Brenda Holloway When I'm Gone Rare Mix Matrix Promo

Podge

Have one of these, it is the rarer mix matrix,white label promo, have an old Manship guide that lists it at £100 ish, anyone know the current going rate ?

Anyone looking for one at the moment ?

Thanks,

Nick

Social source share

I've got the DM WXL-114312 mix. Twin globes design.

It sounds like "When I'm gone" to me, though it's supposed to be alternate version. What does the commoner version sound like ?  Wasn't even aware until say last 3-4 years there were "supposedly" two mixes.  I mean there obviously are 2 mixes [as two numbers] but wonder if difference is that noticeable.

Nick, Im looking at JM 5th edition here. £50 for Demo. No mention of WXL mix with the demo version

Copy I have is listed at £106, with what I assume is commoner WXbi18209 at £30.

As to rarity between the two. I bought mine oblivious and ended up with rare version.

Have a look at this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/176985/i.html?Genre=R%2526B%2520%2526%2520Soul%7CR%2526B%2520%2526%2520Soul&_sop=1&Speed=45%2520RPM&_from=R40&_nkw=Brenda+Holloway+When+I%27m+gone

I've looked at first few pics and can see 3 rare alternate WXL versions. There may be more.

Im beginning to think faulty info really.

ROD

Social source share

I've got the DM WXL-114312 mix. Twin globes design.

It sounds like "When I'm gone" to me, though it's supposed to be alternate version. What does the commoner version sound like ?  Wasn't even aware until say last 3-4 years there were "supposedly" two mixes.  I mean there obviously are 2 mixes [as two numbers] but wonder if difference is that noticeable.

Nick, Im looking at JM 5th edition here. £50 for Demo. No mention of WXL mix with the demo version

Copy I have is listed at £106, with what I assume is commoner WXbi18209 at £30.

As to rarity between the two. I bought mine oblivious and ended up with rare version.

Have a look at this

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Records-/176985/i.html?Genre=R%2526B%2520%2526%2520Soul%7CR%2526B%2520%2526%2520Soul&_sop=1&Speed=45%2520RPM&_from=R40&_nkw=Brenda+Holloway+When+I%27m+gone

I've looked at first few pics and can see 3 rare alternate WXL versions. There may be more.

Im beginning to think faulty info really.

ROD

Got that same mix myself Rod, and like you bought it long ago as a cheap record oblivious to any different mixes... might stick it on my YouTube channel as a reference for that mix?

Social source share

Have you heard other mix Steve ?

I guess if you put it on channel you can then listen to other copies on YT to find difference.

I just checked and I have the track on 60's Hitsville UK comp. Have a listen later but then I don't know which mix they used for that.

For Nick's purposes I guess all you can say that demo is obviously rarer than regular and forget mixes ?

ROD

Social source share

Have you heard other mix Steve ?

I guess if you put it on channel you can then listen to other copies on YT to find difference.

I just checked and I have the track on 60's Hitsville UK comp. Have a listen later but then I don't know which mix they used for that.

For Nick's purposes I guess all you can say that demo is obviously rarer than regular and forget mixes ?

ROD

here's the "DM WXL" mix, don't know how it compares to the other mix? https://youtu.be/5KhcqxIUi6M

Social source share

Always wondered what the difference was got this copy years ago,but we still don't have an answer ? A bit more info under matrix click on image.

25394378-c23.jpg

here is another you tube clip different matrix  Still baffled but that ain't difficult  !

Edited by smudger
Social source share

yes as far as i know it's same version just different and suppose lower volume press, the US goldmine valuation book had it at $350 a few years back, if i can find it i'll post up what it said about it !!

As for a value well in the eyes of the beholder i suppose, maybe a bit more as it's rarer but it's same song so could be valued as say a local press over a national one ?

Social source share

Ian, on US EBay now there are 8 rarer copies to 3 common copies. ON UK there are 2 out of 3. Third doesn't have a picture

Both Steve and I got rarer both by chance.

Looking like when talking about regular issues it ain't .

As I said demo is rarer and I can't see a WXL WDJ on EBay, just two copies of WXB.

Could be just Nick's WXL WDJ that is actually rare and not regular issues.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always wondered what the difference was got this copy years ago,but we still don't have an answer ? A bit more info under matrix click on image.

25394378-c23.jpg

here is another you tube clip different matrix  Still baffled but that ain't difficult  !

Don't know if it's my ears or what but this version seems more subtle.... at least the intro is.... i think :g:

P.S, one of my daughters all time fave's

Social source share

Thanks for the input guys, I have listened to both WXL and WXB and can hear no obvious difference in the mix, if there is anything then it is pretty subtle I think. My copy, which I will post up a snap of, is an ''Audition copy-Not for sale'' not promotional copy, could this be yet another twist on it all, is yours the same Ian ?

I bought this totally unaware of the difference some years ago in Chicago. The price is irrelevant really but did notice in my copy of JM's it was listed @ £106, think mine is JM's 2 and wondered what the price was today.

Out of all the labels the white Motown labels just do it for me :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!