'the Eight Tribes Of Vinyl Collector' - Bbc News Article

Never understood someone like Carl Cox switching from vinyl to cds when djing. I'd have presumed that vinyl was important to him and that he would be elitist. I know a few of the old house djs in Manchester and they still play vinyl.

Edited by PaulB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest the fifer

Never understood someone like Carl Cox switching from vinyl to cds when djing. I'd have presumed that vinyl was important to him and that he would be elitist. I know a few of the old house djs in Manchester and they still play vinyl.

Well they must be playing retro-house sets as only a fraction of new tracks ever reach vinyl these  day.

Unfortunately

Derek

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I think its quite simple Paul really. I can't think of one,[or, at least I'm not aware of any,] professional DJ who still plays vinyl out. I think, in the main, its not necessarily against using vinyl, its just far more practical to use either CDs or other newer technology available nowadays. Lugging lots of vinyl around is very hard work and it weighs a ton ! Also, it depends on what you play and for how long……Surely,the music you play and the way you play it is more important than what format its on ? I think vinyl will always be important to anyone of a certain age with our collecting obsession because we've all grown up with it and old habits die hard but in the mainstream scene its of little relevance these days. The CD players available these days are really good too.

I think Paul, its pretty much only the Rare Soul scene and vintage Reggae scene that still play vinyl out to any meaningful degree. Maybe Rocking scene too….?

Best, Ivor 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!