Djing

Guest Rob Alias

Guest Matt Male

Maybe Rob will use his show on Starpoint radio to demonstrate what he means? I'll be listening. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I wonder if anyone considers fitting a turbo onto a D type Jaguar to improve its performance.

However, I would like to thank Rob for his contribution on this subject. 

For years I suffered from insomnia and now I can read through the thread again and the cure is..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wonder if anyone considers fitting a turbo onto a D type Jaguar to improve its performance.

However, I would like to thank Rob for his contribution on this subject. 

For years I suffered from insomnia and now I can read through the thread again and the cure is..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

post-976-0-68898300-1398877349_thumb.png

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob Alias

You can't beat the old chop-segue technique.

I would genuinely like to see you demonstrate this technique live - I'm always willing to learn. Maybe Ian D will invite me along for a 'Mastercuts' class.

Rob Alias

Edited by Rob Alias
Social source share

I would genuinely like to see you demonstrate this technique live - I'm always willing to learn. Maybe Ian D will invite me along for a 'Mastercuts' class.

Rob Alias

I would genuinely like to see me demonstrate this technique live, given that I'm not a DJ and haven't a scooby what it is.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Rob Alias

its the most basic technique a hip hop dj can employ, simply sliding the x fader across- on the beat to cut into the other deck. Mind you, EQ and volume need to be matched really well. Heard Kev roberts do it with just like the weather/ love reputation at the kings hall years ago too. Its dead simple but takes bottle to carry of on a dancefloor, and it sounds shite if done badly

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go Rob, as you consistently ignored my requests to have your skills demonstrated through a podcast, an article that shows how much bunkum it really is

https://wundergroundmusic.com/art-of-djing-revealed-to-be-massive-scam-dreamt-up-by-technics-to-sell-turntables/

Bloody hell Dave.  Next they'll be saying that Spencer's perpetuated the myth that you dance better in their trousers.

Social source share

Here you go Rob, as you consistently ignored my requests to have your skills demonstrated through a podcast, an article that shows how much bunkum it really is

https://wundergroundmusic.com/art-of-djing-revealed-to-be-massive-scam-dreamt-up-by-technics-to-sell-turntables/

Great spoof that site, but mix djing is really considerably more skillful than the skills employed in collecting records imho.  

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

All talk then I guess..................... :g:

Does it make you feel better to think that? Have you ever listened to one of my LIVE mixes? Why do you think I did not bother to reply to some of the posts on here?

Sarcasm and hindsight are no excuse for a lack of technical skills....., although I rather suspect that some here think a cross fade refers to a failed sexual 'menage a trois'. And if they ever met a real black person they would shit their pants as they attempted to excuse the talcum powder.

Rob

:)

Edited by Rob Alias
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

its the most basic technique a hip hop dj can employ, simply sliding the x fader across- on the beat to cut into the other deck. Mind you, EQ and volume need to be matched really well. Heard Kev roberts do it with just like the weather/ love reputation at the kings hall years ago too. Its dead simple but takes bottle to carry of on a dancefloor, and it sounds shite if done badly

You missed my sarcasm. If Ian D wanted to teach me basic DJ techiques I would happily attend, but I rather susupect that it will not happen or rather, it could not happen. If he wanted to show me the 'chop segue technique' I would happily watch, if he wanted to assert a position within the pantheon of DJs with skills who have contributed to the technical development of DJing I would willingly undertake an appraisal ofthe facts.

I would rather suggest that the Northern Soul Scene (NSS) has contributed NOTHING in regard to the technical development of DJing in  the UK and beyond.  

Rob 

Edited by Rob Alias
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

attachicon.gifdj.jpg

This day is coming......

Yup. I own some expensive original vinyl 7" singles. Ergo, I am a DJ. I can't mix, I can't scratch or blend, and I can't even provide a useful vocal narrative, but I do own the original 7" vinyl singles, so I MUST be a DJ. And if you disagree with me that means you were not THERE, and can't make any claim regarding authenticity. And the fact that few black people appear to have participated in this nostalgic excercise means nothing........

Rob Alias

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Dave you have regulary mixed your drinks and scratched your arse behind the decks whilst playing tunes so I guess you have accepted the modern medium

Do you even know where your DJ arse is?

Rob

Social source share

You missed my sarcasm. If Ian D wanted to teach me basic DJ techiques I would happily attend, but I rather susupect that it will not happen or rather, it could not happen. If he wanted to show me the 'chop segue technique' I would happily watch, if he wanted to assert a position within the pantheon of DJs with skills who have contributed to the technical development of DJing I would willingly undertake an appraisal ofthe facts.

I would rather suggest that the Northern Soul Scene (NSS) has contributed NOTHING in regard to the technical development of DJing in  the UK and beyond.  

Rob 

You'll not find anyone on here arguing otherwise Rob, Northern soul has certainly done nothing to advance djing's technical aspects but it has had a massive creative contribution to the craft of Djing through its obsession with labels, obscurity, alternate versions, exclusivity, sequencing, I could  go on. Its rather well documented in most books on the history of Djing, Bill Brewster's 'last night a dj saved my life' amongst many others.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You see this puts much of the discussion regarding what constitutes 'Djing' in to a very useful context. At least after Froggy's experiences with Larry Levan and the slow introduction of the Technics 1200 (and later 1210), the techical apsects of DJing changed in some musical forms, indeed in Hip Hop and Electro Funk this particular skill constituted a particular aspect of credibility. The days of just fading from one record to another and talking were over. This kind of DJing had been predominat prior to the early 1980s but it is clear that it was soon not enough and that technical ability mattered.

Within this context, the concentration of original vinyl only (ovo) could be sustained only in so far as the technical horizon was delimited by practical accessibility. This was a development which was positive and negative, and would ultimately result in the 'goatee scratching self interested musical navel gazing' that can sometimes be seen in certain quarters. However, if DJing is about engaging with a crowd and developing a musical dynamic then DJs such as Jazzy Jeff et al remain pre-eminent. Yet despite such developments over the last 30 odd years some of you here appear to want to concentrate on the issue of whether the vinyl being played is original or not. This is nonsensical and ignores the fact that audience expectations have changed in this time, talking and fading from A to B is simply not enough, and as a potential paying punter I would find it simply unacceptable if this was how the evening developed. I expect, if not demand, musical knowledege, musical empathy and technical skills, not pre-1980 self-mythologising attempts at authenticity (whatever that actually means). As a DJ I expect more than a simple A-B mixer, without a decent cross fade etc. 

In my very humble view there are some apparent 'big name' DJs out there whose understanding of DJing as a technical skill remains rooted in the past, despite many of the innovations that have taken place over the subsequent years. Their reputations are based on the past, within a modern contextual narrative (all things being equal) they would not survive more than five minutes. The only reason for their apparent predominance is 'age' and 'who you / they know'.No wonder that for some the re-edit scene provided a lifeline that empowered them to appear to remain relevant and knowledgeable about current developements. The fact is they have no technical ability of their own and have to seek continuing legitimation through the work of others.

Looking at the bigger picture is it any reason that some sections of 'the scene' (not limited to 'Northern') are on their knees? Poor presentation against modern expectations are particularly relevant in passing the musical flame on, unless you want to criticize modern DJs for not using original vinyl or worshipping at the feet of Wigan etc. This is a spectatcular case of musical onanism.

And this is without considering the wider contextual narratives of class and race, especially in respect of 'Northern Soul', predicated on a black musical art form.

It reaally makes for a depressing situation, and some of you are responsible for this with your posturing regarding an imagined authenticity.

Rob Alias 

This is such a load of pseudish, pretentious twaddle. Maybe relevant to some other scene out there, and possibly even a musical one with foam squirted in, but not the Northern world.  The technical skills of putting a record on a turntable, cueing up the stylus and back winding to mesh up with the speed of a direct drive turntable are minimal for a grown adult of average intelligence. The issue of whether the vinyl is real or fake is key to the Northern scene - any fool can spin bootlegs but it takes a connoisseur to amass the tunes to DJ well. Just 'cos some BIG name gets paid a load of money on New Years Eve, it doesn't necessarily make them a good DJ, just an overpaid one.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

oh dear Mark

one of the biggest mistakes you will ever make is to mock the dj ,.

this is soul source not face book , we take things seriously on here and sycophancy rules ok as far as certain dj,s go ,.

cant get any smiley faces up : ) so this will after do

Edited by barney
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Does it make you feel better to think that? Have you ever listened to one of my LIVE mixes? Why do you think I did not bother to reply to some of the posts on here?

Sarcasm and hindsight are no excuse for a lack of technical skills....., although I rather suspect that some here think a cross fade refers to a failed sexual 'menage a trois'. And if they ever met a real black person they would shit their pants as they attempted to excuse the talcum powder.

Rob

Rob, this is what I've been asking you for. Where would I find one of your live mixes please?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rob 

.................you really don't get it, do you?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rob

That final paragraph sums you up.Insulting people on here,the "real black man" part is so off the mark and quite un PC.

Are we not worthy in your eyes.? A bunch of ungrateful,uneducated fools.? Forgive me for not "getting" your limitless unabounded and technical dj skills.

But guess what.? They are not needed on the NS/rare scene,call it what you like.

Cross fade my arse.....first thing you learn..............now if you're giving lessons on Gain...... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

DJ skill dont make me laugh twiddleing a few knobs and cueing a record hardly brain surgery is it .

You say that but I imagine for some it appears to be a real struggle.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Rob, this is what I've been asking you for. Where would I find one of your live mixes please?

All of my mixes are LIVE which means that they remain ephemeral, once played out that is it. However, given the decency of your reply let me know what Saturday you are frree and I will mix live - maybe with a surprise or two for you. I think that is fair?

Rob Alias

Edited by Rob Alias
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

That final paragraph sums you up.Insulting people on here,the "real black man" part is so off the mark and quite un PC.

Are we not worthy in your eyes.? A bunch of ungrateful,uneducated fools.? Forgive me for not "getting" your limitless unabounded and technical dj skills.

But guess what.? They are not needed on the NS/rare scene,call it what you like.

Cross fade my arse.....first thing you learn..............now if you're giving lessons on Gain...... :wicked:

Sorry Kev but your response makes no sense whatsoever. Are you going to try and tell me that the Northern Soul Scene (NSS) was taken up by the black audience? Most of the available visual material would frankly suggest otherwise, as would the material relating to the current scene, and this is something that has been recognised by Greg Wilson. Does this make me 'un-PC' to cite this apparently obvious issue? Of course not! As I have stated earlier in this thread the NSS is of potential interest for those interested in culture, music and social patterns because of the fact of its being a predominantly white working class phenomenon.

And what of gain? The red lights usually provide the most useful hint......it really isn't rocket science.

Rob Alias

Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

Despite all the high-falutin' talk, I've yet to hear an example of one of these mind-blowing Northern remixes or will they remain forever 'ephemeral'.

See post 235.

Simples. No?

Rob Alias

:wink:

Social source share