How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

Guest Matt Male

where is ns gonna be in15-20 years time if young soulies are not encouraged in the scene? how about soul event organisers seeking out out and giving spots to young uns at events.

isnt it time we started to look at the future before its too late?

Lots of young DJs running their own very successful soul clubs, especially in Manchester and Leeds. None of them needed a leg up from established events. To be honest the young DJs who get spots at well known nighters after buying a few records because the promoter is a mate aren't the ones I'd choose to listen to.

Social source share

lets see in 15 years how many people are at established events.seems to me of your not a wigan young soul you dont get a look in.only commenting on what i see in the midlands.

Seems to be younger ones coming through to me.I keep seeing them on dj rotas.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

lets see in 15 years how many people are at established events.seems to me of your not a wigan young soul you dont get a look in.only commenting on what i see in the midlands.

Sadly there is people out there with the records that can't get a look in so most places stick with their band of mates and play the same tunes all the time to each other so unless the young ones can get in with some promoters they will have to put on their own event then invite fellow promoters to dj at their event and I turn what generally happens is they get return dj spots themselves.  Your lucky you don't live in the south the standard of djs isn't very good and no youngsters wanting to dj.  Its a case of different venues same djs. 

Social source share

That's not true..Black Bee Boys get everywhere..Young DJs from Yorkshire, the Midlands and the North West are playing at venues on a regular basis

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Sadly there is people out there with the records that can't get a look in so most places stick with their band of mates and play the same tunes all the time to each other so unless the young ones can get in with some promoters they will have to put on their own event then invite fellow promoters to dj at their event and I turn what generally happens is they get return dj spots themselves.  Your lucky you don't live in the south the standard of djs isn't very good and no youngsters wanting to dj.  Its a case of different venues same djs. 

What ? Standards of DJs isnt very good in the south ? What about these nights - Masters of Soul, Soul Syndicate, Majestic Soul, Inner City Soul nights run by James Pogson and his mates who look pretty young to me !! All vibrant, imaginative and upfront nights searching out new sounds !

What nights are you referring to ?

Social source share

again where?

Wherever.

what do they do ? put the electrifying set on a memory card and post it?
i go to nighters, dayers and events and in the past 3 years i can count on 1 hand how many djs under 20 years old ive seen.

You need the records first.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

heard lev (the happy one :wicked: ) play a good spot a couple of weeks back in Bristol..all originals, a mix of classics and some I didn't know in a set that flowed nicely and without any technical f+++ ups..better than some established djs!..she will be playing in Weston in a couple of weeks too

and it depends on what you call young now...the likes of callum simpson etc will still be about in 15-20 years!

Social source share

what do they do ? put the electrifying set on a memory card and post it?

i go to nighters, dayers and events and in the past 3 years i can count on 1 hand how many djs under 20 years old ive seen.

I don't know where your going because we see plenty..Admittedly a few are WYS, but some of the Young DJs playing there maybe there friends but are not WYS

I saw a young DJ from the midlands play there recently..I'll find his name and post it later

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

What ? Standards of DJs isnt very good in the south ? What about these nights - Masters of Soul, Soul Syndicate, Majestic Soul, Inner City Soul nights run by James Pogson and his mates who look pretty young to me !! All vibrant, imaginative and upfront nights searching out new sounds !

What nights are you referring to ?

Geography not your strongest point their in the South East  :lol:  

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Lots of young DJs running their own very successful soul clubs, especially in Manchester and Leeds. None of them needed a leg up from established events. To be honest the young DJs who get spots at well known nighters after buying a few records because the promoter is a mate aren't the ones I'd choose to listen to.

Why not? I'm playing my first set next month.

My dads mate runs an event, there's no soul club ran by young people where I live, because there simply isn't the demand.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Another way of looking at it is this maybe......  Why not let the teenagers play the same old tunes that the old farts have been playing for the last 20 as they might actually look like their are enjoying themselves behind the decks   :thumbup:

Social source share

well done mate i wish you all the best!

25 years left in soul eh leigh! then what?

looks like tje north are doin ok for youg ones again well done but in the midlands not so good.

when your out and about this weekend count the young ones shouldnt take long

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Why not? I'm playing my first set next month.

My dads mate runs an event, there's no soul club ran by young people where I live, because there simply isn't the demand.

Why not? Because in my experience they almost always play boots or stick to the same oldies I've heard a million times, no originality and no point having a young DJ that plays the same as everyone older. Maybe you're different. Good luck with your first spot. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Geography not your strongest point their in the South East  :lol:  

oh you mean soul nights in the Isle of Wight !! :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I'm confused Paul, where's the South then? I like to think I'm from up North because I live in the North West, similarly people in the West Midlands are still in the Midlands ...........aren't they?

Last time I looked on the map the south was down Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth area. From here in Southampton its 2 hours drive to London, rugby (up norf) Bristol (west).  Where I originally come from In Kent I used to look at Southampton as West Country lol.  

If you lived in north west and had to drive to hours anywhere would you still be in the north west ? Not including traffic jams  :lol:

i know now I could of been more specific but I had a laugh to amuse meself  :D

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Last time I looked on the map the south was down Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth area. From here in Southampton its 2 hours drive to London, rugby (up norf) Bristol (west).  Where I originally come from In Kent I used to look at Southampton as West Country lol.  

If you lived in north west and had to drive to hours anywhere would you still be in the north west ? Not including traffic jams  :lol:

And geography's not my strong point !!! :lol: :lol:

Social source share

If you lived in north we set and had to drive to hours anywhere would you still be in the north west ? Not including traffic jams  :lol:

The South is wider than the North but it's still the South, further dividing it into South East or South West just makes it more accurate, but it's still the South :D:shhh::P

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The South is wider than the North but it's still the South, further dividing it into South East or South West just makes it more accurate, but it's still the South :D:shhh::P

And your a manc Pete  :wicked:  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Why not? Because in my experience they almost always play boots or stick to the same oldies I've heard a million times, no originality and no point having a young DJ that plays the same as everyone older. Maybe you're different. Good luck with your first spot. :thumbsup:

I understand that. But with the scene being a niche as it is. Sometimes the likes of me will need a leg up.

Otherwise the same DJ's are going to be playing the same events, with the same records. For the most part, at least.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

And geography's not my strong point !!! :lol: :lol:

I tell you what though the south east is full of exciting young passionate djs  :D  :D

Social source share

hi everybody. i'm a bit sick of this old discussion to be honest.

there's lots of stuff going round europe made of young people. like spain, italy, germany, switzerland, austria, sweden and so on. they all have great taste and there are some that like classics and some that are more upfront. we in lucerne (switzerland) do a weekender called "Not too Young Weekender" especially for this. we try to invite younger dj's or dj's that have great collections and are not getting invited anywhere to give them a platform. most people invite the same dj's everywhere so you get to hear the same tunes...that's how it is! if you look at our playlist: 

you can see that lots of great tunes are played by younger dj's. I only can give you the advice to watch behind the curtain and book some flights early that it's not so expensive and get over! also in the uk is lots of stuff going btw.....

Social source share

listen kid you play whatever you got.dont be put off by pretentious know all conniseurs of soul.id rather listen to a clsssic oldie than some of the shite thats being " discovered"

if ypu like ir and youve got it and its on a £2 boot , play it

when your old enough maybe you'll be stupid enough to pay £ 1300 quid for a " original" yawwwn

• Helpful 1
Social source share