How Do We Get Young Djs Spots St Events?

You can,t like all thats out there (these days anyway) vibe/music wise.....so find the venues that you like musically...that will probably be the sort of stuff you buy/collect.....Then the probability of you getting to dj at chosen venue/venues will increase..........because hey!  you like what they like..........and remember  it,s not just about djing......ya gotta enjoy going out,djing or otherwise...If ya just there for a spot,you,ll fall by the wayside rather quick.

Oh!......take no notice of    La Beat lol :lol:

Gordon, you had some top top tunes in your time..... thats my compliment for the day :)

Social source share

Ok peeps. Now a Silly Idea....

What about a New thread for DJs that Would like to get a Spot and think that they are ready for it:

- Top Ten spins

- ovo or not

- experience

Would be Nice as some Promoter might get interested into some New DJs, fresh Air Comes in, the DJs get a Spot, Promoters can choose what fits to their nighter or might start to do experiments and we all can See whats going on in the boxes...

Its an unwritten Law Not too ask for dj Spot, this Would change it :)

Four promoters, each sat in a swivel chair, facing away from a set of decks.  Each young hopeful would then play their set in the hope that one or more promoters turned their chair round.  I think you might have something there.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This thread is crackers. If you collect records and have aspirations to dj then be a bit creative about it. Don't be rattling off your top 20 tunes on a forum in the hope of getting a spot. That really does take all the romance out of it.

Not everyone gets to dj. Wait to get asked. If you don't get asked then tough shit. Start your own night or get a collective going.

Why don't people use a bit of imagination. How fucking uninspiring and pointless this entire thread is.

except for my post :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Gordon, you had some top top tunes in your time..... thats my compliment for the day :)

Do you know what..........never dj,d once,never even thought about it :)

Social source share

Paul, didn't you say this was an entirely pointless thread??? but now your giving advice ???.... Double standards matey

How is it double standards?

Just pointing out the bloody odvious. I always thought the soul scene was a cool underground movement. Not a tombola style dj policy of getting young djs with nothing to offer bar youth.

Edited by PaulB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

How is it double standards?

Just pointing out the bloody odvious. I always thought the soul scene was a cool underground movement. Not a tombola style dj policy of getting young djs with nothing to offer bar youth.

You just can't say it's an entirely pointless thread, this is why you me and everyone else is on here.... to make points, what may be obvious to you

is fair comment but there are lots of valid views

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Quite true! The Soul scene is there to be enjoyed.... BY "ALL" AGES, weather you are a punter or a DJ.

I would rather not see any age discrimination, i go to venues to hear whats coming out of the speakers

Couldn't agree more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quite true! The Soul scene is there to be enjoyed.... BY "ALL" AGES, weather you are a punter or a DJ.

I would rather not see any age discrimination, i go to venues to hear whats coming out of the speakers

I'm going to start a campaign to teach you how to spell 'whether'......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What ? Standards of DJs isnt very good in the south ? What about these nights - Masters of Soul, Soul Syndicate, Majestic Soul, Inner City Soul nights run by James Pogson and his mates who look pretty young to me !! All vibrant, imaginative and upfront nights searching out new sounds !

What nights are you referring to ?

South Coast meaning the area between Brighton & Bournemouth, taking in Portsmouth & Southampton, not the South generally.

I would also add there are odd promoters who are the real deal, but the vast majority havnt got a scooby, pointless to even mention it here really, other than to correct the South Coast thing, as opposed to the entire South, as most of the so called promoters on the South Coast wouldnt be on a SOUL forum...when I say clueless, its being kind, trust me.... 

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Runs from Dover!

I am aware of that Pete, but to anyone who knows, there has always been some sort of scene in the areas I mention, as opposed to no scene as such in the area you refer to....sorry to be obvious, but just to be clear...the area I mention is one of those NS blips, were for some reason NS has always been popular... 

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

That will change Russ I promise  :thumbsup:

I bloody hope so mate, I love travelling, but OMG its getting a little tedious to have to have a 3 or 4 hour drive every time you wanna hear a decent set of records (within reason)...its been over 35 years of travelling now, with no break to speak of...I'm getting tired zzzz.....

Russ

Social source share

I am aware of that Pete, but to anyone who knows, there has always been some sort of scene in the areas I mention, as opposed to no scene as such in the area you refer to....sorry to be obvious, but just to be clear...the area I mention is one of those NS blips, were for some reason NS has always been popular... 

Russ

I see!

Used to be lots of do's in Eastbourne though :-)

Social source share

I can't believe this thread is still running! :no:

If nothing else us older ones have had a good lesson in how to win friends (and perhaps DY spots) from Mixercora. I suspect a good starting point in answer to the question posed in the thread is to learn some manners.

Nice

:facepalm:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

In that case I"m going to start a campagne to get me to read all threads

you,ve missed the "H" in  champaign

Social source share

Aaargh my eyes are starting to bleed! - someone lock this thread. Surely all points have been made?

Having said that, I've quite enjoyed this debate. If nothing else it proves there's passion and love for the music from all sides - that's good enough for me.

The scene'll find its own way - it always does.

POST No. 426!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Aaargh my eyes are starting to bleed! - someone lock this thread. Surely all points have been made?

Having said that, I've quite enjoyed this debate. If nothing else it proves there's passion and love for the music from all sides - that's good enough for me.

The scene'll find its own way - it always does.

POST No. 426!

I too have enjoyed reading this thread, granted I haven't posted much, but it has been a good read.

I agree with most that age shouldn't come into it, but I personally have two young lads (not so young now) to thank for bringing something special to Leeds & that's Arron Adams for That Driving Beat (in its 6th year now) & Rich Evans for Empty Bottles (in its 4th year) For me, Leeds was on its @rse until these guys brought something fresh to the City & they work alongside some fantastic guest deejays from all over the Country, of all ages, proving that we can all work together irrespective of age

Regards

Ali

Edit: I think Driving Beat might be in its 7th Year?

Edit again: missed an S off Evans, was on the mobile, & it's rubbish at times

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

:shhh: Hey!  we look at the younger guys possible playing boots and pressings. But what about adults playing double headers as the norm. You would think they would no better, home is the place for them. Should have a sign on them;; not to be played in public. Sorry but that's my take on it.Rod :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

:shhh: Hey!  we look at the younger guys possible playing boots and pressings. But what about adults playing double headers as the norm. You would think they would no better, home is the place for them. Should have a sign on them;; not to be played in public. Sorry but that's my take on it.Rod :hatsoff2:

What's a double header Rod?

Social source share

I too have enjoyed reading this thread, granted I haven't posted much, but it has been a good read.

I agree with most that age shouldn't come into it, but I personally have two young lads (not so young now) to thank for bringing something special to Leeds & that's Arron Adams for That Driving Beat (in its 6th year now) & Rich Evan for Empty Bottles (in its 4th year) For me, Leeds was on its @rse until these guys brought something fresh to the City & they work alongside some fantastic guest deejays from all over the Country, of all ages, proving that we can all work together irrespective of age

Regards

Ali

Edit: I think Driving Beat might be in its 7th Year?

Hi Ali.... nice post. To anyone thats never been to those two venues.... give em a try, you won't be disappointed!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Absolutely correct.

I visited a venue recently which had a young man behind the decks playing boot after boot - when I pointed this out or mentioned I had them on 'different' labels :D I got a blank look!!!! - why do the promoters book them :g:

Because the promoters that do this are also clueless?

Social source share

Absolutely correct.

I visited a venue recently which had a young man behind the decks playing boot after boot - when I pointed this out or mentioned I had them on 'different' labels :D I got a blank look!!!! - why do the promoters book them :g:

Given time they'l get the gist of it, part of the learning curve

Social source share

Given time they'l get the gist of it, part of the learning curve

Hopefully they will.

However, and as it's been discussed on here many times, there are lots of great originals for a tenner or less - perhaps a bit more thought and research should be used to put a playlist together.

We all had to start somewhere and I remember when Soul Sounds and OOTP appeared - we wouldn't touch them with a 'bargepole' :yes:  Perhaps people today have no scruples :(

Social source share