Ever Had A Record Eaten?

Gutted does not even come close...

Just recieved Jay Bee 'Praying For An Answer' from the USA.

Paid $450.

Was on the phone when the postman arrived.

Heard a commotion.

My 7 stone German Shepherd had a grip of the package in his jaws and was shaking it like a thing possessed.

His teeth have gone straight through the packaging, straight through the record.  The parts of the vinyl that haven't got holes in them are cracked with chunks missing.

It's b*ggered beyond belief.

It's the first 45 I have had from the USA since having the dog so there was no knock on the door to 'sign for' the pacakage.

Anyone else had a similar experience they want to share...just to make me feel less gutted?

Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

had the same thing happen to me mine was the Pointer sisters send him back my dog Toby chomped it to bits could have killed him but look on his face was a picture it was like it was not me honest the little git so now when I know i have records on the way he stays in the back garden till the posties been

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember Rod Dearlove telling me how he had a load of people contacting him for a kool & the gang 45 (chocolate buttermilk possibly) and he replied every time 'sorry, my dog ate em all'.

Seems he used a box of 45's to prop the door open, and to distract his dog Marvin he'd throw him a Kool & the Gang 45 and Marvin would sit happily chewing away on it for hours and stay away from chewing on anything else :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

About 20 years ago i was coming out of the bathroom and i saw our pet dog with a record in it's mouth. i was thinking please make it a cheapie, it wasn't silly rare but it was/is one of my favourites.

and the record was 'Oh Lord what are you doing to me'

You couldn't make it up :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Baby earl

Hi Binsy, don't know what it is about Big Maybelle but I had the same record eaten by my boxer a few years ago. He just stood there looking like he'd won the lottery and there was pieces of the packaging in every room. Suppose it was his idea of record distribution.

About 20 years ago i was coming out of the bathroom and i saw our pet dog with a record in it's mouth. i was thinking please make it a cheapie, it wasn't silly rare but it was/is one of my favourites.

and the record was 'Oh Lord what are you doing to me'

You couldn't make it up :(

Social source share

Whoever bought my UK Columbia Jane Hillery "You've got that hold on me" has a perfect set of my first daughter Jessica's teethprints from when she was 1 year old (1990) I opened it, left it on the table, next thing I know she's crawling around with it in her mouth  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't know if this will lessen the pain......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551545/Car-fanatic-gives-pet-dog-away-chews-HOLE-fibre-glass-wheel-arch-prized-80-000-Aston-Martin.html

.......and I wouldn't advocate giving your dog away.

Thank you, I feel a little less unlucky now.

My dog cannot hide behind the 'separation anxiety' argument as I was in the house at the time...he just got to the door quicker than me (mind you, I was on the phone and he does have more legs than me).

To make matters worse, when I shouted at him he got all scared and did a wee on the carpet!  After I'd finished clearing that up I emailed the wife and told her what he'd done and she blamed me!

I am soooooo unlucky.  If I fell into a barrel of t*ts I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

Chris

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thank you, I feel a little less unlucky now.

My dog cannot hide behind the 'separation anxiety' argument as I was in the house at the time...he just got to the door quicker than me (mind you, I was on the phone and he does have more legs than me).

To make matters worse, when I shouted at him he got all scared and did a wee on the carpet!  After I'd finished clearing that up I emailed the wife and told her what he'd done and she blamed me!

I am soooooo unlucky.  If I fell into a barrel of t*ts I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

Chris

:thumbup:

Social source share

Whoever bought my UK Columbia Jane Hillery "You've got that hold on me" has a perfect set of my first daughter Jessica's teethprints from when she was 1 year old (1990) I opened it, left it on the table, next thing I know she's crawling around with it in her mouth  :lol:

The same thing happened to my UK copy of the Rumblers. When I think about it I'm pretty sure my wife at the time allowed our two year old daughter to grab it as I don't think she was too happy about my record collecting. The record still played O.K.

Social source share

Gutted does not even come close...

Just recieved Jay Bee 'Praying For An Answer' from the USA.

Paid $450.

Was on the phone when the postman arrived.

Heard a commotion.

My 7 stone German Shepherd had a grip of the package in his jaws and was shaking it like a thing possessed.

His teeth have gone straight through the packaging, straight through the record.  The parts of the vinyl that haven't got holes in them are cracked with chunks missing.

It's b*ggered beyond belief.

It's the first 45 I have had from the USA since having the dog so there was no knock on the door to 'sign for' the pacakage.

Anyone else had a similar experience they want to share...just to make me feel less gutted?

Chris

Chris. Am gutted for you mate. At least it wasn't a good record :D . Apart from that hope your well :hatsoff2:

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I have , I left my dog for ten minutes while I answered the door and he went into my music room were two boxes of records lay on the floor . One was my playbox the other was my sales box , he picked my sales box and demolished a dozen or so records . My fault loved him to bits and would give all I own to have him back .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One night at a Coalville nighter many years ago and being less than normal I chomped  on a Golden World 45 (cant remember which one) thus cutting my mouth I also used to break pint glasses on my head (not at nighters)  at some stage in life I tried to grow up a little,all good fun

• Helpful 2
Social source share

if it's any consolation, the thick end of 30 years ago, my puppy ate a copy of Dee Dee Sharp on UK Action......

thankfully it was her baby teeth.......but it was still f@cked.....

still got the single............would make a good clock.....

Social source share

• 1 month later...

After weeks of trying to peice the record back together, failing miserably, giving up, starting again, failing miserably etc....

I have managed to put the record back together!  The only missing peices are from the run out so I have to keep my eye on it.

Yes I can hear the 'crack' but only on 1/3 of the record and it's not as bad as I'd have thought, and given that it was a death's door it actually plays through without jumping.

All I need to do now is find a way of glueing it from the flip side so that the peices don't just ping out again, though at present I'm a little stuck as to how to tackle this.

Semi-result with something salvaged from the jaws (literally) of adversity!

Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love that Jay Bee track...never had a dog eat one but I've never managed to get a super clean copy that plays well either! I still remember the first time I ever heard it (covered up) I thought it must be an acetate as it does seem to go on and on...with the musicians probably looking at each other wondering when to stop! :)

Social source share

Chris, glue it to another record, that should hold it together....use a slow setting araldite so you can play/reposition the record once glued if it isn't sit fully flat etc...

Pretty sure Nick Brown did this successfully to a copy of Ray Pollard (Shrine) that he found in 3 pieces on the floor at a nighter (poss TOTW Stafford?)

Oh, make sure you have a record centre passing through middle of both records whilst glueing so they are aligned!!!!

Regards

Mace

Edited by Mace
Social source share

One night at a Coalville nighter many years ago and being less than normal I chomped  on a Golden World 45 (cant remember which one) thus cutting my mouth I also used to break pint glasses on my head (not at nighters)  at some stage in life I tried to grow up a little,all good fun

Easy mistake mate - 'Golden World' / 'Golden Wonder'.........'Ric-Tics' / 'Tic-Tacs'..........I'll always find the buffet for you Gilly :D 

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - Cats rule! :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Chris, glue it to another record, that should hold it together....use a slow setting araldite so you can play/reposition the record once glued if it isn't sit fully flat etc...

Pretty sure Nick Brown did this successfully to a copy of Ray Pollard (Shrine) that he found in 3 pieces on the floor at a nighter (poss TOTW Stafford?)

Oh, make sure you have a record centre passing through middle of both records whilst glueing so they are aligned!!!!

Regards

Mace

Many thanks for the advice Mace.

I will have a go and see what happens.

Can I still buy a product called 'araldite'?  If not do you have any suggestions as to what other glues to use (or what to definitely avoid for fear of them attacking / eating the vinyl)?

Kind regards

Chris

Social source share

Araldite is still available and does not harm the vinyl (other than sticking to it)

Come in 2 tubes that you mix....don't buy the Rapid setting type though, cus the normal stuff gives you plenty of time to reposition if necessary...the rapid stuff goes off in 5 mins or so

Social source share

Araldite is still available and does not harm the vinyl (other than sticking to it)

Come in 2 tubes that you mix....don't buy the Rapid setting type though, cus the normal stuff gives you plenty of time to reposition if necessary...the rapid stuff goes off in 5 mins or so

Thank you Mace,

I shall seek out the fabled, restorative powers of the glue they call Araldite.

If it works 'hoorah', if not, well I'll be no worse off than I was a few weeks ago (except I'll have shelled out for the Araldite).

Now then...what record to stick it to?  Answers on a postcard please!

Chris

Social source share

Thought this thread was about Luis Suarez at first.

Bought Choker Campbell TMG 517...only a few short of set,

arrived in about 4 pieces...cost me quite a bit too....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!