John Manship Auction Results 23-4-2014

8921_1sm.jpg8921_1sm.jpg8921_2sm.jpg8921_3sm.jpg8921_4sm.jpg
29 X 45s The Kent 100 Club - The Full Set

For the first time ever the FULL Set of 100 Club 45s. The promo only gifts on the door of Oxford Streets World famous 100 Club anniversaries.

29 complete and so near perfect. Offering up 58 sides of pure joy.. 1. Mary Love - Hey Stoney Face c/w Etta James - The Wall Flower 2. Melba Moore - The Magic Touch c/w Chuck Jackson - Little By Little 3. Platters - Not My Girl c/w Sammy Ambrose - Welcome To Dreamsvill 4. Peggy Woods - Love Is Gonna Get You c/wZZ’s Band - U just Cheat & Lie 5. Wally Cox - This Man ants You c/w Six Teens - Doing The Hundred 6. Fabulous Impacts - Baby Baby I Want You c/w Hampton’s - Not My Girl 7. Carla Thomas - I’ll Never Stop Loving You c/w Prophets Band - Peaches 8. Chuck Jackson - What’s With This Loneliness c/w Supebs - Surf & Soul 9. Teardrops - Here Comes Loneliness c/w Chubby Checker - You Can’t Lose 10. Phil Terrell - Love Has Passed Me By c/w Vic & John - Why Did She Lie 11. John Edwards - Ain’t That Good Enough c/w Loleatta Holloway-This Mans 12.Sharon Scott - Putting My Heart Under Lock & Key c/w Dean Courtney 13. Lorraine Chandler - You Only Live Twice c/w Metros - My Imagination 14. Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That u Love c/w San Francisco TKO’s 15. Johnny Taylor - Please Let Me In c/w Judy Clay - Since U came Along 16. Junior McCants - Try Me For Your New Love c/w Garland Green - Come 17. Mill Evans - Ain’t You Glad c/w Millionaires - I’m The One Who Loves You 18. M&M and the Peanuts - Can’t Say No c/w Charmaines - I Idolize you 19 Debra Johnson - To Get Love You’ve Got To Bring Love c/w Diplomats - 20. Magicains - Just a Little Faith & Understanding c/w Wee Willie Walker 21. Devonnes - Doin’ The Gittin’ Up c/w Mayberry Movement - I Can See him 22. Gigi & Charmaines - I Don’t Wanna Love Him c/w Mysteries - Too Late 23. Milton Bennett - What’s One More Lie c/w Hesitations - Go Away 24. Hytones - Good News c/w George Jackson - All In My Mind 25. Jackie Day - Get To Steppin’ c/w Larry Banks/Jaibi - My Life Is No Better 26. Paramount 4 - Sorry Ain’t The Word c/w Gene & Gary - Baby Without You 27. Quotations - I Wanna Thank U c/w George Soule - Midnight Affair 28. Billy & Clyde - A World Of My Own c/w September Jones - Stuttering Sam 29. Cavaliers - We Go Together c/w Tokays - Marriage Is Only A State of Mind

WOW!!!

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 2,347.00

8911_1sm.jpg8911_1sm.jpg8911_2sm.jpg
Exits I Don't Want To Hear It

The gathering of Jimmy Conwell, Godoy Colbert, Sir Hank Graham again serve up stand-out vocal group Northern Soul.

Another rarity that is crying out for more club turntable exposure than it has received over the years - but we can forgive because it is these guys rarest offering on the label.

In signature style Jimmy Conwell’s pleading vocal reaches out to us all, gliding along an unobtrusive arrangement adorned with creamy harmony vocal chorus and a considerate horns that only blare out as the vocal pauses. A true sign a masterclass soul-producing.

This NEEDS to be heard - it is a sleepy-beauty who requires just a kiss to stir and impress.. at this very moment totally under-valued, in the future who knows what price - especially as a Mint - copy seldom come to market.

Do not overlook the the bonus of the lush instrumental version on the flipside showcasing Sir Graham’s production skills without Jimmy’s overwhelming, decidedly heart wrenching lead vocal.

The winning bid was £ 212.00

8914_1sm.jpg8914_1sm.jpg8914_2sm.jpg8914_3sm.jpg8914_4sm.jpg
O'kaysions Girl Watcher

Call me old fashioned but I do appreciate the “first” original local labels and don’t we just adore those cheesy group shot Picture Sleeves with a most-unlikely bunch of good-looking guys serving up classic Northern Soul!

From the backwoods of Wilson, North Carolina to achieve a “Gold Record” when the power of ABC distribution turned this into a huge hit and of course a big 60s Brit-club hit also. A Twisted Wheel classic spin - but in these clothes, so very desirable for those of you who appreciate “firsts”

Complete with it’s rarely spied Picture Cover, it’s sparse but beautiful gold text on black label..

Vinyl has a few light marks but as you can hear it plays superbly - the Piccy sleeve I could gaze at for an age wondering how these guys served up such a compelling “soul” club dance experience; of coarse it was “The Beach” influence - but don’t they don it well, even if their dress sense comes into question… a little

The winning bid was £ 66.00

8920_1sm.jpg8920_1sm.jpg8920_2sm.jpg
Appointments Keep Away C/w (funny Feelin') Stepping Closer

The work of East Coast Soul Master Gene Redd is right up there with the very most respected writer/producers.

This listing represents one of his rarest 45s, a fabulous vocal-group Northern Soul dancer that so seldom comers to market.

Take a listen to the soothing intro that turns into layer after layer of mood changing soul, as Mr. Redd constructs the session. Nothing is spared as the pleading vocal begs “space” and the backing singers raise the bar from cooing to squealing as the emotion blows up.

Gene mixes harmony with and lush instrumental into a top-drawer slab of Northern bridged by an impressive instrumental break.

FANTASTIC STUFF!

Flip it over over and it’s NOT “Funny Feelin” but the highly sought after “STEPPINCLOSER” (Dart 3510) with all the “in vogue” ingredients for today’s scene as Gene gets a tad FUNKY; utilizing all the same assets to again craft a belting piece a Northern Soul this time with “edge”, as the horns whip up a rage and the girls enter soul-frenzy as the Prince Of Musical-Assertion keeps ramping up the production.

Want it rare, want great value for your investment, this jewel offers that in abundance..lush top side, and the “miss-press” chunk-of-FUNK flip.

The winning bid was £ 572.00

8913_1sm.jpg8913_1sm.jpg8913_2sm.jpg
Wm. Green & Marty's All Stars Pretzel

”..and now for something completely different”

A Tittyshaker of Tsunami proportions and it’s “Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat” RARE!

I’m not sure what was in the cocktails at “Marty’s” that evening but this Hollywood throng kick out a killer hammond led Boo-Ga-Loo shaker decorated in horns, and an “high as a kite” saxophonist who rattles the club to it’s foundations.

You want a “Tittyshaker”? you dig the “Organ”? you appreciate musicians who just “Let Loose” ? …this recording of William Green at “Marty’s” delivers the lot!!

Rare? ever seen “Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat” ? I’d never seen this 45 before… you could well be the only DJ playing it! We think it’ll turn heads and palpitate the crowd, just like it did back in 1962 Hollywood…

a KILLER that’s f’sure…

The winning bid was £ 67.00

Social source share

8915_1sm.jpg8915_1sm.jpg8915_2sm.jpg
Fran Oliver Next Time You See Me

Doc Oliver is never one to disappoint…

This 45 has been bubblin’ away on the back burner for decades - now starting to break the surface of the imaginative early-doors sets (Get to hear DJ Ann Taylor early-doors now she does a cool-set) Anyhow back to the listing, an elusive Chicago street-level production that instantly catches your attention, with the subtly caressed bongos at the intro.

Fran’s “Teri Goodnight” off-key vocal style works wonders with Doc Oliver’s minimalistic approach as an infectious keyboard works it’s way into your brain, enriched by subtle horns. This is smart-producing as the whole mix builds up and has you totally hooked.

We think this rarity deserves more than early-doors as you cannot ovoid it turning into a Northern Soul ear-worm…

Infectious in the extreme, drenched in potential for the BIg-Ticket.. like so many tunes just requires that Ann Tayloresque DJ to push the boundaries of our music… with this this 45 though you can be pretty sure the DJ before and after you, will most-probably not have a copy…

Go on stamp your mark…

The winning bid was £ 110.00

8919_1sm.jpg8919_1sm.jpg8919_2sm.jpg
Denise La Salle A Love Reputation C/w One Little Thing

Highly desirable PROMO.

WE have never seen a “Green” label promo and because the other Billy The Kid Emerson releases are also “Blue with silver text” design. I think it’s safe to presume that this is the “First” choice of colour on this release.

Classic/Timeless Northern Soul that without exception sucks them up off their chair like the mighty Tarpon taking a fly.

Dumps the flock on the dance-floor and your DJ set is up and running.. it’s a “banker” for NS reaction.

So if you care about owning it’s rarest format - this PROMO copy is it. Condition ..you could not wish to meet better..

The winning bid was £ 255.00

8910_1sm.jpg8910_1sm.jpg8910_2sm.jpg
Premonitions In Love Together C/w Baby Baby

Another genuinely RARE vocal-group Northern Soul rarity that has been patiently for decades, awaiting call up to the front-line.

There is no real formula, as to what breaks the price-barrier and what snoozes away in the very best collections, talked about on forums, bar stools and in the bedroom; as the bored wife has to again listen to her record collecting husband’s perversions of owning the seldom-seen scarcity bubbling over with NS potential.

So DJ’s and collectors looking for a worthy new addition to spark your life into action, we solidly believe this listing can only go one way in price..

Topside is an uplifting zippy harmony Northern Soul dancer full of finely honed vocals that retain a street-level honesty, as naivety triumphs over perfection. Fabulous Northern Soul but even then it pales to the masterpiece that lays hidden on the flip.

Just like The Astors on Stax 139, this 45 underlines there is more than the Northern Soul crowd who are willing to dive into their deep pockets for disc with the right vinyl-pedigree.

“Baby, Baby” is for me and many others is a 60s Sweet Soul treasure. Listen and weep, not only for the mood-changing quality of the emotion portrayed but also for the fact that most collectors will pass through this life without being able to jump out of bed and play this to his or anybody else’s wife.

RARE and so darn good, BOTH sides…

The winning bid was £ 307.00

8918_1sm.jpg8918_1sm.jpg8918_2sm.jpg
Sam & Bill I'll Try C/w I Feel Like Crying

Super elusive 1967 British PROMO.

The short lived partnership of Bill Johnson and Sam Gary only produced a mere 6 45’s which is a shame as these guys vocally-surged with Southern Soul angst producing ballads every note as good as the most coveted 60s Soul-Braces on the circuit.

This very elusive promo delivers value on two fronts. “I’ll Try” being a superb example of Northern Soul that in more recent times enjoyed huge MOD scene adulation and the flipside universally considered Deep Soul par excellence.

So before you today is the most desirable way to own this double-hitter.

and immaculate British DEMO with a date stamped center piece still sung in it’s birth-sleeve.

The winning bid was £ 122.00

8917_1sm.jpg8917_1sm.jpg8917_2sm.jpg
Curtis Lee & The Kcp's Everybody's Going Wild C/w Get In My Bag

Wow! how often do you see this fabulous Northern Soul stomper as the 1967 British PROMO!

Label owner Jack Taylor & Robert Gallo again craft thumping Northern Soul for their highly regarded New York based Rojac label (Robert/Jack), which UK CBS had rights to release during the mid-60s.

Not only is this format insanely hard to acquire, it also gives up shocking levels of Soul-potency that must have sent shivers down the backs of the Twisted Wheel congregation.

The side we lead with is searing Northern Soul, high-octane injected, rasping drop of the real-thing.

Flip it over for the side that Jack & Bob considered held the most-chance of sales and your treated to an explosive Hunk-Of-Funk! That has been receiving lots of attention from the DJ’s who like to shake it up, in a different direction.

Two fab sides one extremely rare disc that will have those British DEMO addicts extremely excited.

This copy has fine clean vinyl both sides the only flaw we can fine is a tiny unobtrusive “x” and a sticker blemish on the orange “A” side. (see scan)

The winning bid was £ 236.00

Social source share

8923_1sm.jpg8923_1sm.jpg8923_2sm.jpg
Moses Smith The Girl Across The Street C/w Hey Love (i Wanna Thanks You)

Wanna feel 18 again… click the soundfile

Want to know why the addiction of Northern Soul vinyl collecting is just as strong now as it ever was - gaze upon the label scan..

… few love affairs last a lifetime…

I’m still in love..

The winning bid was £ 246.00

8922_1sm.jpg8922_1sm.jpg8922_2sm.jpg
Troy Dodds Try My Love C/w The Real Thing

MINT and perhaps my favourite rare soul label design EVER, so beautiful…

So how pleasing is it that this head-turner, is no one-trick Soul-Blonde. It also offers the keeper TWO fabulous examples of Sunny California Northern Soul..or should that read “Foggy” California - as this is one of the peaks within that rich vein of 60s Bay Area Soul.

Rick Appling’s collaboration with Troy Dodds, was a meeting of two giant sounds as the production had to marry with Mr. Dodds earthquake inducing vocal..and it does just that note for note the mid-paced steamroller delivers POWER decorated with squealing and consummate horn blows.

Flip it over for a side..so far neglected by NS Jocks but so similar in make-up it would be a certain hit, if it got more than it’s occasional airing… we know what Troy’s vocal is about to do; the swooning girls are still there, salivating over that voice; so Mr. Appling pulls as if from nowhere a crazed saxophonist, who does a most-unforgettable break and those lusting girls go totally insane… tell me a record with a stronger girl studio presence than this session ignites…

TWO sides just giving it righyt up - and doing it down and oh so dirty!

In fact my copy is going back in the DJ box for “The Real Thing” to follow David Coleman’s “Drown My Heart” and The Isley Brothers ” Who’s That Lady-1962” - three mood-swinging Popcorn/Latin/Northern Soulers…

Irresistible..just irresistible

The winning bid was £ 563.00

8916_1sm.jpg8916_1sm.jpg8916_2sm.jpg
Freedom Machine Stop Doubting My Love C/w She Shakes For My Sake

This week’s Sweet Soul offering comes from the busy desk of the inimitable George Clinton.

On occasion when I hear a truly Stand-Out Soul tune, I seem to inadvertently revert to “food” analogies like delicious, scrumptious, yummy; I now know why, as this sweet-soul masterpiece has left me salivating for more. 3 minutes 27 seconds is just not long enough, I feel some pretentious nouvelle-cuisine chef has just serve me one perfectly cooked pea, surrounded by an insipid bubbly foam for my main course.

Oh how hungry am I for more soul of this “Michelin” standard harmony soul. Flawless vocal-group dining laid on a bed of strings, slowly cooked lead vocal dripping in vanilla, surrounded by a julienne of backing vocals so finely cut… it hurts.

it’s recordings of this exquisite calibre that momentarily make me forget all the other soul genres. This is a dish best served warm and slowly savored.

PROPER REAL DEAL SOUL of the sweetest kind.

Flip it over, and in true George Clinton you’ve finished your nosh, so get to the bar ….and GET DOWN!

The winning bid was £ 53.00

8912_1sm.jpg8912_1sm.jpg8912_2sm.jpg
Corletts I'm Getting Tired C/w Lost Without Your Love

An early Patrick Adams collaboration with Bobby Robinson crafts two exceptional girl-group Northern Soul dancers.

Top side is real-deal “Whoo-Whoo” Northern Soul saturated in booming brass and an ear-splitting lead vocal supported by her shrill classmates. Total Northern Soul, that briskly gives up proper adrenaline-inducing NS dance.

Since the heady days of “The Stomper Rules” and it’s premature bootlegging on the styrene “Bobby Robinson” label BR, this rarity has become more coveted for the classier flipside. A mid-tempo dream which carries all the same ingredients but arguably double-the-attraction, as it’s totally perfect for today’s dancefloor.

The “Schoolgirl” lead vocal who proclaims she’s been left with a “Hole In Her Heart” makes every word of the poignant lyrics count, as she squeals her pain and anguish caused by lost love. Utterly SUPERB ! and so deserving of the attention it has received from the DJ’s who try and push the NS envelope.

Proper double-sider offering value & excellence along with proven rarity.

The winning bid was £ 337.00

8924_1sm.jpg8924_1sm.jpg8924_2sm.jpg
Bobby Barnes Thank You For Loving Me C/w You Make My Life (a Sunny Day)

What time is it? - It’s Soul Time..Real-Soul Time!!

A moving session from the streets of Phoenix, portraying a man’s gratitude for his lady’s love;This is stronger than anything I’ve heard in recent times.

The highly skilled vocal-chords of Bobby Barnes reach out to you on raft of emotional notes of love. Listen how the man’s voice gently cracks as he relives his memories, listen how his voice bubbles up and purrs with delight when he remembers the special times.

This is “Soul” storytelling at it’s outer most eye-dampening best!

The type of artist I’d love to witness, in a small club playing to an audience who know an especially distinguished Soul-Man when they hear one.

This tune is outrageously Soulful, steppers don’t come any more eloquent than this masterpiece.

The winning bid was £ 150.00

Social source share

THINK SOMEONE'S HAD A BIT OF A BARGAIN WITH THE 100 CLUB SINGLES.

Only in the sense that it avoided the travel and ticket costs of attending 29 Anniversary Allnighters. Many folk, myself included, have over a dozen of them and rarely play them so the winning bid today is higher than expected. If the next set auctioned fetches a higher sum than today's lot, then the winner may have had a bargain. Expect to see more 100 Club singles on the market in the weeks ahead...probably overpriced and not selling...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Can someone tell me about the Carlettes (Corlettes) disc please? I didn't bid because I expected it to be on Bobby Robinson's lable. I was a bit confused by this one (not seen it before) so with the bid at lunchtime at about 24 quid I decided not to bother. Now I see the final price and am intrigued.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Is the troy dodds a good price? I thought it was more expensive than that, but could (as is the norm) be wrong! Thank you......Rob

troy dodds been stuck at around 600 for about 15 years. Just not quite rare enough to be a trophy piece and not exactly flavour of the month, the a side anyway. I got it for the real thing side ten years ago, and paid about that, so It's lost worth in real terms. Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

troy dodds been stuck at around 600 for about 15 years. Just not quite rare enough to be a trophy piece and not exactly flavour of the month, the a side anyway. I got it for the real thing side ten years ago, and paid about that, so It's lost worth in real terms.

I think it's just become fossilised as a '£600 record' and that's that. Never mind how many are around or whether it's desirable or worth having for DJing. Last time I played it, the dancefloor reaction was zero! 

Social source share

Can someone tell me about the Carlettes (Corlettes) disc please? I didn't bid because I expected it to be on Bobby Robinson's lable. I was a bit confused by this one (not seen it before) so with the bid at lunchtime at about 24 quid I decided not to bother. Now I see the final price and am intrigued.

What do you want to know about it Mikey? It's an established seller at around the 200-250 mark. Patrick Adams production, mis spelt.....good oldie etc....

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What do you want to know about it Mikey? It's an established seller at around the 200-250 mark. Patrick Adams production, mis spelt.....good oldie etc....

Just one that passed me by Steve. I've seen the Carlettes a couple of times but this was totally new to me that there was another disc.

I'd have been outbid anyway, but will have to keep an eye out for both in future.

Cheers

Social source share

I've seen the Carlettes a couple of times but this was totally new to me that there was another disc.

There were three official variation issues of this 45 (or four if you count promo AND issue). It was the only release by this group as far as I know.

The first and hardest to find issue is on the BR label as "The Carlettes":

post-1392-0-18258100-1398328762_thumb.jp

Then we have the CAPITOL promo release mis-credited to "Corletts":

post-1392-0-81252200-1398328764_thumb.jp

Lastly the somewhat correctly credited "Carletts" release on CAPITOL as both promo and issue:

post-1392-0-13458400-1398328764_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-58162100-1398328762_thumb.jp

Was also bootlegged on a "Bobby Robinson" label:

post-1392-0-13128000-1398328761_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

troy dodds been stuck at around 600 for about 15 years. Just not quite rare enough to be a trophy piece and not exactly flavour of the month, the a side anyway. I got it for the real thing side ten years ago, and paid about that, so It's lost worth in real terms.

WHAT???? all time brilliant 45, both sides,  quality never goes out of vogue, you know that...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks Seb. Thats perfect. I wish I'd bought the BR copy when I had the chance but plumped for something else. So I've never had a copy.

Social source share

Was Curtis Lee a good buy??

It would have been if you'd bought it off me last year, I sold the issue and the demo for £75 each.  Or less.

Issue is ten times rarer than the demo.

I've had two issues and five demos.

Was it a good buy?  I'm sure the buyer is happy.

that was the second issue I sold, first one was £60, can't find the list with the demo on

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

There were three official variation issues of this 45 (or four if you count promo AND issue). It was the only release by this group as far as I know.

The first and hardest to find issue is on the BR label as "The Carlettes":

attachicon.gifc-br.jpg

Then we have the CAPITOL promo release mis-credited to "Corletts":

attachicon.gifc-corletts-promo.jpg

Lastly the somewhat correctly credited "Carletts" release on CAPITOL as both promo and issue:

attachicon.gifc-carletts-promo.jpg   attachicon.gifc-carletts-issue.JPG

Was also bootlegged on a "Bobby Robinson" label:

attachicon.gifc-bobby.jpg

As per bloody usual mine is the boot! Even the wrinkles look identical!  :dash2:

Social source share

I think it's just become fossilised as a '£600 record' and that's that. Never mind how many are around or whether it's desirable or worth having for DJing. Last time I played it, the dancefloor reaction was zero! 

I've never had a problem. Always get plenty up dancing. But, I've never played it at an out and out oldies night. Just the venues where the punters like a good mix of tunes. 

Social source share

I've never had a problem. Always get plenty up dancing. But, I've never played it at an out and out oldies night. Just the venues where the punters like a good mix of tunes. 

Oh it's a great track - both sides. I suppose it is 'played out' a bit, so you need to drop it in the right place when people are in the mood for a few all-time greats.

Social source share

The Appointments auction 45 has 'Stepping closer' on the flip so no need for a Dart copy. The two best tunes on one 45 a complete bargain at £572!!

I was thinking that it would go higher myself as "stepping closer" is so "indemand" and you get their best track (only imo) on the flip ! would have thought the dart copy would be preferred if you wanted the deep side  ...on a purely northern stance I would have thought the mispressed red coach was more desirable. some people say the dart copy is a slightly more punchy version but I can't tell the difference

• Helpful 2
Social source share

£212 for the Exits" I Don't Want To Hear It" on Gemini!   It was always in selling boxes for £15. There was never much interest in it.

Social source share

The Appointments auction 45 has 'Stepping closer' on the flip so no need for a Dart copy. The two best tunes on one 45 a complete bargain at £572!!

A copy in not so good cond went for $999 on ebay a bit back!
Social source share

Like I have said before on these threads, the Troy Dodds suffers from nobody knowing just how many copies were in the big find. Mr. Manship keeps slipping them out every now and then. They are all issues and all mint. Great record, but hardly a dancer.

As for the Appointments. I'd rather have the De-lite copy with "I saw you there" on it. Now that's a bloody awesome and rare record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!