How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

i like this

Some djs buy records what punters like to hear others buy from for them selfs others buy for pleasure does it matter i say give as many young ones the chance to dj lets face it the oldies are just get older and older and i think its time for a change anyway

Now then feller, "time for a change"? are you joking, oldies will still be around until Doomsday!

It's a quite simple decision to make.... you read the venue adverts/flyers/Soul Source etc and see who the DJ's are'

it isn't difficult to analyse a particular place and what they offer..... thats if your in the know!

Social source share

Now then feller, "time for a change"? are you joking, oldies will still be around until Doomsday!

It's a quite simple decision to make.... you read the venue adverts/flyers/Soul Source etc and see who the DJ's are'

it isn't difficult to analyse a particular place and what they offer..... thats if your in the know!

Not talking about the music as in oldies im saying the old djs
Social source share

It might be interesting to you but the playlists you posted up are at total odds with most venues in the UK, you've got your tunes, we've got ours by the looks of it, and yours and your friends playlist tunes would go down like a lead balloon over here, so you enjoy yourselves and let us get on with it without calling people dinosaurs just because they don't like soul pack rejects.

Ok now i understood.

so if thats the opinion most people share then i really give up discussing.

so please don't invite me as i will deffo kill the floor. ;)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ok now i understood.

Welcome to the harsh reality of what the masses in this country want  :hatsoff2:  give it another 30 years and your country will probably be just the same and you will be a grumpy old man with no hair and beer belly playing only the tunes people know from today  :yes:   

What will you be saying to the kids in your country in 30 years time that want to play tunes from today that you will of heard a million times by then and on boots too ??

You can not polish a turd  :dash2:

Social source share

Jordan, no disrespect mate but that kind of playlist is about as old hat as you can possibly get. Ditch copying the northern soul playlists from average clubs in the 70's and open your ears.

Do the young collectors out there aspire to be djing to their Dad's mates down the local conservative club, or do they want to be playing to people their own age in a decent club?

I think of lot of the alleged young soul dj's fancy the con club.

barker gets the knives out!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd love you to play any one of those sets in the main room at Stoke, or Blackpool, or Goodyears Wolverhampton even.   The world "going for a quick smoke outside" record would be broken' leaving three people on the floor telling us that this is the way forward.   :g:

Nothing personal H it's just no matter what others might tell you, the scene in the UK is 90% oldies.

Looks like its sad but true...

i cant speak for the uk scene, just dj'd twice over there but would love to give an example....

i dj'd at grumpy soul in front of a mixed audience with many knowledgable guys inbetween. I was the unknown to most dj fro switzerland inbetween of a handful of great uk djs like carl fortnum, phil t and a few others. All with great taste and 45s....

i was really excited as a few people told me its not very upfront but do what you wanna. Asking joan and phil both told me just to play my tunes (except modern as phil hates it ;) ) .

well i started and tried to do a mix of classics, lesser/unknown 6ts, new discoveries, crossover and a little modern.

the dancefloor wasnt packed but mostly nice filled, even with the more upfront stuff and i didnt know if they really like it. But after the set lot of peoplecame to me and said, even if we are not dancing we are listening and really liked the tunes you played.

so for me ths was a very great evening organized by great hosts. 

Summary: even if you are a bit fixed on oldies just keep an ear open as its not only the tunes, also the way to mix em and the passion you are able to share as a dj....

Social source share

Guest john s

Ok now i understood.

I've invited you once, mate!  :wink:

Social source share

I do. It was a totally different world back then. Can you imagine being threatened to be beaten up for wearing a soul patch to a venue you'd never been to? I was. You could not just walk in and think you were the dogs nads, you had to do your time. If that's not the case now, and it obviously isn't, then that's great for you, but don't disrespect people like Chalky coming on here trying to explain what it was like back then, it won't do you any favours. Young flash gits with money will never get any respect from me.

Pete, is this you from Sweden?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've invited you once, mate!  :wink:

I know be happy that we couldnt do it as we would have killed your floor...

hope we get a 2nd chance though one day

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I know be happy that we couldnt do it as we would have killed your floor...

hope we get a 2nd chance though one day

Now I have to say that at Johns venue you would feel more at home as the crowd they get there have ears open and open to stuff they don't or might not know and they go out to dance and enjoy themselves so you could say a bit more like you are used to at home.  You would love it there I reccomend you give it a go at the Go Go  :hatsoff2: They also don't care how old a dj is as long as they have the records  :thumbsup:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

The dj should always be in tune with the crowd. At the same time he should be capable of playing something surprising too... I think.

By the way, I like to play with people from the older generation asnd hear their opinions because I have a lot to learn and I have respect for their knowledge. But I think that it is also right that one (I mean a youngster) should now try to build his new scene as the others (the olders) did before....  

Edited by andrea ko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Why not? I'm playing my first set next month.

My dads mate runs an event, there's no soul club ran by young people where I live, because there simply isn't the demand.

If you play it, they will come! Lost count of the number of venues I tried to get going as a yung'un. Be your own promoter. Stop whinging, make it happen.

Social source share

remember a heated exchange of views on here some years ago and people having a go at the then young alex , well I have known alex for a long time and said back then , he was one of the nicest and politest young man I had ever known and it is still true , and he is a crackin dj , and there are a good few youngens like him and some cracking female dj,s but they aren't going to get the spots because the old boy you play at mine then I can play at yours network rules ok and the fat old balding hegemony want to keep it like this because theres money to be had ,

Social source share

I did actually think you meant the "old" dj's at first but then thought.... nah, you wouldn't be that dis-respectful.

Text messaging and return posts can be read in several ways, with the exception of the "Doomsday" bit

my above post can represent both "old" DJ's and "old" tunes.

I will put it to you.... WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE WITH "OLD" DJ's ????.... Straight answer to a straight question!!!!

Social source share

Well I would say start with attending an event regularly, get to know the promoter and then ask about a spot if you think you have the records to suit the event - definitely don't go once and ask about a spot.

If we you want to try events that you can't reach, go the polite e-mail and maybe list some of the tunes you like to play.

Some will help you and some won't for a variety of different reasons.

Dave

Blimey, a sensible answer. Agreed and find a nighter/club you enjoy, go regularly and try the odd pester. If you bring your mates along too the promoter will want to keep your crowd happy and will try you out; hopefully
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sadly there is people out there with the records that can't get a look in so most places stick with their band of mates and play the same tunes all the time to each other so unless the young ones can get in with some promoters they will have to put on their own event then invite fellow promoters to dj at their event and I turn what generally happens is they get return dj spots themselves.  Your lucky you don't live in the south the standard of djs isn't very good and no youngsters wanting to dj.  Its a case of different venues same djs. 

Thing is there are some cracking, exciting DJ's on the SC, unfortunately they are almost always over looked....why ?

Social source share

Guest eulalie

Disclaimer: This isn't a sensible answer (see above for that) and intended only as a joke.  

I firmly believe in things being judged on their own merit like others have commented here, however there may just be a loophole to this that's been overlooked.  Try rocking up to venue with your record box ready to DJ and wearing a balaclava to conceal your true identity. Simply go by the name DJ unknown or DJ c/u. This will likely create a hype and buzz about you and people will be so intrigued that they will want to hear you DJ.  If your set isn't up to the standards of the other DJs this may just be overlooked in favour of your incognito allure. Surely worth a shot?

Social source share

Disclaimer: This isn't a sensible answer (see above for that) and intended only as a joke.  

I firmly believe in things being judged on their own merit like others have commented here, however there may just be a loophole to this that's been overlooked.  Try rocking up to venue with your record box ready to DJ and wearing a balaclava to conceal your true identity. Simply go by the name DJ unknown or DJ c/u. This will likely create a hype and buzz about you and people will be so intrigued that they will want to hear you DJ.  If your set isn't up to the standards of the other DJs this may just be overlooked in favour of your incognito allure. Surely worth a shot?

Don't think so Eulalie, they'll think "whose this nutter"?

Social source share

One last post from.me... Discounting Soul Sam and Ted Massey..

What is the average age of a dj's on the soul scene at say, the torch, twisted wheel,Wigan, St Ives, Leeds central

,what average age were the punters.. How many yrs experience was needed to be had under your belt to dj and what amount of knowledge was needed to cut it back then?

You don't need to answer, but read it, then read through your comments, ask yourself what contradiction, hypocrite means... Take a good look in the mirror and if your hairs gone grey or gone all together... your skins got lines on it and you feel very old... Chances are you've turned into the people that made you get into.the scene in the first place!

Yes... Congratulations, you've finally turned into the old git Harry Enfield created to make fun of you lol

Social source share

Had my say on the DJ spot debate but on the 'undercurrent' of HBoogaloo, I can only comment from personal experience;

I was at a weekender in Valencia a couple of years back, top quality UK DJ's - can't recall exactly but definitely Mick H and either John Parker, Marc Forrest (not UK I know) and Ady or Roger Banks maybe (I think the Willingham's were the year after). Anyway Henning also on the bill.

I distinctly remember first thinking 'what is he playing' but warming into his tunes and selections - a nice change, excellent sets that were different but somehow fitted - certainly held his own and caught the feel of the weekender well.

So for me, the tunes work even in the 'rarefied' atmosphere of top DJ's.

Dave (apologies for the hazy memories or which one was which - rather large measures out there don't you know).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally i think the scene is very healthy at the moment with the great selection of old,young and no so young dj`s/collectors playing great/across the board Black music from all years.

Re booking young dj`s,i have no problem with that and we have booked a few over the years at Filthy Soul,one guy that stands out is Neil Birnie.Neil plays at his own events and also played at Majestic and Carib soul. For me it`s not a an issue,be if your old or young,the key is can they bring something new to what we already have or keep to the ethos of what we believe in,having fun,no politics,O.v.o. etc.There`s a few more(some not mentioned yet ) who i know have great collections/Good ear who i will book next year or in near future.

I do feel that you still have to do your collecting apprenticeship of say 8 years before you can really start to play out.I know when i first started collecting,it took me a good 10 years before i would have even thought of playing out.Bear in mind i was like a hoover when it came to vinyl,buying like a madman and i didn`t have it all.I`m sure some of the young ones might have found better/more records before that time limit but that`s just my view.

I feel the European scene at the moment is very vibrant and young with no hang ups and having been to Bilbao and Stockholm weekenders,both were musically superb with the mid 20`s- to maybe early 40`s guys playing some great sets .Tha`s not to say we don`t have our own young guns cutting the mustard here in the uk. I just feel it`s harder for them cos a lot  of the soul scene are in there  late  40`s-60`s, are  musically stuck in a time warp.

Also last thought,let`s not dimiss the mid 30`s-40 something collectors who been buying away who have now been asked to guest at local/smaller events and who for me play much more interesting records then the `big boys`.This just my thoughts . :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Milk Man" what you actually said was below.  I am cut to the quick, I really am.

the milk man edit

So glad that I don't know you and I get to reply to your pathetic outburst. Whilst you've been sat in front of your computer with your badges I've been out at a club listening to some fantastic tunes mocking the fact that people like you exist. I wasn't disrespecting anyone at all, I was just stating that people who are new to this scene should have the choice of the history of it rather than having it forced down their throat. You may love reliving your youth, but the people who I was referring to are living for the preset and loving it for what it actually is. Which ultimately means people couldn't give two thoughts to what badge you were or weren't wearing. As for being a flash git, don't have a clue what you're on about, I don't wear vest and baggies if that's what you mean. Enjoy getting off on your nostalgia mate

Social source share

Guest the fifer

When i started on the scene in the early 80's  in Scotland  the majority of  the scottish dj's were late teens - early 20's who approached the music with a fresh outlook.

Had the prevailing attitude been as it appears to be now would the scene in scotland at that time have been so vibrant as it was drawing in substantial numbers of people from all over the uk  ?  ------ i somehow doubt it.

Derek

Social source share

D'js need to have imagination regardless of age the thing is now as has already has been said a lot of stuff has been discoverd and played out but there is alot of stuff thats been forgotten about there are lots of £5/£10 records around.  You can make collecting as cheap or as expensive as you want As regards the younger crowd Djing they need to start there own nights as some already have.

Social source share

It might be interesting to you but the playlists you posted up are at total odds with most venues in the UK, you've got your tunes, we've got ours by the looks of it, and yours and your friends playlist tunes would go down like a lead balloon over here, so you enjoy yourselves and let us get on with it without calling people dinosaurs just because they don't like soul pack rejects.

that's a bit out of order. Henning and those other djs sets certainly appeal to me and I think would have been enjoyed by plenty of people who's taste isnt dictated by the northern soul rule book.

they've made their own style and you call it soul pack rejects? For a start, soul pack rejects might be better than past biggies to some ears. Not everyone thinks that the soul sound favoured in the 70s is the best.

these guys are doing their own thing and you slag them off, as I'm sure you would if they played the same old shit...talk about not being able to win!

henning - you've got the wrong stick all the way through this post. No one is saying that you cant be a good dj if you're young...just that it's very hard and apparently prohibitively so, as there doesnt seem to be too many in the uk who can compete - remember, theres a LOT of collectors in this country and there's obviously a lot of middle aged savings / inheritance money in the game.

You may have more young folks in europe who can bring something, but your'e still only to provide us with a handful of names.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

that's a bit out of order. Henning and those other djs sets certainly appeal to me and I think would have been enjoyed by plenty of people who's taste isnt dictated by the northern soul rule book.

they've made their own style and you call it soul pack rejects? For a start, soul pack rejects might be better than past biggies to some ears. Not everyone thinks that the soul sound favoured in the 70s is the best.

these guys are doing their own thing and you slag them off, as I'm sure you would if they played the same old shit...talk about not being able to win!

henning - you've got the wrong stick all the way through this post. No one is saying that you cant be a good dj if you're young...just that it's very hard and apparently prohibitively so, as there doesnt seem to be too many in the uk who can compete - remember, theres a LOT of collectors in this country and there's obviously a lot of middle aged savings / inheritance money in the game.

You may have more young folks in europe who can bring something, but your'e still only to provide us with a handful of names.

Sorry if it sounded out of order, what I meant was that the majority of people who go out on a friday or saturday night wouldn't know most of those records, simple as that - if we say 90% of all venues are oldies / handbag, it'd go down like the proverbial lead balloon.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thing is there are some cracking, exciting DJ's on the SC, unfortunately they are almost always over looked....why ?

That will change Russ I promise  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Regardless of age or gender a DJ needs to have passion and a reputation for playing an interesting/exciting/eclectic set.

Then and only then should he or she expect to be asked to guest at nights.

But how will they get that reputation if they cant get a spot to play em ??

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

If you play it, they will come! Lost count of the number of venues I tried to get going as a yung'un. Be your own promoter. Stop whinging, make it happen.

It's played in other soul clubs in the local area, namely: RAFA Serious Shades Of Soul and Pacemakers, and has done for a good few years. They're both well promoted events.

Presumably, any would be (young) soul fans would go, and check these events out.

Social source share

remember a heated exchange of views on here some years ago and people having a go at the then young alex , well I have known alex for a long time and said back then , he was one of the nicest and politest young man I had ever known and it is still true , and he is a crackin dj , and there are a good few youngens like him and some cracking female dj,s but they aren't going to get the spots because the old boy you play at mine then I can play at yours network rules ok and the fat old balding hegemony want to keep it like this because theres money to be had ,

it's the same with banking! It's just a public school boys club where they just look after each other. There's no way someone like me could get a look in...

The above statements may be true, but it doesnt mean that I'd be a good banker or that I know anything about banking, or that I deserve to be a banker any more than the shitbags who already do it

in the end, you cant blame other people for your lack of opportunities, unless there's some real civil rights issues in play.

Dont like what's going on? Start your own club.

Social source share

Had my say on the DJ spot debate but on the 'undercurrent' of HBoogaloo, I can only comment from personal experience;

I was at a weekender in Valencia a couple of years back, top quality UK DJ's - can't recall exactly but definitely Mick H and either John Parker, Marc Forrest (not UK I know) and Ady or Roger Banks maybe (I think the Willingham's were the year after). Anyway Henning also on the bill.

I distinctly remember first thinking 'what is he playing' but warming into his tunes and selections - a nice change, excellent sets that were different but somehow fitted - certainly held his own and caught the feel of the weekender well.

So for me, the tunes work even in the 'rarefied' atmosphere of top DJ's.

Dave (apologies for the hazy memories or which one was which - rather large measures out there don't you know).

thx a lot for the kind and honest words dave!! really appreciate that!!!

Social source share

I think the point is that anyone would struggle to start building a decent collection now with prices being what they are. Big records have always been expensive relative to an average wage but I think the real obstacle now is the lack of good cheapies and newies in any style, which makes it very hard to create your own identity. When cheap but great 45s like irene and the scotts, and darrow fletchers on groovy are £100, you know you're starting with an incredible handicap.

when I was buying a lot of r&b, early to mid 00s, a quality newie on ebay might have been contested by 5 or so people and go for $200, the equivalent now are $500-1000, and they come up rarely.

without the opportunity to source unique spins, the best a new dj can hope for is to play known records in their own order - not really as exciting a proposition as breaking new tracks every month.

so it's one thing to say that new djing blood is needed, but what would be different about it?

Once again Mik has hit the nail on the head. If a "messiah" figure suddenly turned up at nighters with a set of unknown but brilliant 60's northern dancers, then to quote the movie "people will come". I personally know many people who are desperate to go out to a nighter, but they will never experience the excitement of hearing new and exciting northern dancers like they used to, so they just don't go anymore.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Milk Man" what you actually said was below.  I am cut to the quick, I really am.

the milk man edit

So glad that I don't know you and I get to reply to your pathetic outburst. Whilst you've been sat in front of your computer with your badges I've been out at a club listening to some fantastic tunes mocking the fact that people like you exist. I wasn't disrespecting anyone at all, I was just stating that people who are new to this scene should have the choice of the history of it rather than having it forced down their throat. You may love reliving your youth, but the people who I was referring to are living for the preset and loving it for what it actually is. Which ultimately means people couldn't give two thoughts to what badge you were or weren't wearing. As for being a flash git, don't have a clue what you're on about, I don't wear vest and baggies if that's what you mean. Enjoy getting off on your nostalgia mate

dont know why he deleted that. Its a fair point, and not offensive]

Social source share

dont know why he deleted that. Its a fair point, and not offensive]

Didn't say it was, but his original post was quite disrespectful to anyone older not in his clique, as is this one.

We obviously see things differently.  But I have to go to Aldi now.

Social source share

I think its more to do with the fact he feels disappointed that someone has pushed him to that point .

But it is good innit :)

What do you mean, pushed him to that point?

original post:

I do. It was a totally different world back then.  Can you imagine being threatened to be beaten up for wearing a soul patch to a venue you'd never been to?  I was.  You could not just walk in and think you were the dogs nads, you had to do your time.  If that's not the case now, and it obviously isn't, then that's great for you, but don't disrespect people like Chalky coming on here trying to explain what it was like back then, it won't do you any favours.   Young flash gits with money will never get any respect from me.

Nev you've become so predictable you're like some weird stalker-cum-troll, you can guarantee if I make a post, 90% of the time you'll be there with a negative or mocking comment, and noticeably not just on my posts either...except it's usually at night.

Social source share

I think the point is that anyone would struggle to start building a decent collection now with prices being what they are. Big records have always been expensive relative to an average wage but I think the real obstacle now is the lack of good cheapies and newies in any style, which makes it very hard to create your own identity. When cheap but great 45s like irene and the scotts, and darrow fletchers on groovy are £100, you know you're starting with an incredible handicap.

when I was buying a lot of r&b, early to mid 00s, a quality newie on ebay might have been contested by 5 or so people and go for $200, the equivalent now are $500-1000, and they come up rarely.

without the opportunity to source unique spins, the best a new dj can hope for is to play known records in their own order - not really as exciting a proposition as breaking new tracks every month.

so it's one thing to say that new djing blood is needed, but what would be different about it?

Sorry, I'm not sure why you have quoted me, the post I originally quoted categorically stated 'What 20 year old is going to be able to spend £300 - £400 regularly on records' so I assumed he didn't mean 'anyone' and that's what I replied to,

I'm kind of saying the monetary aspect applies to everyone, therefore agreeing with you

Social source share

Sorry if it sounded out of order, what I meant was that the majority of people who go out on a friday or saturday night wouldn't know most of those records, simple as that - if we say 90% of all venues are oldies / handbag, it'd go down like the proverbial lead balloon.

Fair enough but in any debate on here, I dont take the oldies scene into account - it is infinite and unchangable so nothing to debate or influence.

I think its fair to assume that the future of soul djing, whatever age group's hands it is in, is not in churning out nostalgia. I'm sure no 20 year old aspires to that....do they!?

Social source share

Fair enough but in any debate on here, I dont take the oldies scene into account - it is infinite and unchangable so nothing to debate or influence.

I think its fair to assume that the future of soul djing, whatever age group's hands it is in, is not in churning out nostalgia. I'm sure no 20 year old aspires to that....do they!?

No but what's the quote about not being able to see the future unless you know the past...or something like that.  And whatever age you are, there are just some records that you have to have as an essential part of a DJ's toolkit, in case of emergency break glass and play "Cause You're Mine" sort of thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share