Distinctive Soul Voices

Guest soul_hull

Guest soul_hull

some soulsters - you just know it's them, even if it's a new track to your ears.

eg, sam cooke, you know it's him. oscar perry - sounds like no-one else imo. also, garland green i think has a completely unique voice/timbre (nore use of posh word!), although, bizarrely, not that far removed from OP imho!

who would you say has a voice that unquestionably unique?

***note to say, everyone's voice is unique obviously - but some are just 'standout' different - like the ones mentioned above.

think of any more? agree or disagree with those mentioned?

Edited by soul_hull
Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well to my ears, a couple who you just know it's them ...

Lou Rawls

Jackie Wilson

Marvin Gaye (or is that JJ Barnes :P )

Gene Chandler

Don Gardner

Phil

I was going to say that :P

Curtis Mayfield, Otis Redding and Percy Sledge spring immediately to my mind.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

barry white :P

billy stewart

david ruffin

eddie kendricks

maurice white

philip bailey

luther vandross

aretha franklin

....james brown :P

maxine brown...

Jo

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Poindexter brothers of Hesitations fame - no mistaking these talented boys :P

Kev J

...Except, of course, that you just did mistake them - the Poindexter Brothers were also known as the Icemen, and as far as I am aware they had nothing at all to do with the Hestiations at any time during either group's career! !

TONE :P

Social source share

...Except, of course, that you just did mistake them - the Poindexter Brothers were also known as the Icemen, and as far as I am aware they had nothing at all to do with the Hestiations at any time during either group's career! !

TONE :unsure:

Sorry Tone,

I have to take issue with you on that. The Icemen, were not the Poindexter Brothers.

The Icemen

The Icemen (members Gino Armstrong & James Stokes (Not as was believed The Poindexter Brothers))

Samar 111 - (My Girl) She's A Fox / (I Wonder) What It Takes - 1966

Samar 117 - Sugar Baby / Only Time Will Tell - 1966

ABC-Paramount 45-11038 - How Can I Get Over A Fox Like You / Loogaboo (The Choice Is Yours) - 1968

Ole-9 1007/8 - It's Gonna Take A Lot To Bring Me Back Baby / It's Time You Knew - 196?

Vest ? - (You've Got A) Style Of Your Own / Let That Song Play - ?

Social source share

INTERESTING SO HOW CAN I GET OVER A STONE FOX LIKE YOU! DID YOU KNOW HENDRIX PLAYED THE GUITAR ON THEIR SABER RELEASE? STONE FOX IS IN MY TOP 5 OF ALL TIME!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Duly noted and apologised for - that'll teach me not to be such a smartarse!

Actually I'm glad to have this info, as the Icemen are one of my favourite duos. I never tire of their sound, and I'm really pleased that I have all their 45s (esp. the Ole-9 one, which was a gift from Mr. Levine c. 1976)....

Anyway, the Poindexters still were not in the Hesitations, so I'm still halfway right!! :unsure:

Thanks, Dave. Goes to show that you're never too old, fat or ugly to learn something new, as proven by the fact that I just have...

Social source share

Guest trickbag

misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr chuck jackson how could

anyone forget his voice.also shorty long.

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Social source share

Actually I'm glad to have this info, as the Icemen are one of my favourite duos. I never tire of their sound, and I'm really pleased that I have all their 45s (esp. the Ole-9 one, which was a gift from Mr. Levine c. 1976)....

Thanks, Dave. Goes to show that you're never too old, fat or ugly to learn something new, as proven by the fact that I just have...

TONE ph34r.gif

Happens to us all mate :thumbsup: , you can help me though. Any chance you could have a look at your singles and fill in the gaps in the discog:

Ole-9 1007/8 - It's Gonna Take A Lot To Bring Me Back Baby / It's Time You Knew - 196?

Cheers

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Happens to us all mate :thumbsup: , you can help me though. Any chance you could have a look at your singles and fill in the gaps in the discog:

Cheers

Hi Dave,

The Vest single is not to hand, so it will require a trip to the attic to give you more details and I won't be able to do that immediately. There's no P date on the Ole-9 single - but from the sound of it, it fits in between the Samar and ABC releases, so that would make it 1967. I'm also absolutely sure that it predates the Manhattans' Deluxe version of "It's Gonna Take A Lot", which was from 1969...

...How brilliant a record is "Gonna Take a Lot", by the way? I feel so lucky to own a copy, especially given how much money the so-so Northern track on the B-side goes for. I feel equally privileged to own a copy of "(My Girl) She's A Fox" on Samar - which, as Baz rightly points out, does indeed feature Jimi Hendrix on beautifully understated guitar, a bit like how he plays on the track "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)". Mind you, Jimi always cited Curtis Mayfield as the main influence on his guitar playing - a man of great taste, as well as considerable genius, obviously.

Will get back to you on the other one.

Best as always,

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Dave,

The Vest single is not to hand, so it will require a trip to the attic to give you more details and I won't be able to do that immediately. There's no P date on the Ole-9 single - but from the sound of it, it fits in between the Samar and ABC releases, so that would make it 1967. I'm also absolutely sure that it predates the Manhattans' Deluxe version of "It's Gonna Take A Lot", which was from 1969...

...How brilliant a record is "Gonna Take a Lot", by the way? I feel so lucky to own a copy, especially given how much money the so-so Northern track on the B-side goes for. I feel equally privileged to own a copy of "(My Girl) She's A Fox" on Samar - which, as Baz rightly points out, does indeed feature Jimi Hendrix on beautifully understated guitar, a bit like how he plays on the track "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)". Mind you, Jimi always cited Curtis Mayfield as the main influence on his guitar playing - a man of great taste, as well as considerable genius, obviously.

Will get back to you on the other one.

Best as always,

TONY ph34r.gif

Ive got "what can i do",by C L Blast,or is it something Sims :unsure: 12",you play it,it plays J Hendricks,live on both sides,how weird is that? :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

stephen hawking (the astro physisist) on herbie hancocks "i thought it was you" :ohmy:

Wicked cow ph34r.gif:ohmy::ohmy: - didn't Steven also contribute to Peter Frampton's 'Show me the way' :unsure: LMBFWAO....Bobby Bland....Jo

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ive got "what can i do",by C L Blast,or is it something Sims :unsure: 12",you play it,it plays J Hendricks,live on both sides,how weird is that? ph34r.gif

Probably not as weird as my EMI demo of Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" that plays "Bad Man" by the Cockney Rejects, but it's certainly in the ballpark!

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

Think we are getting carried away with all our personal fave soulsters.....but think the whole point is I think is if you hear a track you have never heard before i.e. for the first time (getting harder I know!) you instantly can tell who it is without asking!...it's richard caiton, jackie wilson. garland green etc etc....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!