Writing On Label - Not Always A Bad Thing

Soul16

Back in the mid 80's, I went to a black music record fair at the Old Vic hotel in Wolverhampton and picked up a copy of Edwin Starr - I have faith in you on UK Polydor. It was in great condition, except for some wavy writing in ballpoint pen on the SOS side.

A couple of years ago I decided to catalogue my collection of 45's on my PC, including making notes about condition etc. It was only then that I noticed that the writing was actually Edwin's signature! 

I guess that in some circumstances, writing, or even radio station stickers can add interest and desirability to a record. A radio station sticker can put a 45 in a specific place in time I guess.

Does anyone else have anything of interest, or maybe you always like your labels 100% clean?

Edited by Soul16
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

This was a weird thing. I was writing the chapter on the Novas Nine for "It's Better to Cry", had just interviewed Brian Mann, one of the founder members and writer of "Pain" / "Why Listen". Next day I picked up a copy of this 45 on Heritage (rarely pops up unlike the ABC mixed version), which had a message to an old ex-girlfriend written on the label by Brian all those years ago...

post-14816-0-05977200-1397917039_thumb.j

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 or 3 years ago I won a copy of DEE EDWARDS - I CAN DEAL WITH THAT for a very good price and noticed on the label was written 'Doris' twice , so I presumed that whoever once owned it was called Doris (No shit Sherlock , eh?) . I then looked up Dee Edwards on Wikipedia and found out that her real name was Doris Jean Harrell  :g: .

I just wonder if it was her own copy or just coincidence  :huh: will never know.

here's the one I had

https://www.popsike.com/DEE-EDWARDS-RARE-DETO-LBL-I-CAN-DEAL-WITH-THAT-HEAR/260720400667.html

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

SWIFTY, on 19 Apr 2014 - 3:25 PM, said:

2 or 3 years ago I won a copy of DEE EDWARDS - I CAN DEAL WITH THAT for a very good price and noticed on the label was written 'Doris' twice , so I presumed that whoever once owned it was called Doris (No shit Sherlock , eh?) . I then looked up Dee Edwards on Wikipedia and found out that her real name was Doris Jean Harrell  :g: .

I just wonder if it was her own copy or just coincidence  :huh: will never know.

here's the one I had

https://www.popsike.com/DEE-EDWARDS-RARE-DETO-LBL-I-CAN-DEAL-WITH-THAT-HEAR/260720400667.html

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

That were Dirty Doris from Legbourne! Twice.

:wicked:

Nice

:lol: LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've got a copy of The El Count Executives on Gemini that has a bunch of girls names crossed off and then "from Leo" sort of as if he tried to give it to a girl, but they always gave it back or something. I've also got a cracked copy of Jackey Beavers on Revilot that's autographed that I traded a Rose Brooks with a birthday message written on the label for. 

Social source share

This was a weird thing. I was writing the chapter on the Novas Nine for "It's Better to Cry", had just interviewed Brian Mann, one of the founder members and writer of "Pain" / "Why Listen". Next day I picked up a copy of this 45 on Heritage (rarely pops up unlike the ABC mixed version), which had a message to an old ex-girlfriend written on the label by Brian all those years ago...

attachicon.gifimg359.jpg

I like the message, really sweet. 

Social source share

Had loads like that.  Sold a Linda Glass recently with a very long dedication from her to her neice I think it was.  Had a Holly St James where she had dedicated the sleeve, was to her sister I think.  And a Pye UK issue of "Joe 90 Theme" signed and dedicated by the great Barry Gray.

SL272604.JPG

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Got the Chuck Jackson of Gene R on here, some years ago, its the Drivelers (Nick Brown's) old copy and signed by the man, to the man!!

The Little Charles is from the West Coast and was part of a LA based collection, obviously his name was Coop, Ive seen loads of others all signed the same, be interested to find out if anybody else on here has some of his old tracks, and does anybody know anything more about him? allot of the 45's came over here via Shifty in 2002/3 I think...

Got some great Aussie ones, lots of Shirl loves Merv, and all that... :facepalm:

Mal

post-2025-0-98237900-1397925451_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-69894800-1397925464_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Got the Chuck Jackson of Gene R on here, some years ago, its the Drivelers (Nick Brown's) old copy and signed by the man, to the man!!

The Little Charles is from the West Coast and was part of a LA based collection, obviously his name was Coop, Ive seen loads of others all signed the same, be interested to find out if anybody else on here has some of his old tracks, and does anybody know anything more about him? allot of the 45's came over here via Shifty in 2002/3 I think...

Got some great Aussie ones, lots of Shirl loves Merv, and all that... :facepalm:

Mal

I have a WDJ Jock Mitchell - Not A Chance In A Million on Impact that I'm pretty sure has "COOP" on it - and if I recall correctly came from Shifty around that time.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got loads from groups and singers….A Turners Bros LP signed by nearly all of them, things like that. One of my favourites is probably Josh Pridgen of The Reflections writing on a copy of their first 45 "to Barbara - a very special black lady, love from Josh"….something like that. A bit of history, I am thinking he was proud as punch and gave a copy to his girlfriend…..

Social source share

I always used to avoid W.O.L. like the plague and only wanted perfectly clean labels.

Then I saw the light one day and started to appreciate some of the magic stuff that appears on labels, like date stamps, shop/distributor and other stamps, DJ scribbled comments. Even some crosses can make some labels look better I reckon  :lol:

Here's one I bought exactly because it had what I guess must be a DJ's comment on.

This one shows that Sue Perrin wrote the song herself (writer credits missing from the label) and that she was "16 yrs from Det"[roit].

Great stuff in my book  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER PICTURE

post-12286-0-51861300-1397926245_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Pete S, on 19 Apr 2014 - 4:38 PM, said:

Had loads like that.  Sold a Linda Glass recently with a very long dedication from her to her neice I think it was.  Had a Holly St James where she had dedicated the sleeve, was to her sister I think.  And a Pye UK issue of "Joe 90 Theme" signed and dedicated by the great Barry Gray.

SL272604.JPG

Nice writing Pete - shame about the record!

:D

Social source share

Back in the mid 80's, I went to black music record fair at the Old Vic hotel in Wolverhampton and picked up a copy of Edwin Starr - I have faith in you on UK Polydor. It was in great condition, except for some wavy writing in ballpoint pen on the SOS side. A couple of years ago I decided to catalogue my collection of 45's on my PC, including making notes about condition etc. It was only then that I noticed that the writing was actually Edwin's signature! I guess that in some circumstances, writing, or even radio station stickers can add interest and desirability to a record. A radio station sticker can put a 45 in a specific place in time I guess. 

Does anyone else have anything of interest, or maybe you always like your labels 100% clean?

Don't get too excited f there's writing on the label or not, the condition of the vinyl is more important to me. Have "Help me" by the Spellbinders with Bobby Shivers & Elouise Pennington's autograph, dated 1966 !!

post-4408-0-24264200-1397931324_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete S, on 19 Apr 2014 - 8:08 PM, said:

Nah it's a great record - if you remove the Northern connotations - I love 60's tv themes

Soul16, on 19 Apr 2014 - 8:29 PM, said:

I agree Pete. The theme from Department S was always a favourite of mine, along with High Chaparral.

Yep some great theme tunes out there.

Peter

Social source share

I have quite a few autographs on 45s and never classed it as WOL!

the WOL labels that always makes me smile are some comments by unknowns like "not so hot" or "too fast/slow" but to my taste they are the complete opposite to the written comment.......just goes to prove that music taste is in the main an individual thing?

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

General consensus was it ruined it!

A totally mindless act of incredible stupidity. Anyone with any genuine feelings for the music or the records would not have committed such wanton vandalism. There's only one Kenny from Scotland who walks on water and he scribbles his name on red football shirts for a good cause...

Social source share

I have a Distants on Thelma with Richard Street's and all the group members' signatures on it.  This was his new group, after Otis Williams, Elbridge Bryant and Melvin Franklin left to join Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to form The Temptatrions.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought this copy of the Brotherhood 45 "When You Need Me"  a while back ..not sure about the group line up but the tune was recorded in Ann Arbor Michigan, and the  autograph  from Carl (G)rimes with his phone number is addressed to nearby Detroit legend Emanuel Lasky!

It's a truly awesome 45 as well..  :thumbsup:

post-30934-0-18246000-1397983243_thumb.p

Edited by stockholmsoulfox
Social source share

Got a Red Philtown You should o held on. Signed by Frankie Karl. My Groovettes Think it over baby is signed by the band leader ( Gene Read I think from memory). Too lazy to check sorry. Also last year or maybe the year before I was recovering from cancer and a very good mate went to see The Elgins locally and got a cardboard cover signed by Yvonne Vernee. Special message to me etc. Proud to say it houses her Sonbert issue.

Got loads of WOL!   

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Got a Red Philtown You should o held on. Signed by Frankie Karl. My Groovettes Think it over baby is signed by the band leader ( Gene Read I think from memory). Too lazy to check sorry. Also last year or maybe the year before I was recovering from cancer and a very good mate went to see The Elgins locally and got a cardboard cover signed by Yvonne Vernee. Special message to me etc. Proud to say it houses her Sonbert issue.

Got loads of WOL!   

Not sure if i know you mate but i hope you are well and fully recovered :)

Social source share

subtle, i think the creations on globe one is the best so far. one of the best records and i would have never noticed the valentine's day.

you gotta pop out the metal center on that cheryl ann. i finally picked up that skill after years of unsuccessful attempts. apparently all rockabilly collectors can do it in 2 seconds.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When I was at college in the 8ts, a new class mate of mine said his older brother played in Edwin Starr's band, as a drummer, all of us being from the Midlands in the UK, and Edwin living up that way I believed him. So I asked if he could get a picture signed which he promptly did, and I have treasured that for years, although I cant locate it at the moment, It's somewhere...

Anyhow I met up with my old College mate last year and he broke the news that the entire class were in on it, and the note was in fact signed by a guy called Curtis, who we all used to rip the piss out of... :facepalm:  God Damm!!! That's Revenge....  So Curtis Smith from Chelmsley Wood in Birmingham, if your out there, my response will be swift !!! 

love George Smith, here's a good one on his only LP...

M

post-2025-0-48601900-1398033267_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!