How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

Well I would say start with attending an event regularly, get to know the promoter and then ask about a spot if you think you have the records to suit the event - definitely don't go once and ask about a spot.

If we you want to try events that you can't reach, go the polite e-mail and maybe list some of the tunes you like to play.

Some will help you and some won't for a variety of different reasons.

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

if somebody is ready to pay that it's fine imo. 

but the question is about the young ones.

there are lots of them that are ready to pay for good records. most of them are ovo only by the way....

Social source share

Ovo yawwwwn

when you start to be more tolerant to what other people like and do then you will know how it will go with the younger ones....

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

OK then. Let the dog see the rabbit.

Post your 18 x 45s that you'd play if I were to book you as a 'DJ'.

Regards,

Dave

I'll take that one on myself!

Al Wilson - Touch & go 

Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours

Howard Tate - Get IT While You Can

Kings Go Forth - You're The One

Kings Go Forth - One Day

Jesse Fisher - You're not loving a beginner

Fantastic Four - Live up to what she thinks

Derek Martin - Sly Girl

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time

Continental 4 - The Way I Love You

Montclairs - Hey You! Don't Fight It

Fantastic Four - Can't Stop For My Baby

Reggie Lamont - Can't Get Along Without You

Little Milton - Let's Get Together

Sapphires - Gonna Be A big Thing

Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It

Steelers - Get It From The Bottom

Junior McCants - The Boy Needs A Girl

Incidentally, JRSOUL is My Brother, and the night he plays his first set we are double decking. It's at the RAFA Club (Serious Shades Of Soul) in Newton Aycliffe. I've never heard so many rare and underplayed records in one place, it's one of the most progressive nights in the North. We simply would not get away with playing boots or the typical oldies. 

Social source share

Had a  few young djs at various events over the last ten years,that I thought might have something to offer.Have to say very few cut the mustard to be honest,just because there young isn't a reason to give them spots.Dj spots are or should be given on merit only,very few youngsters are that good or different that it warrants having them on.

i don't get you guys. pls mate send a playlist of 10 temporary spins...

Social source share

you say: "Dj spots are or should be given on merit only,very few youngsters are that good or different that it warrants having them on."

if you say such things i would be interested what u can offer with sooo many years of experience.

instead of judging and putting them all in one can you should watch out for the younger ones that have great taste and records and will save the scene. support them and invite them!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

So you think its fine for em to dj with a box of boots at the expense of older djs with years of experience and quality collections,because ?.

I certainly don't think it's ok, and I'm one of the young lads that's trying to get spots.

Social source share

What the f*ck are you on about,what don't you get.

How do you expect new talent to come through if its ovo.let me tell you that half the claimed originals arnt.all im saying is give em a spot.just cos the records a expensive original doesnt make it good!theyre not trying to take over accomplished djs although i wish some of em would!

Social source share

Dj spots are or should be given on merit only,very few youngsters are that good or different that it warrants having them on.

if you say such things i would be interested what u can offer with sooo many years of experience.

Ive offered sheridans middleton maxims southport wk enders to name a few plus the current venues we run ,have and still  have an awful lot of djs that I and the people who attend these venues rate highly.The youngsters we,ve had aren't as good as the djs we use,in  our opinion.But you knock yourself out smart arse and big em up all you like,its just an opinion.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I certainly don't think it's ok, and I'm one of the young lads that's trying to get spots.

ok man. wanna come over and spin some at the next swiss soul weekender on the alldayer? 

Social source share

How do you expect new talent to come through if its ovo.let me tell you that half the claimed originals arnt.all im saying is give em a spot.just cos the records a expensive original doesnt make it good!theyre not trying to take over accomplished djs although i wish some of em would!

It should always be ovo,and any good promoter would know what the djs are playing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive offered sheridans middleton maxims southport wk enders to name a few plus the current venues we run ,have and still  have an awful lot of djs that I and the people who attend these venues rate highly.The youngsters we,ve had aren't as good as the djs we use,in  our opinion.But you knock yourself out smart arse and big em up all you like,its just an opinion.

smart arse? starting to give bad names??! great dude! this is why many young people dont use soul-source and i will think of stopping it also.

still no top 10 tunes from you mate...

Social source share

smart arse? starting to give bad names??! great dude! this is why many young people dont use soul-source and i will think of stopping it also.

still no top 10 tunes from you mate...

im a promoter firstly who does a bit of djing,and am an oldies collector all be it on the rarer side.Your obviously obsessed with the look we play something a bit different,and aren't we young current fad.Last time I looked this thread was asking a question I gave an honest answer.My answer was based on my experiences of promoting some very large niters,you obviously disagree but so what.Now im takeing it you would know about middleton sheridans and the kind of line ups so,we aren't talking about crap same old venues are we.As for top 10 you wouldn't like em,far to old fashioned for you I would think,but my top 10 doesn't get played at my venues.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ok, then. can you send me a playlist of tunes that are played at your venue?

Tell you what our next nite is 26th aprill line up is ged parker carl n maria Willingham paul Johnson Julian Bentley ian wills I will write em all down and send en you for approval.Didnt realise you have to qual;ify your opinion to other promoters,by the way didn't you dj for joe Dutton once.

Social source share

i don't qualify my opinion to other promoters. just interested in what other people play at their venues. especially when they think that most of the youngsters are not ready.

i can tell u a few that i bet what play great sets even on your nighter.

no, i didn't dj for joe dutton. don't know him. in the uk i only dj'd at grumpy soul and the manchester european weekender...

Social source share

i don't qualify my opinion to other promoters. just interested in what other people play at their venues. especially when they think that most of the youngsters are not ready.

i can tell u a few that i bet what play great sets even on your nighter.

no, i didn't dj for joe dutton. don't know him. in the uk i only dj'd at grumpy soul and the manchester european weekender...

That's it ive seen you dj m8y,thought everyone knew joe Dutton lol.

Social source share

buy some boots , start your own event , become a promoters mate

or alternatly buy some good records , make up a cd or tape of some of them ( dont put all titles on there or full versions to stop people buying them before you can play them after your hard work of tracking them down ) , send tape to promoters locally to you , ask to do the warm up / graveyard shift at events you attend

dont think you will expect to get the 10/11 o clock sets to play a load of classic oldies etc

but remember there is a lot of you dj at mine i will dj at yours type of deals done so the promoters can keep more money etc

Edited by davidwapples
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hey Bearsy, I don't think spellings your strongest point either :thumbup:

And that's relying on spell checker you wanna see me spelling without it  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I understand that. But with the scene being a niche as it is. Sometimes the likes of me will need a leg up.

Otherwise the same DJ's are going to be playing the same events, with the same records. For the most part, at least.

Well said. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

OK then. Let the dog see the rabbit.

Post your 18 x 45s that you'd play if I were to book you as a 'DJ'.

Regards,

Dave

1. Stevie Wonder - Uptight (Everything's Alright) - ORIGINAL US TAMLA

2. Edwin Starr - Running Back And Forth -ORIGINAL GORDY

3. The Invitations - What's Wrong With Me Baby ORIGINAL DYNOVOICE

4. Hold To My Baby  - The Cavaliers - ORIGINAL RCA VICTOR

5. The Apollas - Mr Creator - ORIGINAL WARNER BROTHERS

6. Ernie Maybray - Ain't Nobodys Buisiness - ORIGINAL WEE

7. The Magnificents - My Heart Is Calling - ORIGINAL DEE GEE

8. Herbert Hunter - I Was Born To Love You - ORIGINAL SPAR

9. Roger Hatcher - Sweetest Girl In The World - ORIGINAL EXCELLO

10. Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street - ORIGINAL DIONN

11. The Dynells - Call On Me - ORIGINAL ATCO

12. Bobby Rich - There's A Girl Somewhere (For Me) - ORIGINAL SAMBEA

13. The Montclairs - Hey You, Don't You Fight It - ORIGINAL ARCH (My brothers)

14. Tim - I Need Your Love - ORIGINAL CELTEX

15. Clarence Murray - Baby, You Got It - ORIGINAL SSS INTERNATIONAL

16. Thelma Lindsay - Why Weren't You There - ORIGINAL MAGIC CITY

17. Little Milton - Loving You - ORIGINAL CHECKER

18. Edwin Starr - I Just Wanted To Cry - ORIGINAL GERMAN TAMLA MOTOWN ISSUE

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

listen kid you play whatever you got.dont be put off by pretentious know all conniseurs of soul.id rather listen to a clsssic oldie than some of the shite thats being " discovered"

if ypu like ir and youve got it and its on a £2 boot , play it

when your old enough maybe you'll be stupid enough to pay £ 1300 quid for a " original" yawwwn

Good luck on getting that spot you want with that attitude.

Social source share

I sent a message, to one of the younger dj`s last year asking him if he would do me a spot. I got this reply. "Do you pay your dj`s" To which I replied of course, depending on how far you travel we pay your petrol and a fee for the spot. Then I got yes I`d love to do it, send me the dates over. Which I did. STILL awaiting a reply?? Very rude I thought. However I can highly recommend young John Sylvester.

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'll take that one on myself!

Al Wilson - Touch & go 

Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours

Howard Tate - Get IT While You Can

Kings Go Forth - You're The One

Kings Go Forth - One Day

Jesse Fisher - You're not loving a beginner

Fantastic Four - Live up to what she thinks

Derek Martin - Sly Girl

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time

Continental 4 - The Way I Love You

Montclairs - Hey You! Don't Fight It

Fantastic Four - Can't Stop For My Baby

Reggie Lamont - Can't Get Along Without You

Little Milton - Let's Get Together

Sapphires - Gonna Be A big Thing

Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It

Steelers - Get It From The Bottom

Junior McCants - The Boy Needs A Girl

Incidentally, JRSOUL is My Brother, and the night he plays his first set we are double decking. It's at the RAFA Club (Serious Shades Of Soul) in Newton Aycliffe. I've never heard so many rare and underplayed records in one place, it's one of the most progressive nights in the North. We simply would not get away with playing boots or the typical oldies. 

Sounds good to me.

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

ok man. wanna come over and spin some at the next swiss soul weekender on the alldayer? 

It all depends on work - I'm in the armed forces so free weekends are hard to come by. I'd love to though, PM me the dates etc and I'd certainly have a look at it!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ovo yawwwwn

If you are young and wanting to dj then the advice I would give you is buy OVO of tunes you like and what you can afford as you have more chance of getting a dj spot than you will playing boots and before you yawn again that's what a lot of promoters want wether you like it or not that's the way it is.  

Why are you so desperate to dj and I presume you are a teenager so why not just go out to dance and enjoy yourself and build your collection up and hopefully in time you will get a few chances to dj and when all the old farts have all hung up their djn aprons you younguns will have the scene all to yourselfs.  

Best of luck and remember boots are only boots of popular tunes that have been played a billion times before so even if you did get a dj spot playing boots you will probably bore the arse of many the folk  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Good luck on getting that spot you want with that attitude.

Im 51 mate dont want spots thanks.i only wanted to ask how do we get young uns into ns djaying.wish i hadnt bothered.as one post sed theres 25 years left in it so why worry.some of the replies are pretentious ,childish and shocking but theres so many ns arseholes out there i should have expected it!

good playing djs young or old!

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Now this is gonna sound harsh but it's meant to be fair and honest. I've encouraged younger soulfans to get into collecting record and have even started a couple of them off with packs of 45s. I have no axe to grind whatsoever.

Your playlist is a set of 'nice' records... but, three's nothing there to attract a promoter. What I mean by that is that 90% of local oldies collector/DJs would b able to cover that playlist and I'd wager could no doubt improve on it. So that culls you from the oldies gigs. In addition there's nothing there that makes anyone want to go out and hear some thing fresh. You have to remember that most of us have been doing this for 40 years, we've heard just about every single 45 available in that time. So that culls you from the so called 'progressive scene'.

I said it would sound harsh but... my advice would be to carry on collecting, build a wealth of not just knowledge, but appreciation of the music and devlop your own 'ears'. The days of spending 20,000 a box of 45s and looking for DJ spots are long gone. The whole world's done it,, bought th T Shirt, I'm afraid that boat ahs long since sailed.

I have a question. Once again it's not loaded, or designed to intimidate but I'd be interested to know why a young soulfan would want to play exactly the same 45s that hundreds of others do and think that that was the way to get spots? It wasn't like that when we were your age. Sure, guys played local gigs before allnighters but the 'real' DJs were booked because they had exclusives, or records that most people simply couldn't find. I know it's hard to accept but that's the bottom line. Unless you play something that catches the imaginations of folks like me you're on a hiding to nothing I'm afraid. Age has nothing to do with it... it's about playlists. I recently heard a couple of younger DJs, lads that have been lauded as 'the future'. Their playlists were actually weaker than yours and having spoken at length with them it was quite clear that their passion was for DJing... not for soul music.

Regards,

Dave

Fair and honest, I have collected music for the majority of my life, and will continue to do so, not just soul records either. as I previously alluded to, I'm in the army, and have been for over 8 years. My career is going well and I'm currently involved in training new recruits. As a result my free time is limited, and I really don't have a great deal of time to spend DJing, although when the opportunity presents itself, then I do enjoy getting involved.

The purpose of me collecting records is simple - I buy things I love, whether it's a prince LP, a fatboy slim CD or a soul track on 45. That is the only reason I do it. (I also happen to think that vinyl just sounds better)

You opinion is perfectly valid mate, however there are that many events running every weekend, that if I applied myself, and had the time, I could probably get 8 or so guest spots a year. That would suit me fine. 

Social source share

If you are young and wanting to dj then the advice I would give you is buy OVO of tunes you like and what you can afford as you have more chance of getting a dj spot than you will playing boots and before you yawn again that's what a lot of promoters want wether you like it or not that's the way it is.  

Why are you so desperate to dj and I presume you are a teenager so why not just go out to dance and enjoy yourself and build your collection up and hopefully in time you will get a few chances to dj and when all the old farts have all hung up their djn aprons you younguns will have the scene all to yourselfs.  

Best of luck and remember boots are only boots of popular tunes that have been played a billion times before so even if you did get a dj spot playing boots you will probably bore the arse of many the folk  :hatsoff2:

Social source share