Come On Now Which Ones The Rarest

Sheldonsoul

Darrell Banks is twice as rare as Timi Yuro but now sells for half it's price.  This is because to half the people who are buying Timi Yuro, they think it's a newie.  I first got it in 88 and I was late to the ball with that.  So it's been played for nearly 30 years.  Darrell Banks, played as a new release, so maybe everyone who wants it has already got it.

Social source share

yeah the timi yuro is the only way to have it as a orig 45,where as the Darrell banks can be got on a much cheaper black issue.

Must stress Stateside issue not London issue - if it was London issue, it would be the rarest UK soul release.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must stress Stateside issue not London issue - if it was London issue, it would be the rarest UK soul release.

so is the stateside 45 a later reissue pete? and wasn't the yellow London demos withdrawn,which I suppose then, a black London issue DOESNT exist? im not that clued up on these releases.

Social source share

so is the stateside 45 a later reissue pete? and wasn't the yellow London demos withdrawn,which I suppose then, a black London issue DOESNT exist? im not that clued up on these releases.

Came out on London demo but was not released as Stateside had the UK license, so came out on Stateside red and white demo, and black issue - London issue never came out - was reissued in 69 or 70 on Stateside and came on a green and white demo, black issue.  I think it was still being manufactured in the 70's as an issue, so at least three Stateside presses.

Social source share

My choice?

Timi Yuro - "It'll never be affordable to me". Great tune. Monumental tune! So is DB, but as a song it's easily available. On the other hand, Timi Yuro gave us something completely unique. In my book there's nothing else like it emotionally, well, except for Buddy Smith - When you lose the one you love.

And that'll never be affordable to me either.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My choice?

Timi Yuro - "It'll never be affordable to me". Great tune. Monumental tune! So is DB, but as a song it's easily available. On the other hand, Timi Yuro gave us something completely unique. In my book there's nothing else like it emotionally, well, except for Buddy Smith - When you lose the one you love.

And that'll never be affordable to me either.

I love both of them.  And with the Darrell banks you get the best double sider ever.

That Buddy Smith is awful though.  And yes, I know I'm the only one on here who doesn't like it.

Social source share

Each to their own, of course, Pete. 

The DB is all about owning the rarest format of an otherwise very easily obtainable 45. It's about collecting rare things - objects as trophies.

The Timi Yuro is about a sublime slice of soul that just happens to be rare. It's music as a trophy. To me there's a big difference.

Mind you, find both in a charity shop for a quid each when I've only got one coin and one way or another I'd not leave either of them behind!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The DB is all about owning the rarest format of an otherwise very easily obtainable 45. It's about collecting rare things - objects as trophies.

How do you work that out, you mean the London one?  Otherwise, I'd be happy with a £3 Million Seller reissue it's such a great record

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Came out on London demo but was not released as Stateside had the UK license, so came out on Stateside red and white demo, and black issue - London issue never came out - was reissued in 69 or 70 on Stateside and came on a green and white demo, black issue.  I think it was still being manufactured in the 70's as an issue, so at least three Stateside presses.

got db on orig stateside issue, didn't know that London had a demo, Can't afford a ty, much as would love to have 1.

Social source share

You would never have to spend a fortune to own either of these as original releases, D. Banks on US Revilot 1st press (actually the TRUE original) very cheap and quite plentiful on Ebay, and the Timi Yuro is found on the LP ' Something bad ' on UK Liberty, an original 60's item that comes up sometimes for an affordable sum (mine cost me £6 from a record fair).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You would never have to spend a fortune to own either of these as original releases, D. Banks on US Revilot 1st press (actually the TRUE original) very cheap and quite plentiful on Ebay, and the Timi Yuro is found on the LP ' Something bad ' on UK Liberty, an original 60's item that comes up sometimes for an affordable sum (mine cost me £6 from a record fair).

And why are so many ' Soul Collectors ' obsessed with getting 60's 45's on UK issues / Demos .... if a great (or not so great) track was recorded and released in Chicago, Detroit, or whatever, surely that is the truest and most original recording to obtain as a proper appreciation of top 60's Soul, on the 1st US release ?!?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Timi Yuro is that expensive because it's the only way to get it on legit 45. It's chased by UK 45 collectors and US 45 collectors. Whereas DB is of interest only to the UK posse.

The correct answer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

yea but some of us like UK release and most of the time the vinyl is better anyway , and the UK never used that nasty styrene crap

exactly Dave, much better sound on UK stuff, always have preferred the British labels anyway !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

More to it than mere rarity and availability. Timi Yuro delivers one of the finest mid-pace soul tracks, a timeless classic, and one that would grace any event in its 45 rpm format. Darrel's contribution, excellent though it is, was very much part of the '70's up-tempo avalanche, great then, but not so great now unless squeezed into an oldies set. As an ender, or music to be cremated to, Timi Yuro has very little competition as it oozes with so much soul, it chokes you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

More to it than mere rarity and availability. Timi Yuro delivers one of the finest mid-pace soul tracks, a timeless classic, and one that would grace any event in its 45 rpm format. Darrel's contribution, excellent though it is, was very much part of the '70's up-tempo avalanche, great then, but not so great now unless squeezed into an oldies set. As an ender, or music to be cremated to, Timi Yuro has very little competition as it oozes with so much soul, it chokes you.

Perfect candidate for the alternate 3 before 8 along with John and the wierdest with tempests someday completing the job !

Thats two different topics in one :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it is all down to supply and demand guys, stuff that is ''in'' will always fetch higher prices irrespective of rarity. how many records can you name that were once a couple of quid that have escalated to much higher prices due to cute DJ exposure or even tv exposure, take Johhny Wyatt for instance, a Bronco demo was never anymore than £10 when I bought mine but now you would be lucky to get much change out of a hundred quid, Bobby Garrett, an issue was a fiver, demo probably £15-20, now it is anywhere between £85 and £100........ all down to exposure.

The two records in question in the thread are without doubt two very collectable British pieces, for the avid collector, but how often do they compete on a venues playlist with the more in vogue sounds ? Very little exposure means that only your hard core collectors are interested.

The other problem is available funds, not everyone has £6-700 to burn on a record, especially when you can get an original US copy in the case of DB for £20, TY admittedly a bit different but there is always a boot !

One thing I have noticed being a part time seller is that everyone wants everything for nothing !!!!

Social source share

Timi Yuro was never produced as a soul record like a few of you seem to think, and at the end of the day is a white pop record in the same vein as your Helen shapiros and Nita rossi, so why people are dressing it up as one of the ultimate soul records is a bit ott

Agree whole heartedly, to label them as soul records no, but soulful yes, TY definitely a soulful record, I personally love Helen Shapiro, not just the stuff that migrated over to northern, He knows how to love me is a great record, soulful to me.

With regards to records that were not produced as soul records well the scene is full of them, Paul Anka, Dana Valery, Ben Zine, Spiral Staircase, all palyed, umpteen British records,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the key back then was if it could be danced to and was in an uptempo soul vein,,,,,, actual colour of skin and intended genre did not come into it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Totally agree nick there are a lot of white soulful records and I'm certainly not against them, one of my personal all time favs is chapter 5 ycmi , the point Im making is these records were made with the pop charts in mind hoping to make it big , I don't think the word soul/soulful even came to mind when they were being produced and recorded

Social source share

Yes mate in the main I agree, but do you not think that the success of Motown started to influence the ''sound'' of some pop artists, very evident in Dusty Sprinfield the couple of Paul Ankas we play were aimed at that market for sure, seem to recall an interview somewhere with him where he said that, maybe wrong ?

It was probably more down to the producers/writers than the artists trying to emulate the success of Motown than anything else, anyway steering the thread of track a bit so will shut up LOL !!!

Social source share

Timi Yuro was never produced as a soul record like a few of you seem to think, and at the end of the day is a white pop record in the same vein as your Helen shapiros and Nita rossi, so why people are dressing it up as one of the ultimate soul records is a bit ott

A little harsh there lad............ :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest john s

the point Im making is these records were made with the pop charts in mind hoping to make it big 

same as every other record played on the 'scene', then!  :ohmy:

Social source share

timi yuro was recorded in london..so theres a chance that the uk lp and 45 came out before the usa lp

The US LP was released in October 1968 according to reviews/mentions in Billboard Magazine.

The UK 7" was released on 24 January 1969 according to 45cat.com.

As far as the UK LP goes, it probably was released in late 1968 or early 1969 going by other UK Liberty LP releases with adjoining catalogue numbers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't agree with comments stating that Timi Yuro never made a soul record–her version of "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" on Frequency produced by Willie Mitchell surely qualifies on every level.

Although Timi Yuro can be characterised as a Pop singer in the generic sense there was a huge amount of soul in practically everything she sang and her importance as a singer of tremendous emotional depth is there for all to hear. Skin colour is irrelevant on this one because she was the real deal.

Recorded at Wessex Sound in Islington, meaning in the same room as Anarchy In The UK and Blue Is The Colour. Strange but true.

But back on thread neither of these records is rare.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!