Tamala Lewis - Jobete

Guest Ferrett

Guest Ferrett

Just grabbed the Manship guide to look something up and noticed on the cover the Jobete reference on the Tamala Lewis - You won't say nothing (Marton) single.

Perhaps discussed before on SS, but was curious wether an unissued Motown version has ever surfaced.

Sitting here now imagining Carolyn Crawford or Kim Weston belting this northern classic out!!!

Social source share

I never saw an unissued Motown version of the Tamala Lewis, nor the Roy Handy on Marton, nor The Pets on Carnival, nor any Parliaments demo recordings of songs George Clinton wrote for them while with Motown.  However, Don Montgomery (adopted son and nephew of The Vows/Major's/Major IV's Larry Montgomery, told me that he had the Jobete Music acetate of "I Misjudged You" by The Parliaments, that was promised by Miss Ray to George Clinton, to be The Parliaments' first Motown release, but was scratched later, by Berry Gordy, when he closed down Jobete Music's New York office, when Raynoma pressed up Mary Wells' "My Guy" and sold it, and kept the money.  "I Misjudged You" was later recorded by The Parliaments and released on Chocolate City Records. 

We Do know that Alice Clark's  WB release was recorded by Kim Weston.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Barabara Randolph did okay on "I'm So Thankful", but I was disappointed in it. 

What I CAN'T figure out, is why Motown didn't put out and plug heavily a Motown artist version of "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet" (and why they didn't sign Mary Love, Gloria Jones, and Sandy Wynns (Edna Wright), when they signed The Holloway sisters).  And The Four Tops' "My Heart Is Calling You" was disappointing, in that it wasn't better than The Magnificents' version. 

Alice Clark's  WB release "You Hit Me Right Where It Hurts" was sung well by Kim Weston, but even that was a bit of a disappointment, in that it wasn't as much better than the WB version by Clark as I'd expected. 

In fact, I can't remember finding an unreleased Motown recording of an independent label non-Motown recording of a Jobete music song, that was much better.

"The Touch of Venus" by Patrice holloway was only about equal to Ed Cobb's independent production of Sandy Wynns' version.

I'd like to hear a Funk Brothers' Motown version of Frank Wilson's "Just Call On Me".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Marvin's version of Jimmy McFarland - Lonely lover is awesome.  Would be interested to understand how the song ended up at RPR for Jimmy to sing if anyone knows.  

Also kind of like Diana Ross's version of the Shawn Robinson song 'My Dear Heart'. Not as strong but a great alternative to the released version in my opinion.

Social source share

Marvin's version of Jimmy McFarland - Lonely lover is awesome.  Would be interested to understand how the song ended up at RPR for Jimmy to sing if anyone knows.  

Also kind of like Diana Ross's version of the Shawn Robinson song 'My Dear Heart'. Not as strong but a great alternative to the released version in my opinion.

It's not Diana Ross though...

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Oh right, didn't realise that!  Is it Motown though Pete?

What about her version of Eric Mercury - lonely girl/lonely boy?

Social source share

Tamala Lewis --- You Won't Say Nothing is a Masterpiece on Marton,Northern Soul at it's very best.

It is without doubt a great 100% up-tempo dancer at many venues around the UK.

It is a top quality Oldie and deserves the classic recognition that it gets.

In my opinion i don't think another Artist could better Tamala's version.

I do own a copy and always will.

Social source share

Tamala Lewis --- You Won't Say Nothing is a Masterpiece on Marton,Northern Soul at it's very best.

It is without doubt a great 100% up-tempo dancer at many venues around the UK.

It is a top quality Oldie and deserves the classic recognition that it gets.

In my opinion i don't think another Artist could better Tamala's version.

I do own a copy and always will.

There are many Northern Soul fans that would probably like The Marton version better than ANY Motown version - even with a fabulous Funk Brothers' instrumental background mix.  I am not really a "Northern Soul" fan.  I'm a fan of "Black American Music" from 1935-1967 or so.  I, for one, would like to hear what The Funk brothers and the other classic Motown recording session musicians have done, or would have done, with Jobete Music published songs that have come out on other labels.  I'm sure that there are also many NS fans who feel the same way as I do.  Tamala Lewis did a fabulous job on the vocals of both "You Won't Say Nothing" and "If You Can Stand Me".  But, I'd surely like to hear what The Funk Brothers would have done with those 2 songs in 1964.  I would also like to hear what they'd have done with "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet", "Let Me Know", "Just Call On Me", and some of Marv Johnson's UA songs that were recorded in Detroit, and some of Motown's songs recorded by "The Wrecking Crew" in L.A.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd like to hear that.Don't think i know it.It should be good because the Vows is brilliant.

if you think the vows is brilliant wait til you hear the versitiles version far better vocal and billy davis can hit the high notes better than morris chestnut i feel he struggles on this track unlike too darn soulful

Social source share

There isn't a 'Motown' recorded version of 'You Won't Say Nothing' listed in the tape library .... So the Tamala version is the only one

Andy

What about "If You Can Stand Me",(Tamala Lewis), I Misjudged You"(Parliaments), "Baby That's A Groove" &  Accidental Love"(Roy Handy), "Try Love One More Time"(Sparkels), "I Say Yeah"(Pets), "World Without Sunshine" (Sandra Phillips)"You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet" & "Let Me Know" (Mary Love), "The Day My Heart Stood Still" (Ollie Jackson), "Just Call On Me" & "Toast to The Lady" (Eddie (Frank) Wilson), "Sleepless Nights"(Paris), "It's A Wonderful Night" (Cinderellas), "Love's Gonna Do You In" (Autographs), "Window Shopping On Girls' Avenue"(Vala-Quons), "This Is Our Day" (Dolls), "Is Your Love Going or Growing" (Carl Hall) - any Motown Artists' recorded versions of these songs in The Motown Tape Library?  I didn't find them.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Didn't Chuck Jackson do a version of Ollie Jackson "The day my heart stood still"?  on V.I.P. titled as "The day my world stood still"?

No!  They are two VERY DIFFERENT songs.  Jackson's was a song that came out of Detroit, written by smokey Robinson, Terry Johnson and Al Cleveland, while Jackson's came out of the L.A. Jobete Music office, written by Hal Davis and Willie Hutch(ison).

Social source share

Did any Motown artist record a version of Tamiko's "Don't Laugh If I Cry At Your Party" ?

I'd like to know that as well.  I never saw a version of it in The Motown Vaults, but I missed a LOT of good cuts that WERE there, such as "I'm So Thankful" by Barbara Randolph, and "You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurts)" by Kim Weston.

Social source share

Not by the sound of this.

No!  They are two VERY DIFFERENT songs.  Jackson's was a song that came out of Detroit, written by smokey Robinson, Terry Johnson and Al Cleveland, while Jackson's came out of the L.A. Jobete Music office, written by Hal Davis and Willie Hutch(ison).

I stand corrected fellas, serves me right for repeating something I heard as a youth! You can always count on someone on here having the answer though!

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I never saw an unissued Motown version of the Tamala Lewis, nor the Roy Handy on Marton, nor The Pets on Carnival, nor any Parliaments demo recordings of songs George Clinton wrote for them while with Motown.  However, Don Montgomery (adopted son and nephew of The Vows/Major's/Major IV's Larry Montgomery, told me that he had the Jobete Music acetate of "I Misjudged You" by The Parliaments, that was promised by Miss Ray to George Clinton, to be The Parliaments' first Motown release, but was scratched later, by Berry Gordy, when he closed down Jobete Music's New York office, when Raynoma pressed up Mary Wells' "My Guy" and sold it, and kept the money.  "I Misjudged You" was later recorded by The Parliaments and released on Chocolate City Records. 

We Do know that Alice Clark's  WB release was recorded by Kim Weston.

a point of conjecture, what or how it occurred, either way, the record was pressed and money was made. but now as his ex wife one can only imagine what went on. here is a letter that lends us to believe it wasn`t  any good on any part............. and a copy of "evidence" record. go and see MY EXWIFE TO SETTLE ACCOUNTS.............

post-20010-0-04986100-1398852883.jpg

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

What about Marvin Gaye's version of 'A Touch of Venus'?

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/soul-library/marvin-gaye-r75180

I've never heard of any such recording.  Why hasn't a recording of it surfaced?  I can't imagine Marvin Gaye singing THAT song, nor any producer at Motown producing him singing it!  I don't think it's a song for a man to sing, but, even if it could be, it's not something for Marvin Gaye to sing.

Social source share

a point of conjecture, what or how it occurred, either way, the record was pressed and money was made. but now as his ex wife one can only imagine what went on. here is a letter that lends us to believe it wasn`t  any good on any part............. and a copy of "evidence" record. go and see MY EXWIFE TO SETTLE ACCOUNTS.............

attachicon.gifGetAttachment.jpg

I'd really like to read the letter but it's too small !

Any chance of a proper scan ?

Andy

Social source share

I've never heard of any such recording.  Why hasn't a recording of it surfaced?  I can't imagine Marvin Gaye singing THAT song, nor any producer at Motown producing him singing it!  I don't think it's a song for a man to sing, but, even if it could be, it's not something for Marvin Gaye to sing.

It does exist .. vocally it's classic Marvin but the arrangement is bizarre and totally ruins it ... you would be totally underwhelmed

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!