Tawny Von(Ne) Question

boba

I just got this 45 by Tawny Von on clearly a Pennsylvania area label (pictured):

post-5120-0-65518700-1397874072_thumb.jp

She has to be the same person who recorded as Tawny Vonne on Millage out of Pittsburgh. Anyways, on the label of the copy I got you can see a half-torn off sticker with a picture of a white lady on it. My question is: is the white lady Tawny Von or is it just something someone else put on the label after the fact? Are there other copies with the sticker on it? If so, can someone post an image of the label with the entire sticker? Even if not, it would be cool to know if that sticker is her and other copies came with the sticker. Thanks in advance.

Social source share

I just got this 45 by Tawny Von on clearly a Pennsylvania area label (pictured):

attachicon.giftawnyvon.JPG

She has to be the same person who recorded as Tawny Vonne on Millage out of Pittsburgh. Anyways, on the label of the copy I got you can see a half-torn off sticker with a picture of a white lady on it. My question is: is the white lady Tawny Von or is it just something someone else put on the label after the fact? Are there other copies with the sticker on it? If so, can someone post an image of the label with the entire sticker? Even if not, it would be cool to know if that sticker is her and other copies came with the sticker. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bob. I have had two copies of this record, neither with stickers on. I have one of her Millage records with stickers on but to do with the funeral director label owner and not Tawny herself. Good record by the way and one that deserves more acclaim.

Social source share

it couldn't possibly look more like a philly pressed record, do you disagree robb? and the fact that she has to be the same person as on millage is just confirmation. i have no idea what city she was actually from.

frankie, thanks for your info. anyone else ever seen this sticker? anyone ever seen a pic of tawny?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it couldn't possibly look more like a philly pressed record, do you disagree robb? and the fact that she has to be the same person as on millage is just confirmation. i have no idea what city she was actually from.

frankie, thanks for your info. anyone else ever seen this sticker? anyone ever seen a pic of tawny?

Yes, the label design looks like a Philadelphia pressing plant job.  And, because it is a tiny company, it's a LOT more likely that it was a local Philadelphia, Philly Metro Area or South New Jersey label. 

Social source share

thanks john, i appreciate it. so the final question is -- is she white and is that a piece of her photo on the label or just an unrelated sticker? thanks again.

She certainly "sounds" "White", especially on the "B" side-not as much on the "A" side.  But, as we well know, voices and style of diction can fool you.  Priscilla Page being a prime example of "voice style schizophrenia".

Social source share

Here's a sale of the record for $24.99 (a good value for a great girl's group sound: 

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/151072368961/Tawny_Von__Last_NightDont_Say_It_Never_Was_Entre_1966_wpicture_postcard

The sale includes a postcard with her photo on it, plus the signature of the label owner.

I wonder if the photo on the postcard is a bgger version of the one on the stamp?

Social source share

Here's a sale of the record for $24.99 (a good value for a great girl's group sound: 

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/151072368961/Tawny_Von__Last_NightDont_Say_It_Never_Was_Entre_1966_wpicture_postcard

The sale includes a postcard with her photo on it, plus the signature of the label owner.

I wonder if the photo on the postcard is a bgger version of the one on the stamp?

That sale has been listed here : https://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/tawny-von-last-night-don-t-say-it-never-was-entre-1966-w-picture-postcard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Alan! What's funny is that based on that link I'm pretty sure the half torn off pic is her, even though it's a different photo altogether. It would be pretty bizarre if somehow a similar looking woman got a sticker of herself on the label though.

I actually had an ultra-collector nerd ulterior motive in asking the original question, I was trying to figure out whether I should remove this ugly torn label from the record or whether it was part of the original artifact and should leave it. So now I have to leave the ugly label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!