How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

Where I work there are 20 year olds on exactly the same money as me, I can guarantee with very few exceptions they all have much more left over than me after outgoings, drive nicer cars,and enjoy nicer holidays,

It all depends where on an individuals list of priorities they place original records, and what they are prepared to sacrifice in order to fund them,

Pete. At twenty you don't have a list of priorities. You just do what ever. I know I did  and I think the majority would. 

Steve

Social source share

Pete. At twenty you don't have a list of priorities. You just do what ever. I know I did and I think the majority would.

Steve

Steve at 20 when deciding if you want to go on holiday or buy a car or go to the pub every night or spend all your cash on designer clothes or just save up to get your own place you will be putting whatever you choose to do at the top of your list of priorities

Social source share

I've had a right good dance to many a WYS set.

About 4 years ago Ste Gaskell spun Tribulations - You gave me up for promises at a 45 Caratsoul event (Harold club visitors might remember it) and the WYS adopted the tune, when they spin it lots of us oldies get off of our seats and onto the dancefloor.

Other tunes they often spin include Patti Austin - Music to my heart, Bill Cosby - Little ole man, Johnny Moore - Walk like a man & Bobby Paris - night owl. Thinking about those tunes makes me wish I was 35 years younger.

If they play the odd second issue forgive em - they are entertaining us and playing tunes outside the NS top 100.

As a child I never was one for train spotting, as an adult I am not keen on OV spotting. It's the set that matters; good linkage between good dancing tunes it the key for me.

'Its about the beat for my feet that is really important'

KTF

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Double edged sword though - it's alright saying you should do your own thing, but what if your audience don't like your thing and they like the thing they've always liked! Hence the repetitive playlists.

But surely you're just then playing what others want to hear rather than what you like?

Why would an aspiring dj ever get booked based on those values?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I suppose the oldies scene is a totally different animal and originality isn't as important as keeping the punters happy with what they want to hear.

Totally different to the rare scene where originality is usually, not always but usually, important.

Suppose I'm just a sucker for a proper leftfield dj. Other people like the same tunes week in week out. Difficult to try and debate this with so many diffetent views.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I've just trawled through this thread and one response nailed it (can't recall who) but in essence age is immaterial, it's the quality in your box that trumps everything, together with an ability to put a set together (although IMO this is secondary and comes with experience). Here in Australia there are plenty of emerging young 'uns just as enthusiastic about collecting OVO as we were 30/40 years ago and they are all rostered on a regular basis. Only trouble is, they don't seem to realise how fucked our knees are

Social source share

I don't agree. I quite liked that playlist, and if Jordan is playing these too a 'young' audience, they won't know half of them.  They'll be like newies.

That's the nub of it, if I was 20 the thought of djing to a load of 50-60+ year olds would not be an attractive proposition in the slightest. But playing those records to people in their 20's would be fantastic, as Pete says - they would be new to their ears.

Why bother trying to get the acceptance of a load of grumpy b*ggers who have heard everything there is to hear over the last 40 years? Take the music somewhere new, have an over 35 age ban, stop mimicking what I wore in 1974 and find your own thing.

Somebody said earlier that they would start their own night for people their age but there is no demand - how do they know? Start one (not in a working mens club either), play music that gets young people dancing, enjoy yourselves and forget what has gone on for the last 40-odd years cos it is stale.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I suppose this THREAD could run and run, we all had to start somewhere.  but I do know at the age of 15+ in the early 70s; A lot of the records I purchased from Mail order lists /Venues/etc. turned out to be boots and pressings, and it didn't seem to important at that time, after resuming my love for the music years later (Army/ Wife/ Kids/ House/Car) it took me a long time to understand the importance to replace those records for the real deal!  but that's what you do, improve as you go on. It can be expensive we all know to buy the in-demand tunes, but there's some great records out there for a lot less money. With the Internet to buy and being able to listen to so many sounds on youtube. it's a great time for the young up in coming DJ's to put there own Input on the scene.Just do it. Rod

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve at 20 when deciding if you want to go on holiday or buy a car or go to the pub every night or spend all your cash on designer clothes or just save up to get your own place you will be putting whatever you choose to do at the top of your list of priorities

Pete. With respect mate. They're not priorities, they're things you do. In no particular order.  I didn't make a list of what I wanted, things just happened in whatever order they turned up.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

OK guys, i'm happy to read some refreshing responses after all.....

i'm out of this discussion after i got a mail from an older english guy who is and was really important for the uk scene who says that i should give up, these people will never get it. he tries it since years.....

so how does that sound to you peeps?? 

For me it's depressing to be honest. the ones that build up the scene many years ago are now dinosaurs with a one track mind that dont get that there is something cooking, especially in europe and the states which is really interesting to follow and great to be a part off.

Social source share

Seems weve all got it wrong, over here in the uk its just played out oldies nites that are doomed.Thank god for those bright young things who know exactly what everyone needs and should be doing from Europe.

you got it ;)

Social source share

i'm out of this discussion after i got a mail from an older english guy who is and was really important for the uk scene who says that i should give up, these people will never get it. he tries it since years.....

For me it's depressing to be honest. the ones that build up the scene many years ago are now dinosaurs with a one track mind that dont get that there is something cooking, especially in europe and the states which is really interesting to follow and great to be a part off.

I think you've lost the point of this thread.Young dj's getting a chance.It now seems its Young dj's vs Old Dinosaurs. Great playlists btw ,but most of the tracks can be heard over most weeks in the UK.So what have you got.? Young dj's playing tunes that are played here. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete. With respect mate. They're not priorities, they're things you do. In no particular order.  I didn't make a list of what I wanted, things just happened in whatever order they turned up.

Steve

Steve maybe I'm not articulating my point very well, everybody regardless of age prioritises stuff, prefers doing some stuff rather than other stuff, that's prioritising,

When I was 20 I don't suppose I physically made a list either, we all have a mental list, and when I finished work on a Friday my first 'priority' was the pub, and things didn't change much for the next 20 years, In fact no, my first priority was something to eat, then a shower, then the pub, see there's a list forming

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Henning chill out bro..he really is a sweetheart in real life. :thumbsup:

i am mates. i thought provocating a bit might help... doesn't seem like.

all scenes are great and interesting..uk, us, europe, asia. whatever. one love!

Social source share

I must say well done to anyone who posted up a potential set list, that is a pretty brave thing to do as those lists usually get pulled to pieces. When I dj'd (very minor scale) I stopped planning sets after about 3 months, I used to try and work out what my first three records should be on the night and then go from there. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Perhaps a new topic: "Post up your DJ set" - what you would play if you got a set somewhere, it might give promoters an idea of what people play and save people from that fate worse than death - doing a spot somewhere where you don't want to play the music the people want you to play. :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you for real ?

your post is well insulting to the site and its members

the only dinosaur is the guy who is sending you the off thread emails

read the thread and the members thoughts/views   not some old school fool moans who ain't got the bottle to post in public

The dinosaur you refer to I guess is me. What I find very alarming is that you are reading peoples private messages. I'm sure that might be a slight infringement of both civil liberties & the data protection act. But as we have discussed in the past, privately, you do seem to treat this as your personnel fiefdom and if that is enough to get be banned, so be it. 

Social source share

There are certainly some angry young mixed up men on here.... Soul music is not the be all and end all.... just relax and make it an enjoyable hobby,

sorry, but showing petulance on here will not wash at venues.... respect for each other is the key

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The dinosaur you refer to I guess is me. What I find very alarming is that you are reading peoples private messages. I'm sure that might be a slight infringement of both civil liberties & the data protection act. But as we have discussed in the past, privately, you do seem to treat this as your personnel fiefdom and if that is enough to get be banned, so be it. 

yeah guessed right

dont have to read pms to work out it was you

and more insulting claims from you,  before it was you getting a shitty on cause you didnt like the front page news, now you saying am reading pms

yeah allround good guy you

at least now you got the bottle to reply

well done

Social source share

yeah guessed right

dont have to read pms to work out it was you

and more insulting claims from you,  before it was you getting a shitty on cause you didnt like the front page news, now you saying am reading pms

yeah allround good guy you

at least now you got the bottle to reply

well done

You guessed nothing. I could well have been chastising him, you would have had to read the message to comment in the way you did.

Social source share

You guessed nothing. I could well have been chastising him, you would have had to read the message to comment in the way you did.

more rubbish

got better things to do than dig thru databases

look at the times of post

last thing want or need to do is go thru peoples pms

obvious it was you

who else would slags this site in such a way

Social source share

more rubbish

got better things to do than dig thru databases

look at the times of post

last thing want or need to do is go thru peoples pms

obvious it was you

who else would slags this site in such a way

I made no reference to the site and I'm happy to publish messages in that regard after taking legal advice

Social source share

Steve

i like this

Some djs buy records what punters like to hear others buy from for them selfs others buy for pleasure does it matter i say give as many young ones the chance to dj lets face it the oldies are just get older and older and i think its time for a change anyway

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I made no reference to the site and I'm happy to publish messages in that regard after taking legal advice

same old story

yet another old school judging others by their own low standards

just cause its something you may have done doesn't mean that it something others will do

yah i guessed it was you, not really that hard given your past whining and moaning about uk soul fans and uk scene and site
given the guys location and what he posted then am sure others would come to the same conclusion
if i was sure it was you then i would have been more specific

go and read his post again, no mention of pms he says mail, 

insulting accusations from an old school 'known' name-- what a surprise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

But surely you're just then playing what others want to hear rather than what you like?

Why would an aspiring dj ever get booked based on those values?

Because he gives the public what they want.

OK let me give you an example from elsewhere.

I've seen Bowie live about 15 times right.  I've not seen him since 1987 because that was bad enough.

Now, if he announced a new album, and a tour, I think I would go and see him.

However, if he played all new stuff and didn't dip into his back catalogue, I'd want my money back.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It might be interesting to you but the playlists you posted up are at total odds with most venues in the UK, you've got your tunes, we've got ours by the looks of it, and yours and your friends playlist tunes would go down like a lead balloon over here, so you enjoy yourselves and let us get on with it without calling people dinosaurs just because they don't like soul pack rejects.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

i like this

Some djs buy records what punters like to hear others buy from for them selfs others buy for pleasure does it matter i say give as many young ones the chance to dj lets face it the oldies are just get older and older and i think its time for a change anyway

I'd always stick to buying what i like. Yeah, if spinning is your source of income then yeah, buy what people want to hear, so you can claim money back on it.

But why you'd ever want to buy something that you don't like, that's just beyond me.

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

I'd always stick to buying what i like. Yeah, if spinning is your source of income then yeah, buy what people want to hear, so you can claim money back on it.

But why you'd ever want to buy something that you don't like, that's just beyond me.

The ones at the top of the tree have always had to buy records they didn't necessarily like though, just so they actually had it.  Maybe it's more regional now but I'm thinking mid 70's for instance, there'd be say 20 real proper name jocks and if one had a new top sound, the others would have to get it by hook or by crook.  Did anyone really ever like "The Whole Thing"?  They all had it..

Social source share