How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

Guest Bearsy

Just out of curiosity who are all these young djs wanting to dj but can't get spots ?  

How about a list of young djs that promoters could use to give these young ones a chance behind the decks....

Social source share

Just out of curiosity who are all these young djs wanting to dj but can't get spots ?  

How about a list of young djs that promoters could use to give these young ones a chance behind the decks....

Then we would have a multi-page thread debating what constitutes as 'young' and who decides :D

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

No but what's the quote about not being able to see the future unless you know the past...or something like that.  And whatever age you are, there are just some records that you have to have as an essential part of a DJ's toolkit, in case of emergency break glass and play "Cause You're Mine" sort of thing.

That is a good point. You do wonder how good a soul dj can ever be if they're never going to play any awesome butexpensive classics, or any of the £1000 + records, some of which are simply stunning soul records.

I know that if I was to seriously try to put together an interesting northern style set that I'd go up against anyone with, I'd need 20 grand.

I cant do that so I'll stick to r&b, and just enjoy listening and dancing to northern, as I have so far.

if younger generations are to establish a good scene, they really would be better to fuck off the whole format thing, and concentrate on pure musical quality and set programming - an underrated skill, than play second rate originals, trying to stick to the rules of a game that's pretty much been played.

As cover-up said a few pages back!

]

Social source share

No but what's the quote about not being able to see the future unless you know the past...or something like that.  And whatever age you are, there are just some records that you have to have as an essential part of a DJ's toolkit, in case of emergency break glass and play "Cause You're Mine" sort of thing.

There is another quote, "Those who are unaware of history are destined to repeat it."

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Then we would have a multi-page thread debating what constitutes as 'young' and who decides :D

Will make a change from the usual threads Pete  :D  young has to be under 30 or shall we say 25 ?  You decide Pete its too much stress for me  :lol:

Social source share

Will make a change from the usual threads Pete  :D  young has to be under 30 or shall we say 25 ?  You decide Pete its too much stress for me  :lol:

Paul I'm 54 so 35 is young to me, I dare say a 20 year old thinks 35 is knocking on a bit, so it all boils down to what you have in your box and how well you can present them, irrespective of age, I doubt many promoters build age into the thought process when booking DJs, and why should they?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Will make a change from the usual threads Pete :D young has to be under 30 or shall we say 25 ? You decide Pete its too much stress for me :lol:

'Young' always been under 25 to me. Up to 25 you can still knock around with 18 year olds without looking like a wrong-un.

it's absurd to describe a 30 year old as young, after 12 years of adult life, you've no excuses - if you're not making the grade it's not cos you're young, it's cos you're shit.]

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

'Young' always been under 25 to me. Up to 25 you can still knock around with 18 year olds without looking like a wrong-un.

it's absurd to describe a 30 year old as young, after 12 years of adult life, you've no excuses - if you're not making the grade it's not cos you're young, it's cos you're shit.]

And they're off :lol:

What about 25 and a half?

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul I'm 54 so 35 is young to me, I dare say a 20 year old thinks 35 is knocking on a bit, so it all boils down to what you have in your box and how well you can present them, irrespective of age, I doubt many promoters build age into the thought process when booking DJs, and why should they?

well, we've heard from a few in this thread who've deliberately let young people dj, because they're young... not really something i see the merit in, although presentation is a factor - it might help inspire people to party if the dj at least looks capable of doing the same.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well, we've heard from a few in this thread who've deliberately let young people dj, because they're young... not really something i see the merit in, although presentation is a factor - it might help inspire people to party if the dj at least looks capable of doing the same.

While I have been interested in the thread throughout, I don't remember much about promoters deliberately letting young people dj, because they're young. but I could've missed it which indicates that if that's the case then there wasn't many, which (again) was my point,

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Well it's not that subjective or relative, humans have established definitions of young and old. Whatever age you are, 20 is young and 60 is old.

]

I agree, as would anyone, but where does it crossover from one to the other? That can be very subjective, there are some very youthful 30 year olds and then again some very dull and grumpy 20 year olds,

Social source share

So did your Mommy know you'd been to a club or did you sneak out?

I haven't got any badges, but I did have some, from the places I visited, places you can only dream about.

It'll take you 30 years to catch up with the knowledge and experience most people on here have so enjoy the ride, but nobody really gives two sh*ts whether "young people" dj or not.

Afternoon Pete,

Ever woken up and thought what a plonker? I did because my previous comment would have just stirred on a never ending conversation and it would have been easier just to forget it. Although with your internet wizardry you have managed to resurrect my post, funny that it being Good Friday n all.

First of all, I don't know who you are, nor Chalky and I don't come on here to disrespect anyone. I got sucked into the 'debate' after Henning said I was mentioned and thought I'd give my 2 pennies worth - which I do stand by, except for the handbag slurs. In all seriousness though, I do enjoy relating to and reminiscing about certain things, sometimes I'll watch Only Fool & Horses, I'm not really a Time Team kinda fella, then sometimes, when I'm feeling really nostalgic, I'll look on these forums and realise the importance of doings things in a circumscribed fashion by your traditions. Wouldn't be right for someone to come along, be inspired and overwhelmed about what he/she's experiencing, enjoy its various eccentricities and want to pursue their own directions? Nope? Didn't think so. 

So please save us both the hassle of prolonging this conversation and let's give it a rest. Now go and enjoy your Easter eggs  :thumbsup:

Edited by The Milk Man
Social source share

While I have been interested in the thread throughout, I don't remember much about promoters deliberately letting young people dj, because they're young. but I could've missed it which indicates that if that's the case there wasn't many, which was my point,

It happens especially with some because they bring their mates along as well, they won't tell you that though. 

No one should get a free ride simply to boost attendances and profit.  Merit and the ability to entertain should be the only factors that get someone a booking and if they can bring something else to the table even better. 
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

:lol: brilliant.

Social source share

It happens especially with some because they bring their mates along as well, they won't tell you that though. 

No one should get a free ride simply to boost attendances and profit.  Merit and the ability to entertain should be the only factors that get someone a booking and if they can bring something else to the table even better. 

But Chalky, if that's the case they aren't getting booked because they are young, they are getting booked because they bring an entourage,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But how will they get that reputation if they cant get a spot to play em ??

Depends on what sort of reputation you want need or expect. Keb Darge didn't ask for spots based on being young and keen. He had a passion, he got hold of some fantastic records, he was (and still is) and an innovator and he made things happen.

We can't all be Keb Darge, but we can all have passion. We maybe all can't afford the best records, but passion, a good ear, determination, innovation and the rest will fall into place.

Mick Hucknall once described the Northern Soul fraternity as like 'a bizarre little family'. Armed with the above, word spreads and there are enough do's, big, little and indifferent the length and breadth of this country (not to mention others) for things to start happening, but you have to force the issue if it's something you really want. Expect it to fall in your lap and you could be overlooked and end up being disappointed..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Afternoon Pete,

Ever woken up and thought what a plonker? I did because my previous comment would have just stirred on a never ending conversation and it would have been easier just to forget it. Although with your internet wizardry you have managed to resurrect my post, funny that it being Good Friday n all.

First of all, I don't know who you are, nor Chalky and I don't come on here to disrespect anyone. I got sucked into the 'debate' after Henning said I was mentioned and thought I'd give my 2 pennies worth - which I do stand by, except for the handbag slurs. In all seriousness though, I do enjoy relating to and reminiscing about certain things, sometimes I'll watch Only Fool & Horses, I'm not really a Time Team kinda fella, then sometimes, when I'm feeling really nostalgic, I'll look on these forums and realise the importance of doings things in a circumscribed fashion by your traditions. Wouldn't be right for someone to come along, be inspired and overwhelmed about what he/she's experiencing, enjoy its various eccentricities and want to pursue their own directions? Nope? Didn't think so. 

So please save us both the hassle of prolonging this conversation and let's give it a rest. Now go and enjoy your Easter eggs  :thumbsup:

Am happy to do so, I hope you enjoy yours too.

In peace.

Pete

Social source share

Ok peeps. Now a Silly Idea....

What about a New thread for DJs that Would like to get a Spot and think that they are ready for it:

- ovo or not
- experience

Would be Nice as some Promoter might get interested into some New DJs, fresh Air Comes in, the DJs get a Spot, Promoters can choose what fits to their nighter or might start to do experiments and we all can See whats going on in the boxes...

Its an unwritten Law Not too ask for dj Spot, this Would change it :)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

What about a New thread for DJs that Would like to get a Spot and think that they are ready for it:

- Top Ten spins

- ovo or not

- experience

Would be Nice as some Promoter might get interested into some New DJs, fresh Air Comes in, the DJs get a Spot, Promoters can choose what fits to their nighter or might start to do experiments and we all can See whats going on in the boxes...

Its certainly a thought,but would also have expected them to have visited the club they are going to be djing at.Mainly to be sure that they are fully confident they can do justice to thereselves,and it something that is quite traditional in the uk.If any sort of tradition is still allowed [just jokeing].Might be a problem for overseas jocks,but certainly not for the uk girls and boys.As I previously stated ive had a good few young jocks at various events over the last 10 to 12 yrs,my honest experience was that they weren't up there with the older guys.To be fair middleton etc [3 rooms 30 jocks a nite] were top end collector djs at the top end of the game which doesn't make it easy,but would be prepared to try again if some want to give it a go.

Social source share

- Top Ten spins

- ovo or not

- experience

I'd like to see something along these lines, maybe top 25 though, a one hour spot more or less.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd like to see something along these lines, mage top 25 though, a one hour spot more or less.

Mage top 25?

What like:

1. Harry Potter

2. Merlin

3. Dumbledore

Sorry Chalky, couldn't resist :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I ask the same question as Dave Moore... Let any person give us a prod, always looking for that little something else.. In a message if they don't want to post on here... The poster is talking young as under 20, many of the young djs above are old djs to teens... What that makes the rest of us I dread to think ha ha...

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Couldn't agree more! Funnily enough, that was the first record I'd ever bought. I loved the oldies stuff and still do.

But now I'm more about discovering sounds that are new, (to me anyway). That's what it's all about, developing my own taste, if I find something that's new to someone else, then it's a bonus. If you're going to play a set full of records, and no one is dancing; you're wasting your own time as well as everyone else's. A DJ is there to make people dance, surely?

So if you had to break out 'Cause You're Mine or Lonely For You, Baby. Who is anyone to judge?

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Some ideas for the youngsters to help them attain some spots without asking or sending cds to promoters [which you can do if you like, just not my thing] :

• Attend events
  • Enjoy the events you attend or don't go back :-)
  • Let it be known you would like to dj
  • Don't do it for the money
  • Play OVO if you intend to be an OVO dj
  • Create Podcasts and / or YouTube accounts posting tunes you love /  would love to play out     [good promoters in my experience know who they are booking ie have done their own homework]

Then when asked,

• Turn up
  • Turn up from the start of the event to hear what's played and don't duplicate (if possible)
  • Be respectful to the "older" guys - you learn in time most of them know there stuff
  • Play what you love and don't buy for the floor (they may go hand in hand, but never worry if they don't - it maybe your taste is not floor taste in which case you wont get many spots ; you can alternatively buy for the floor, but if you don't love those tunes would you really want to play them ?)

Further

• Grow a thick skin

I don't think being young is a disadvantage, it seems to be a useful coat hanger for promoters to hang onto  - so if anything certainly makes getting an early spot a bit easier :-)

I'd like to see "newcomers" rather than youngsters given chances based on merit, breeds life into venues.   

I'm 21, and I'd said that's a very fair assessment of how to go about your business. 

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You can,t like all thats out there (these days anyway) vibe/music wise.....so find the venues that you like musically...that will probably be the sort of stuff you buy/collect.....Then the probability of you getting to dj at chosen venue/venues will increase..........because hey!  you like what they like..........and remember  it,s not just about djing......ya gotta enjoy going out,djing or otherwise...If ya just there for a spot,you,ll fall by the wayside rather quick.

Oh!......take no notice of    La Beat lol :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Some ideas for the youngsters to help them attain some spots without asking or sending cds to promoters [which you can do if you like, just not my thing] :

• Attend events
  • Enjoy the events you attend or don't go back :-)
  • Let it be known you would like to dj
  • Don't do it for the money
  • Play OVO if you intend to be an OVO dj
  • Create Podcasts and / or YouTube accounts posting tunes you love /  would love to play out     [good promoters in my experience know who they are booking ie have done their own homework]

Then when asked,

• Turn up
  • Turn up from the start of the event to hear what's played and don't duplicate (if possible)
  • Be respectful to the "older" guys - you learn in time most of them know there stuff
  • Play what you love and don't buy for the floor (they may go hand in hand, but never worry if they don't - it maybe your taste is not floor taste in which case you wont get many spots ; you can alternatively buy for the floor, but if you don't love those tunes would you really want to play them ?)

Further

• Grow a thick skin

I don't think being young is a disadvantage, it seems to be a useful coat hanger for promoters to hang onto  - so if anything certainly makes getting an early spot a bit easier :-)

I'd like to see "newcomers" rather than youngsters given chances based on merit, breeds life into venues.   

and dance & enjoy life to the full !!!! btw fab post !!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

This is a facile thread with the answer pretty obvious. Read the Kev Roberts manual to see how a youthful individual broke onto the scene, a template that the early pioneers established and many others followed. DJing stems from record collecting so the solution is to get hold of some good records. Whilst the scene needs youthful followers if it is to continue in the long run, the age of the DJ is irrelevant - it's more about the calibre of the records in the hands of potential DJs and the local support for events put on by promoters. Well run events such as the 100 Club have youthful DJs such as Joel Maslin playing sounds that appeal to a younger  crowd and veterans alike. A more pertinent question would be to ask where are all the other Tommy Potts, sons, or daughters for that matter, who have parents deeply entrenched in the scene, and have grown up surrounded by great music? The next wave of young DJs who stand to inherit a lot of good record collections don't appear to be doing much to perpetuate the future of the scene at present.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

CALLING ALL YOUNG COLLECTORS.....

Me and my mates all started our own nights and they all did well. I look at those lads now and most of them are playing all ovet Europe and running respected nights.

None of them dj'd at other peoples nights. They made their own way and did it right. The sucess was deserved through a good ear and imagination.

If you play shit that every other clown plays then you'll fail. Stand out from the crowd a bit and dare to be different. That will get you noticed and respected.

Paul, didn't you say this  was an entirely pointless thread??? but now your giving advice ???.... Double standards matey

• Helpful 2
Social source share