80's Spots At Allniters

• Replies 68
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do any current allnighter deejays do a predominantley 80's l spot at allniters ?

:D

Simon M

Hardly hear any 80's at nighters Simon.............thank god :thumbsup:

Social source share

Are disco club classics included in the "northern" nights now, reminds me of the good old Nottingham Palais all dayers with its Jazz Funk infusion, would attract a diverse crowd, must have helped widen a few peoples music tastes if they wandered through the 2 rooms, well it did me.

danny

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I played 3 80s tracks in my last niter spot,frank and james how long is forever,back to my roots oddesy and tribute pasadenas,slipped em in along side some 70s stuff no problem.Dont think you could actualy do a full spot of 80s at any of the big niters imho :thumbsup: .

Pasadenas 'Tribute'?????????? Good call Andy, not many would have the balls to play that on the modern scene, let alone the northern scene. :D

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Are disco club classics included in the "northern" nights now, reminds me of the good old Nottingham Palais all dayers with its Jazz Funk infusion, would attract a diverse crowd, must have helped widen a few peoples music tastes if they wandered through the 2 rooms, well it did me.

danny

I hope not
Social source share

Hey Simon, in my opinion, 80s is too sensitive sound not to be understood easily for todays floor. Really superb soul music, it's modern soul... :D

Yeah I think your right Tad .. Japan is more open minded to the 80's and modern sounds these days I guess :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest marco i

Pasadenas 'Tribute'?????????? Good call Andy, not many would have the balls to play that on the modern scene, let alone the northern scene. :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who likes their version of "Living in the footsteps of another man"? :D

Social source share

Am I the only one who likes their version of "Living in the footsteps of another man"? :thumbsup:

Well I love everything the Pasadenas did! :D I wouldn't dance to it though :D

Social source share

Guest marco i

Well I love everything the Pasadenas did! :D I wouldn't dance to it though :D

Friday afternoon at the bar session in Rimini get ready to do it, since I'm going to play it for you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Yeah I think your right Tad .. Japan is more open minded to the 80's and modern sounds these days I guess :thumbsup:

I think one of the slight problems with 80s soul is that such a lot of it sounds so dated now.

Social source share

I think one of the slight problems with 80s soul is that such a lot of it sounds so dated now.

Totally agree its because they had the use in most case's of a synth, was talking on sat night about how 60's music in general will never be out dated, form the 60's soul sounds to some of the rock and Garage. Of course most of the 60's pop sounds do sound very dated, i'll bet in 40-100 years time i bet alot of people will still be listening to 60's music.

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Shocked! Some fantastic 80's recorsd have been played over the years, I still think it could work.

Lou Ragland, Garfield Fleming etc

Anything else from you Tony?! :lol: I know you have the sense to every decade, 6,7,8Ts... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dodger
? Soulgirl ? said:
Well I love everything the Pasadenas did! :thumbsup: I wouldn't dance to it though :lol:

At the risk of a slap from the mods for uploading tunes, cop this from the Pasadenas - not 80s, it's 1995 - but the best thing they did imho.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Totally agree its because they had the use in most case's of a synth, was talking on sat night about how 60's music in general will never be out dated, form the 60's soul sounds to some of the rock and Garage. Of course most of the 60's pop sounds do sound very dated, i'll bet in 40-100 years time i bet alot of people will still be listening to 60's music.

I feel the same about 70s 'strings'n'things' productions, totally timeless soul music imo.

Social source share

I think chalky may well be hitting us with a list of 80's allniter sounds for this thread .

I think it was him who said that this decade was more or less absent at todays niters !!.

Gregg Perry made the top 100 NS sounds I'm sure :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I feel the same about 70s 'strings'n'things' productions, totally timeless soul music imo.

Actually agree there too Rog, as with some 80's sounds im not just talking soul either, but the whole introduction of the synth in the 80's makes most of that decade sound very dated :thumbsup:

Social source share

Everything sounds dated to me these days Im afraid ... especially house music ( an 80's style of music) ,

however as long as its good I'll put up with everything sounding dated ... :lol:

for the thread , I reckon u could get away with a 80's only spot at an allniter today (u just need the right deejay ).. Herby Brown is 80's just .. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I played 3 80s tracks in my last niter spot,frank and james how long is forever,back to my roots oddesy and tribute pasadenas,slipped em in along side some 70s stuff no problem.Dont think you could actualy do a full spot of 80s at any of the big niters imho :thumbsup: .

:lol: Bloody hell, i wish i was as brave as you Andy. Good on ya :lol: Looking forward to middleton now.

M.

Social source share

Everything sounds dated to me these days Im afraid ... especially house music ( an 80's style of music) ,

Simon, try listening to some recent stuff from DJ Spinna,Jazzanova,King Britt, anything on Sonar Kollektive...I bet Paul and Gary on the notorious car journey at the weekend would'nt have agreed with you??!!

Social source share

Simon, try listening to some recent stuff from DJ Spinna,Jazzanova,King Britt, anything on Sonar Kollektive...I bet Paul and Gary on the notorious car journey at the weekend would'nt have agreed with you??!!

Yeah I have some of that Robin .. must say it sounds messy at the moment , having been used to beat match for decades .. But Im digging it!! have u got the Gerd cd ? , Gary will get his way Im sure ..

:thumbsup: However most stuff does sound dated dont you think? and . most of the Urban stuff will sound double shit in ten years time ! sparse and splashy

Getting back to the point 80's should be played at niters ? :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Dodger

Yeah I have some of that Robin .. must say it sounds messy at the moment

Have to agree with that for the most part, it's very much an acquired taste.

Social source share

Here's a few nice 80's choons to whet your appetites :thumbsup:

What does It Take - Bubddy Miles & The California Raisins

Good Good Lovin' - Charles Johnson

Love Has Come Around - Donald Byrd & 125th Street N.Y.C.

I Can Tell - Ed Summers

Will You Love Me - Eramus Hall

I Want You - Exportations

You've Got Me Where I Want You - Gene Van Burren

Keep On Doin' - Glen Jones

I'm Totally Yours - Hi Gloss

Try To Walk A Mile - John Brothers

Gotta' Find My Way Back Into Your Heart - Keni Burke

Key To The World - L.J. Reynolds

Just What I Need - Lenny Welch

Inside Your Love - Leon Ware

Don't Bring Back Memories - Passion

One way Love Affair - Sadane

I Just Want To Fall In Love - The Spinners

Body Fusion - Starvue

(It Was) September - Superior Elevation

Part Time Love - Tomorrow's Edition

All My Love - Wreckin' Crew

Edited by Chunky
Social source share

Have to agree with that for the most part, it's very much an acquired taste.

Yeah I do know what you mean Roger, but I have been liking it for some time now. I like the fusion of different styles (House,Jazz,Boogie...) and quite often some great soulful vocals too!

Social source share

Some great overlooked stuff about in the 80s.

Might be wrong but IMO the biggest problem with 80s sounds is they are too new for the old Soul fans & too old for the new Soul fans & i think some of the comments on this thread so far prove my point.

To have a listen to some great 80s tracks click on the link below.

https://www.danceclassics.net/vinyl1.htm

Nice to hear The Pasadenas again Roger :thumbsup: .

Any news on a release date for the new John Banfield track? ( can't remember the title of it for the life of me )

Sounded really nice when Terry Gee spun the promo of it at our last night.

Mart...

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Might be wrong but IMO the biggest problem with 80s sounds is they are too new for the old Soul fans & too old for the new Soul fans & i think some of the comments on this thread so far prove my point.

Don't know about that to be honest Mart. I'm a big big fan of 80s soul, it's pretty much what I grew up on when my interest in soul music was first at it's peak, but it was a very hit and miss decade in terms of quality of releases, particularly from 85 onwards.

There's good in all the genres as we all know and to be honest there's no real reason why the right 80s tracks shouldn't work anywhere. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Guest Dodger

Yes Rog it could work , it would maybe plug the divide , (Old Sammy boy plays some 80's) and theres enough top sounds from that decade .

Coincidentally I've been sitting here CDR'ing 80s LP tracks for this coming Sunday's Starpoint show. Wonder if Rahmlee 'Heartbreaker' would work at a nighter!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Coincidentally I've been sitting here CDR'ing 80s LP tracks for this coming Sunday's Starpoint show. Wonder if Rahmlee 'Heartbreaker' would work at a nighter!! :lol:

Well I seem to remember (only just mind ) playing "Think" ,at a Bedford allniter :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't know about that to be honest Mart. I'm a big big fan of 80s soul, it's pretty much what I grew up on when my interest in soul music was first at it's peak, but it was a very hit and miss decade in terms of quality of releases, particularly from 85 onwards.

There's good in all the genres as we all know and to be honest there's no real reason why the right 80s tracks should work anywhere. :thumbsup:

Know what you mean r/e 1985 onwards & myself personally would continue that right through to the mid 90s, the good stuff was there but you just had to dig a little deeper to find it as everybody seemed to be heading in about 12 different directions at the same time.

Just a generalisation by me but the 80s were post Philly & Disco & pre House & RnB if you know what i mean. Somewhere in the middle of that lot you can stick the introduction of the Synthisized sound but thankfully roundabout the mid 90s everything seemed to get back on a level playing field.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, what about the Banfield track?

Mart...

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Well I seem to remember (only just mind ) playing "Think" ,at a Bedford allniter :thumbsup:

Just played that! :lol: Marc Sadane 'Baby Wont'cha' currently on the decks. Top tune.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Anyway, what about the Banfield track?

Don't now owt about about it mate, I'm not up with the house stuff these days.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Just playing BOF " i got ya number " fanny tastic !!

https://www.danceclassics.net/images/Thumbs/pages/BOF.htm

Afterbach (ft. Robert Brookins) 'It's You' currently going round on one of those strange small records with a big hole in the middle. Remember that?

Just before it was Rhyze 'Just How Sweet Is Your Love' - you must like that one, it's on the SAM label!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Richard Searling played a predominanlty 80ss set towards end of morecambe pier days in 86 and then at carleton after that

marc sadane anita baker controllers gerald mallory gary taylor jean carn glenn jones keni burke

jerry knight norman connors willie collins rockie robbins etc etc

quite a lot of good 80ss tracks still to be played if you ask me

I love tell me why harold melvin does that get played??

wont list loads we know theres plenty of em out there

just been listening to impressions i dont wanna lose you love...havent heard that for years deserves plays!!!!

interesting thread.......................

every modern room should have some of these great 80ss tunes played............

Social source share

Afterbach (ft. Robert Brookins) 'It's You' currently going round on one of those strange small records with a big hole in the middle. Remember that?

Just before it was Rhyze 'Just How Sweet Is Your Love' - you must like that one, it's on the SAM label!! :thumbsup:

Oh man ... your telling me Sammy boy had his own lable .. hes a God! :lol:

Agree with the Searling comment . top 80's tunes from that man , no question .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest soul4life

hi ya all, the john banfield track who was the lead singer of the said 8ts group is called no.1 its just been released on the u.k label shack music its one of the best soulful dance releases of the year so far and can be obtained thru juno records so do yourself a favour and grab this goodie while you can the jihad muhammid remix is awesome!!!

regards terry :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!