Dave Godin's Funeral

Many thanks to Mike and the Soul Source team for such a grand gesture as shutting down the site as a mark of respect yesterday. It was really appreciated and correctly appreciated the size of the loss to our community.

The funeral was an enlightening experience reflecting all the facets of Dave's rich and passionate life. Anarchists, psychics, film buffs, broadcasters, vegans, ALFers, commies and soul people all mixed together to give Dave a unique send-off. A dalmatian puppy/dog, named after Ernie Johnson, roamed freely inside the chapel. There were speakers on film censorship, anti-vivisection, herbalism, and a street revolutionary who swore a lot and had a proud history of thumping coppers!

The music was provided by the theme from "Gone With The Wind", Ruth Brown's 'Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean', Gladys Knight's 'Just Walk In My Shoes' and of course finished with Jaibi's 'You Got Me' at Dave's insistence.

I gave a potted history of Dave's love affair with Blackamerican music and read out tributes from the 6ts website book of condolence, David Nathan and Bettye Lavette. A letter from Bessie Banks was given at incredibly short notice to Dave Leedham to read out and Sean Hampsey made a magnificently apt last speech about Dave; all the more remarkable because he was only warned he was doing it an hour before.

Sean and Kev Briscoe with the help of John Vincent played some great soul tunes at the hotel wake/party in the evening where both sides of the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society 'Greetings from Motown' were played. Many thanks must go to Dougie Hall and Linda for providing the top notch equipment and to Kolla for running the DG tributes on the 6ts site; they're just about at 200 now!

Thanks to all who came and paid their respects and to all who sent such beautiful messages. Dave's memory will live on in all sorts of ways, so watch out for further news.

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!