Have I Dreamt This?

Drew3

Sat outside a bar on New Brighton front the other day and they were playing lots of Motown. I was with a mate (none soulie) who said "Motown records have a very distictive sound, that Cher Cha Cha Cher (Christ knows how you write it) in the background ".

I goes into my knowledgable mode and told him a story that I thought was true (thought I'd heard it years ago somewhere) which was...............................Issac Hayes left Motown and whilst with another label in the studio got frustrated with the producer trying to get the Motown sound.

The story is that he got a tambourine and taped it to the cymbal stand of the drum kit, giving away a Motown secret! :P

Later I started to question myself as to my having heard this story and it being correct (or somthing similar) or had I dreamt it!!!

Sure someone on here will set me straight. :P

Actually we were sat there in the sun for a while and they were playing lots of decent (well known) sounds. Nice afternoon. :P

Can't remember the name of the bar now! :D

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sat outside a bar on New Brighton front the other day and they were playing lots of Motown. I was with a mate (none soulie) who said "Motown records have a very distictive sound, that Cher Cha Cha Cher (Christ knows how you write it) in the background ".

I goes into my knowledgable mode and told him a story that I thought was true (thought I'd heard it years ago somewhere) which was...............................Issac Hayes left Motown and whilst with another label in the studio got frustrated with the producer trying to get the Motown sound.

The story is that he got a tambourine and taped it to the cymbal stand of the drum kit, giving away a Motown secret! :P

Later I started to question myself as to my having heard this story and it being correct (or somthing similar) or had I dreamt it!!!

Sure someone on here will set me straight. :P

Actually we were sat there in the sun for a while and they were playing lots of decent (well known) sounds. Nice afternoon. :P

Can't remember the name of the bar now! :D

KTF.

Drew.

AI'NT NO BIG SECRET.........................JACK ASHFORD....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Social source share

Snare drums have a damper inside which can be altered to give a more echoy sound,

the tamborine on the hi-hat gives a distinctive sound , in the right surroundings and you,re there IMO as a ex drummer.

Social source share

Don't follow Chris! :unsure:

KTF.

Drew.

JUST WANTED TO GIVE HIM A BIG-UP, GENIUS PERCUSSIONIST THAT HE IS AND SO IMPORTANT TO MANY MEMORABLE PIECES OF SHEER ART, I'M SURE THEY EMPLOYED LOTS OF TRICKS LIKE JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON PLANKS AND MIC'S IN WASHROOMS FOR ECHO BUT YOU MENTIONED TAMBOURINE I I JUST THOUGHT JACK !!! SORRY IF OFF TOPIC AND CONFUSING :unsure:
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The story is that he got a tambourine and taped it to the cymbal stand of the drum kit, giving away a Motown secret! :unsure:

Sure someone on here will set me straight. biggrin.gif

Actually we were sat there in the sun for a while and they were playing lots of decent (well known) sounds. Nice afternoon. biggrin.gif

Can't remember the name of the bar now! biggrin.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Would that of been the vokes bar as they often put days like that on :unsure:

Social source share

New Brighton,is on the Mersy,not south coast laugh.gif

Your'e dead right Ken beside the Woolley Jersey. :thumbsup:

Think it was called Bobby's or Bibby's or the like.

Just a CD being played coming through speakers to the patio in front but some nice tunes in the afternnon sun.

Anyway back to my origional question.

The more I have thought about this tale the more I think I heard it on the radio on some history of Motown programme.

KTF.

Drew

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!