubt that the cost of postage here in the US is generally higher than in UK. The Scandanavians are in an even worse position.

The next hike that comes along here in the US is going to push my shipping charges to $7.00 for 1 x 45. Seems expensive when you can send the same package the other way for half that I know. It's just the way it is I'm afaid.

One silver cloud for UK buyers is the exchange rate though. It's killing us over here. I've stopped buying ANYTHING from UK at the moment. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I ship my 45's Oversize Letter Air Mail and last year Canada Post tried to cash in on the Ebay thing by saying the only thing that could go letter was a letter and anything else had to go Parcel. This pushed up postage by about $1.50 for a 45 which was just money grabbing.

The outrage from Canadians was so great that this idea lasted 1 week before they went back to the old routine.

Social source share

Yeah Ernie...you got an issue

here's a tissue..

dry yer eyes min

and wind your neck in

youll pop a gasket mate

haha

you working this weekend?

maybe be in on Saturday night for a feed or 2

Yes Im working Friday +Saturday Need the Damn Money to pay the leeches(Solicitors)

Hopefully see you at weekend

Social source share

Of the 45s I've sold on e-bay and shipped to UK & Europe in the last 2 years, I don't believe I've seen postage at less than $4.80. Generally runs between this and $5.60 for one 45 in a cardboard mailer + and usually 2 inserts. I charge $6.00 to be safe.

Social source share

I have just paid $15 postage to an ebay seller Abeze_online , a bit steep but he uses global priority mail. The delivery was super fast it would have been 3 days from the states exept the parcel was so big the postman could not post , therefore I had to go and collect it the next day

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

Er...how much cheaper was the record from the States compared to what you'd have paid from a UK dealer?

Social source share

Er...how much cheaper was the record from the States compared to what you'd have paid from a UK dealer?

Sorry thats irrelevant- Some people pay more for records off the bay than some dealers here sell for and still get ripped off with the postage.

If it wasnt for us Brits you wouldnt be selling any of this stuff and it would be consigned to the recycling dump!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!