Any Records Recorded Or Released Under Suffrance

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

On almost every record I ever listen to it sounds as if the artist/s is giving it their all.

But it seems to me there must have been occasions when any artist really didn't like a track they were given to record.

Could be they didn't like the basic tune, the lyrics, the key they had to sing it in, or even the final production job.

Are there are known examples where an artist genuinely didn't like a track they had recorded. Even tried to distance themselves from it.

The only record I can think that might fit the bill is Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear LP. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't even know that LP but I heard that all the proceeds were to go to estranged wife Anna. So he didn't even try on it. 

Are there any others . . . . .

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mary Wells recorded a bunch of songs for Motown after she decide not to re-sign with them and she didn't have her heart in them.  But she was such a great singer and professional, that only her biggest fans can tell the difference ("When I'm Gone" is a good example).

Social source share

A lot of Motown material seems to have been a case of Berry Gordy telling singers and groups to record this or that track. Of course, this led to artists like Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye insisting upon more control over their careers.

Wasn't one of Martha and the Vandellas biggest hits recorded under duress? I seem to recall Martha Reeves saying she tried to sound bored on the record. Jimmy Mack perhaps?

Edited by ElGeePee
Social source share

Guest penny

Pretty sure I heard that jean dushon always detested 'second class lover' and got persuaded to record it or something - she was a sophisticated jazz singer and thought it was too street-level for her

Social source share

I was always highly sceptical of Dave Godin's insistence that Irma Thomas's 'Anyone Who Knows What Love Is Will Understand' was the one-off perfect take on the single and messed up on the LP version - as a 'protest' by Irma. Er..right Dave. 

I think It's a nice fantasy that people have about soul singers coming into the studio all spiritually fired-up and doing one incredible take. In reality there was probably a lot of sitting around and things going wrong, not to mention drugs, booze and personal conflicts going on.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!