Us Motown Discography With Pic Sleeves?

boba

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

thanks steve, you don't have to go through the trouble of pulling out the book, although it might be a decent last resort for me.

okeh would be much easier to do if the info is missing, as it's shorter and the sleeves are known. motown put out a bazillion singles, like how do i know which of the 20 high inergy singles had sleeves?

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Reg Bartlette's book has a section of all Pic Sleeve issues.

Steve

they aren't all listed in here though, and I have found this book quite wanting, I found I need another 10 I never knew of

Social source share

this is a great site...   https://motownjunkies.co.uk/     and also try... https://www.seabear.se/Front.php

thanks for posting. the first site was almost a joke, the motown discography went to 1965 and mowest had a single title (tom clay) and said "incomplete". really?

the seabear site is great but it doesn't list whether the singles had picture sleeves in their discography. There *was* a picture sleeve gallery but it was just a random selection. Like there wasn't a single Jackson 5 pic sleeve. Where do I go if I want to know which J5 singles had pic sleeves? The Bartlette book?

EDIT: i see Bartlette is incomplete. How incomplete is it?

Edited by boba
Social source share

they aren't all listed in here though, and I have found this book quite wanting, I found I need another 10 I never knew of

Always thought Reg's book (Off The Record Motown by master 1959 - 1989) was meant to be a bible for Motown stuff Barry? it's a fantastic reference guide. think it lists between 150 abd 200 Motown pic sleeve releases.

Steve

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Always thought Reg's book (Off The Record Motown by master 1959 - 1989) was meant to be a bible for Motown stuff Barry? it's a fantastic reference guide. think it lists between 150 abd 200 Motown pic sleeve releases.

Steve

that's what I thought steve, but over the years I have found numerous anomalies such as records not listed and pic sleeves too. but its quite old too and new discoveries as we get more knowledge and stuff comes to light. Sammy and sherrie m004 as a case in point there are 4 different label credit variations

Social source share

Guest Motown Junkies

thanks for posting. the first site was almost a joke, the motown discography went to 1965 and mowest had a single title (tom clay) and said "incomplete". really?

Nice.

It's taken me years to even get that far - I'm only up to the tail-end of 1965, so MoWest is six years off (as with all the labels, I had to set up a placeholder page for it so as not to break the site's structure - apparently that's not obvious?)

Anyway, thanks for the, um, "feedback", I guess.

Social source share

Nice.

It's taken me years to even get that far - I'm only up to the tail-end of 1965, so MoWest is six years off (as with all the labels, I had to set up a placeholder page for it so as not to break the site's structure - apparently that's not obvious?)

I appreciate your passion / love for the label and putting it online but it wasn't a good suggestion for me as a complete reference point for pic sleeves in the '70s and on which is what my response was based on. Good luck with your site.

Social source share

Boba, I have the Goldmine  book cited by Steve Plumb, I can't find it at the moment but I'm sure that all the J5 45's are on it, just like every Motown artist.

71R0KN2QRYL._.gif

thank you, I might invest in that book. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Social source share

Nice.

Great site mate, keep it going and take no heed to the "joke" comment think the guy was arrogant and ignorant to call it that.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Motown Junkies

No worries (though I'm really curious as to what you originally said now!) - I don't mind if people think it's shit, but I piped up because the "almost a joke" thing seemed kind of harsh in the circumstances (and the specific comment about MoWest seemed to indicate it wasn't clear the site was a work in progress, which I thought I'd best clarify).

I'm glad people can see I'm doing this out of love for the music - the pace has slowed down a bit, partly because of work and family and also because I've been given a Motown radio show (which, again, I hope shows my love of the music! I'm no great presenter but I try and pick a good selection of stuff. The thread with all the episode links, track listings etc is over in the Radio Audio Video section: )

Anyway, enough of me hijacking this thread. If I can bring it back on topic a moment, I think the reason you were pointed to my site is probably because it has images of all the pic sleeves on the individual reviews - Lars (LG) Nilsson, who runs the Seabear site, very kindly provided me with his entire archive of scanned label and sleeve images (including quite a lot he couldn't find room for on his own pages) and so they go up as and when I get to the single in question; if there was a picture sleeve, then up it goes with the new review. Probably useless for your research purposes (I can only echo the recommendation for the aforementioned Goldmine pic sleeve guide!), but I'm guessing that's why it was suggested.

Social source share

thanks steve, you don't have to go through the trouble of pulling out the book, although it might be a decent last resort for me.

okeh would be much easier to do if the info is missing, as it's shorter and the sleeves are known. motown put out a bazillion singles, like how do i know which of the 20 high inergy singles had sleeves?

According to Joel Whitburn Billboard top pop book none of them had picture sleeves.  This does not include the ones that did not make the charts.

Social source share

sorry, I didn't mean to be personally nasty to you, and I agree the "joke" thing was rude, the response was more of a reaction to it not being immediately helpful to my question and the mowest discography with one release in it. mowest is actually an interesting label to collect because there were a lot of releases and a lot of weird #s that never came out but for which test presses exist. I'm only missing a couple of numbers on the label.

i went through the seabear site and the pic sleeve page isn't very complete. the bartlette book is also incomplete actually (as already mentioned), although it strangely mentions that there's a jackson 5 pic sleeve for a single that was never released except in test press form, which is obviously wrong. I think I need to buy another book, the guide for pic sleeve collectors. Thanks for being reasonable and not flipping out at my rude comment.

BrianK, thanks for looking in the Whitburn book for me. I have a high inergy one sided promo 45 on colored vinyl that I think might have come with a PS.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!