The Bootleg "everybody" Sells As An Original

I would go with Anderson Brothers, bought mine as original in 76 and still not sure if it is or not, so many conflicting posts, would love to see the definitive answer once and for all.

Three bootlegs -

Vinyl with a dip on the label close to the centre hole

Vinyl with the initials PB in the run out

Styrene copy

Social source share

Not sure if this one has already been mentioned but maybe Johnny Vanelli Seven days of loving you on pre-vue.

Said to have only sold 500 when released but loads of bootlegs around.

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

I think the most important bit of info from the OP that we've all overlooked is "There's only one bootleg I sell as an original - and I'm not going to tell you what it is because everyone sells it as an original".

The way I interpret this comment is, this bootleg is sold as an original because the recording was never issued/released at all;i.e., Gladys Knight "Here are the pieces of my broken heart".

However I may be and am usually wrong.

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 22:23, Louise said:

Gwen & Ray "Build Your House On A Strong Foundation" Bee Bee ?

Dave

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 23:54, pogo paul said:

I was sold this as original in the 80s , it's not , from dealer think you are talking about.

Just reading through this old topic and I think this is probably spot on. I had a definite original of this in the early 80's I bought off either Ian O'Hara or Ron Pedley for £30. Very very rare only ever saw one other. Roll on to mid 80's and Pat Brady has an original on his list for £15 which I snapped up. When I received the record you could tell it wasn't real next to the original but it was a very good copy. I informed Mr Brady it wasn't real and he took it straight back. I still have £15 credit owed to me !! Think I sold it to Jimmy Wensoira for about £50

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Paul R said:

Turning the topic in its head a bit, I bought a Moses Smith GATS for 50p in 1974, knowing it was a boot. Moving on 30 years, I was pricing my records up to sell them and using Manships Boot guide I found out Moses was an original!

Same here mate, I bought one in 75 as a boot & it turned out to be an original.....Unfortunately I sold mine some years later still thinking it was a boot. It begs the question were any of them sold 74/75/76 boots or were they all originals ?

Edited by Merve
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The record dealer was probably just talking bollocks, dealers are well known for all this 'nudge nudge wink wink' stuff, especially NS dealers, they are the worst at talking in riddles and testing people's knowledge when half the time they are just regurgitating nonsense. I dread it at fairs when I start looking through the records of a 'talkative' dealer. You know the sort, inevitably they start providing a running commentary on any record you look at for more than one second - 'well you know who that really is don't you'...'of course you know the story about that one don't you'...nudge nudge wink wink...

Social source share

17 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Moses Smith- Girl Across The Street was distributed by Jamie/ Guyden and sold in Philadelphia by Universal on North Broad Street. Global Records US warehouse was on the same street and the owner, Ed Balbier, would pick up the orders from them for sending back to the UK. Around 74 when I was working for Global in Manchester, one shipment had at least 200 copies of the record which were then sold to Global's retail customers around the country. I don't think Balbier knew the record so he must have been told the record was in demand by the staff there, maybe John Anderson had already had some copies. These were identical to previous copies that DJs and collectors already had so must have been from the original pressing or at least pressed from the same stampers and label stock. I can't remember if the records had a plain sleeve or a company sleeve. Jamie/Guyden never seemed to delete titles or chuck out unsold stock. They would re-press some titles for the UK market but these were usually styrene instead of vinyl.

As far as I remember Global didn't get anymore copies of Girl Across The Street after the first shipment which is likely to mean the copies were old stock rather than a legitimate new pressing. 

In the late 70s quite a lot of in demand titles would turn up in large quantities that were original pressings and sold to the record shops that sold legitimate reissues as well as obvious bootlegs. So anyone buying records back then could have bought a 100% original without knowing, or caring. 

Makes perfect sense. I bought mine from JA in early 75. Thanks for that info - Should have held on to it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!