Rip Frankie Knuckles

Barry

sad news indeed
was listening to a early mix of his just yeterday

here's a news clip

Frankie Knuckles, the Chicago house legend, has died aged 59. 

Knuckles died Monday, as confirmed by longtime business partner, Frederick Dunson. According to the Chicago Tribune, more details would be confirmed today, with Dunson writing in an email that Knuckles “died unexpectedly this afternoon at home.”

Social source share

Cant post on the thread started by Mike,  but Frankie's passing very much needs a look at his music on this forum. Ive got used to 6ts and 7ts soul singers passing with quite regularity; but this guy was something else, this is a terrible shame for such a talented artist.

Here's two favorite tracks, lots of great memories attached to these two...

Frankie Knuckles - The Whistle Song (Virgin Records 1991) and Frankie Knuckles Presents Satoshi Tomiie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opewcd5gKHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdimVDuSEU

Frankie Knuckles Rest in peace...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Cant post on the thread started by Mike,  but Frankie's passing very much needs a look at his music on this forum. Ive got used to 6ts and 7ts soul singers passing with quite regularity; but this guy was something else, this is a terrible shame for such a talented artist.

Mal

have just merged your post into Barrys thread

as said in the news post..

its best if use this thread for comments

reason being is Barry passed on the news and can't transfer threads into news anymore once commented

:thumbsup:  ?

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Frankie a true legend in house music over the years will surely be missed by his fellow Djs and us to.Glad i had the pleasure of seeing him perform a few years ago his music will live on,its no age to die being at the prime of his life hes left us with a legancy of wonderful music long live the Godfather of House Music R.I.P Mr Knuckles god bless you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know a place
Where we can we all just be free
I know a place 
Where karma is not a factor you’ll see

I’ll take you there, oh, I’ll take you there

I know a place
Where we can all live in harmony
And I know a place
There’s no wars to fight everyone lives in peace
Come on and follow me

I know a place
Where we can live like naturally
And I know a place
Where the children can play and believe in their dreams
Come on and follow me

© Jamie Principle

“I’ll Take You There” — Frankie Knuckles feat Jamie Principle

R.I.P. Frankie Knuckles January 18, 1955 — March 31, 2014

Ian D 
Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

A great loss to music. Frankie was one of the pioneers, and a very nice bloke with it. Saw him a few times, and had the opportunity to sit and have a chat with him on a couple of occasions. He knew his music, and was so passionate about music in general too.

R.I.P. Frankie.

Social source share

A truly sad day, as an earlier poster pointed out, it has come far too soon. 

Frankie was a creative genius who did much to advance the cause of not just house but soul music too I had the privilege of meeting him once (while shopping for clothes in Nottingham can you believe?) they say you should never meet your heroes but he was charm personified, seemed to me to be a very humble man for one so talented.

RIP Frankie, you will be missed.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Too, too young to go. Ah its too sad.

Rest in Peace.

I was introduced to him once in the 8ts in London, a genuine  smile and a friendly handshake "How ya doin' ? Nice to meet you", a warm friendly guy.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I was honoured to be at Renaisance in Mansfield (the old Trotters venue) when Frankie played there, around 91 / 92. One of the better nights I've had, think Jocko crashed his car afterwards ;)

A true pioneer and tracks like this, Tears, your love started me on the path to my second loves House and Detroit Techno.

RIP Frankie Knuckles.

https://youtu.be/8es4gOoJgXc

Social source share

I'm gutted! This is very sad ! A true Gent and a big loss to music, n to think most kids today don't even know who this guy is. Its not right!

I have a wee Frankie Knuckles story, It was the one n only time I ever met him.

It was 1998, I was 18 years old n I had'nt been Djing around Dublin City for that long because of my age! I got into Northern Soul at the age of 15 and had been collecting solidly over that period collecting only Northern and as every1 on here know's when Northern grabs you by the short n curlys there ain't no going back.

As a result I missed the whole House thing and my intro to House actualy came from spending time in the modern rooms at various allnighters and this is where I first heard Tears.

I thought, Brian thats bloody good, you gotta get that, so i did.

At that time this was my one n only House record in a Northern collection. Any way this one day back 98 a pal of mine asks me last min.com if I would 'nt mind doing a set of Northern/70's in this bar thats part of a big club Venue called The Pod. It was the 2 of us for the night rotating every hour. Obviously delighted to get a gig I only too gladly jumped at the chance.

Now we all make mistakes, this one was priceless. Still very much earning my stripes n very eager to impress I was straight to the box to sort out the set for that night. I got the tunes together n as I was leaving home to head to the Venue I said Feck it I'll bring that Frankie Knuckles thing I just got n I'll drop that. MISTAKE!

I'll explain how this went. Joey kicked it off n I went next. Following on from Joeys storming Northern set I hopefuly continued in the same vein, heading towards the 70's stuff at end of my first hour. Punters were grooving and there was a good vibe brewing n I thought to myself nice wan! It was then I decided to drop the Frankie Knuckles.

Imagine this, the Dj box overlooks the bar about 20 foot up and the only way into it is up a ladder. The tune had only just started n this nice Fella climbs the ladder with a big smile n sez "Hi ! Nice tunes kid whats yr name? Thanks mate, Brian Dunne, whats yours

Mine is Frankie Knuckles". gulp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like feck off ya fucking with me n he laughed,

"No I'm playing next door in the Red box later(The Pod) why don't ya come in! I was in shock! He laughed again n said "did ya not know I was playing"? I just looked at him n laughed n and said No ! (He knew) n he said its ok I did'nt know you were playing either and we both pissed ourselves laughing.

I Did'nt know he was playing the main venue next door. Classic stuff. Lesson learned, always know who's playing the venue you are doing warm up for.

We finished early that night n went next door to hear a master at work, truely awesome.

Frankie Knuckles thank you for making a very awkward moment very funny, being a complete gent and most of all the Music!

RIP

Clint

Hey Brian

Long time no see!!!!!!

Hope you're well ? with the exception of the sad news today, of course  :(

Great story you've shared with us, made me smile (& laugh) lots, so cheers :thumbsup:   

Sadly, I don't have any Frankie stories to share, as I only came into contact with him at the Southport Weekender's (well, me & 2000 others  :rolleyes: )   Still, to be in the same room as him, breathing the same sweaty air, loving the same music, is satisfaction in itself. 

Take care fella & all the best

Ali x 

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Hey Ali,

Hope you are keeping well too, Its been far too long.

Thanks! glad that made ya laugh. Makes me laugh aswell. I mean how could he not know I was playing. Fuck sake like! (Jokin of course)

U know me, I have a tendency to do daft quite well n it was like he had my number within 5 seconds. The way he dealth with my awkwardness , ha ha what a pro.

A propper Legend!

It was mad, two strangers cracking eachother up after just a few words. Brilliant ! n then the realisation that he was watching me cue up the next tune. Aaaaghh !

In my head I'm like I hope he ain 't watching this but I think he was just curious to know what was coming next. It was Glenda Mcleod!

N like that he was gone!

Seriously , What a cool bloke

Thats mad , I've only just noticed we share a birthday,

Somewhere there's a soul heaven bro

Laters

Hey Keep intouch Al. x

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I feel blessed to have seen Frankie Knuckles DJ a few times starting from the early 90s.

Both his music productions and selections were a huge influence in my semi-professional career as a DJ (they paid us occasionally), running parallel with some fantastic nights out as a house music lover.

Thanks for the good times, good vibes and memories.

RIP Frankie Knuckles.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!