What To Do With Motown Box Set?

paultp

I have a spare Motown Box Set of singles, from the numbered limited edition series (number 1427) before Universal just issued them un-numbered. All the singles play through but the label on the Marvin Gaye - Love Starved Heart is slightly damaged (it looks like its torn round the edges when applied - perhaps why it was missing from many sets?).

What should I do with it? I don't think the value will rise much as un-numbered sets are readily available (thanks Universal you tw*ts) so my options are:

a) Split it up and sell the records individually

b) Sell it as a numbered box set as it is.

c) Buy an unnumbered box set, replace the Marvin Gaye then sell them both (maybe split up the un-numbered set).

d) Glue them to my record box

e) Make fake labels and sell them as discovered US issues (or better still demos)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Paul, I'm wondering how you ended up with two sets? I mean, considering your age, did you have a senior moment and bought it twice? :wink:

anyway, b)

My wife bought me it for my birthday but when I opened it we noticed the label damage. At first I thought I'd done OK as quite a few people were missing the record from their pack, but then I bought another set to replace the Marvin Gaye (the first box was a low number - 210).

So I have the spare set. I thought initially that I'd sit on it until they all ran out then make a profit, but then Universal started selling the set un-numbered (which makes a bit of a mockery of releasing a limited edition - the records are the same in both sets). 

I'm still leaning towards a) as I will probably double my money and be able to sell the box to someone with an un-numbered set. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why would you split them? A box set is a box-set. That's why it's called a box set. It's a set of records in a box..

I suppose if they all get split up the next logical step would be to collect all the box-set records and then maybe acquire a box to put them all back into. A sort of reconstruction after  the deconstruction..

If it's issued as a box set it should stay as a box-set from a collecting point of view. I don't think in any other sphere of record collecting would anyone advocate splitting up a a box-set.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why would you split them? A box set is a box-set. That's why it's called a box set. It's a set of records in a box..

I suppose if they all get split up the next logical step would be to collect all the box-set records and then maybe acquire a box to put them all back into. A sort of reconstruction after  the deconstruction..

If it's issued as a box set it should stay as a box-set from a collecting point of view. I don't think in any other sphere of record collecting would anyone advocate splitting up a a box-set.

Ah I can counter with a reason to split a box set: I sold my original Blue Cat 45 of Lynn Tait "Way Of Life" for £150 and had no hope of getting another.  Then Trojan reissued it as part of their Lucky Sevens box set.  This meant I could get it for £50.  I didn't want any of the other 45's so I kept the Lynn Taitt and sold the others separately for £15 each.  Maybe some people bought the Motown box for one disc...

I'd just sell the box set and hope I get what I paid for it I think

Social source share

I'd split them to make more money out of them.

I don't have a bottomless pit of money so the way I afford records is to buy and sell them for a profit. When I get a suitable pile of money I buy a record or two for myself. If I can make some money on this box set I'll spend it on records, if I make more money by splitting the records up I'll do that.

No original artists were harmed in the writing of this post.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Reply to both Pete S and Paultp

I understand what you're both saying but from a collecting point of view it raises a number of issues. Especially with a release such as this. As soon as you start splitting it up you're removing the record from it's packaging. In effect it becomes incomplete - not just the set but also the individual record. That's true even if it's in pic sleeve but even more so if the outer packaging is prominent. There's an association between each particular record and the packaging or "box". Even if each record has a value of its own the sum is still usually greater than the parts. The Motown release is an historic release. That makes the "completeness" issue it even more relevant in my opinion.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There's clearly demand from some people for individual records from the box as witnessed by 3 of my Tammi Terrell 45s selling in a day last week (it was either pay £15 for a legit issue or pay £15 for that minging looking boot on ebay). I'd have preferred to have sold them unsplit as I did with the first lot I had but after buying another 5 boxes from the rep at the same price as the 1st batch, it proved almost impossible to sell them whole as Universal had seemingly cocked up so hard that either everyone who wanted the complete box had one already or the demand for the box had been reached (at least at what I'd have to charge for them based on the buying price from Universal) God knows why-  after the shambles of the first run - they issued it again! That said, none of mine had the problems with jumping/skipping as some had reported, or duplicate/missing discs. 

That said, what a fantastic 7 sides of music, eh? 

Edited by Jason S
Social source share

There's clearly demand from some people for individual records from the box as witnessed by 3 of my Tammi Terrell 45s selling in a day last week (it was either pay £15 for a legit issue or pay £15 for that minging looking boot on ebay). I'd have preferred to have sold them unsplit as I did with the first lot I had but after buying another 5 boxes from the rep at the same price as the 1st batch, it proved almost impossible to sell them whole as Universal had seemingly cocked up so hard that either everyone who wanted the complete box had one already or the demand for the box had been reached (at least at what I'd have to charge for them based on the buying price from Universal) God knows why-  after the shambles of the first run - they issued it again! That said, none of mine had the problems with jumping/skipping as some had reported, or duplicate/missing discs. 

That said, what a fantastic 7 sides of music, eh? 

The box I got off you was splendid - but the music choice, nah, a few good ones but it was full of duffers!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Reply to both Pete S and Paultp

I understand what you're both saying but from a collecting point of view it raises a number of issues. Especially with a release such as this. As soon as you start splitting it up you're removing the record from it's packaging. In effect it becomes incomplete - not just the set but also the individual record. That's true even if it's in pic sleeve but even more so if the outer packaging is prominent. There's an association between each particular record and the packaging or "box". Even if each record has a value of its own the sum is still usually greater than the parts. The Motown release is an historic release. That makes the "completeness" issue it even more relevant in my opinion.

I appreciate what you're saying but seeing as Universal have continued issuing their limited edition, I don't think there is any relation between the records and their packaging anymore - they just put some in numbered boxes. You'll be able to pick up the records easily in a few years as there will be literally thousands of copies pressed. I actually think the numbered boxes may become more valuable than the records, maybe someone will bootleg the boxes :)

Anyway, I have a complete set for myself so splitting up the box set seems the way to go. Also, I can't get what I paid for it as I paid 54 quid and some postage to Universal and you can get a numbered set from Juno for less than 52 quid including postage. I guess demand was pretty low and then lowered again by Universal's lack of quality control.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I GOT QUITE A FEW SETS, AND HAPPY AS LARRY..................

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!