Doug Tanner, 1960S North Carolina Producer

• Replies 3
  • Views 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

To begin with, he arranged and conducted two of Patti Austin's northern monsters : I've Give All My Love and You're Too Much A Part of Me.

Songwriter and music director on both those records was Fred Tanner. Related persons perhaps .... or one and the same person in light of the producer's name being Jekyll & Hyde ...

Appears to have had a more than casual link to Decca / Coral records as he was also involved on Sam and Bill's I'll Try and Tryin To Get Back To My Baby.

Also Fred Tanner was responsible for Chuck Cockerham's Have I Got A Right.

R-767711-1156738991.jpeg360049332298.jpgR-4360371-1362796794-9785.jpeg230929740722.jpg321192171688.jpg

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The above is correct as Fred & Doug Tanner is the same person.

He has 24 songs registered with BMI as Fred Tanner, Doug Tanner or Fred Douglass Tanner.

Some of his songs were co-written with Douglas Brown who also co-wrote stuff (for Mikim) with Leon Ware & Mickey Stevenson.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Cheers. I was aware of the Sam and Bill link (kind of why I was asking in part).

John and Fred Tanner (brothers, or all one and same?) were apparently session musicians at the Greensboro NC sessions on "I'll Try" and the other Decca tracks along with Little Mac (aka Willy McDougal aka Billy Mack). Would love to know more about what Doug Tanner +/- John +/- Fred were / is all about....

Like the Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde angle, beginning to make sense.

And Tanner and Coffman enterprises - who was Coffman?

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!