Yate Reunion And Ian Clark

Floyd

I spent many pleasant hours chatting to Ian when he managed Collectors Records in Guildford, as well as hearing him spin at various venues over the years.   Rarely heard a bad track.   My only regret was swapping the Blair Nightlife LP with Ian and I can't even remember what for.

I agree one of the true gents on the UK soulscene.

Social source share

I still get his lists every so often, I do love actually getting a list through the door, re live the old BUZZ!! Yellow marker at the ready......Not quite the same sine the Inter web came on the scene is it...

Ian Clarke at the Brighton Record fair throughout the 9ts, when Jesse Fisher - Your not Loving a Beginner WAS a £25 record...!!!  Lol

Malcolm

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ian Clark, my mentor and friend without question the guvnor, head and shoulders top of the tree.

Ditto Mark......

The best.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Great Memories of Ians Sets at the 100 club in the 80s 

and his sales boxes full of Top Tunes at great prices.

Al H :)

Social source share

I would like to concur with everyone above, never met him, but I've bought records off him for the last 15 years or so and he's always struck me as being one of the good guys. He gave me his personal copy of that Kent white label 12" promo, for no reason other than he wanted to support an enthusiastic "young" DJ - top bloke. Lovely to hear he's had a wee baby...

I've never had the pleasure of one of his DJ sets, but judging from all the comments above... WHY ON EARTH WASN'T HE ASKED TO PLAY AT THE YATE RE-UNION?????? The words "very" and 'strange" spring to mind...  :g:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I have always rated Ian clark as one of the best DJ`s, during the scene`s long history. Have had the pleasure of seeing him DJ at many allnighters, the one that always sticks out in my memory is when he came on at the Ric tic revue  at Hinckley in January 1983, straight after the live act`s.  I wish him all the best where ever life takes him.

Social source share

Yes Ian is a great guy bought many a record off him and stayed at his lovely b/b in North Walsham(hope hes still got it) not had his lists of late like the posts say his he a very busy and a true gentleman

Phil

Social source share

Clarkie and his specs! Top man and someone who has pointed me in the direction of many a fine toon long before anyone else had even heard it or knew it existed. His reviews and lists were often a source of much running of feet down stairs to get it before it hit the doormat. As said top man. I remember his Hinckley Ric Tic set too, the man hasn't been given proper praise for his sets or taste (even though he did look like Clarke Kent!) in my view.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!