Catacombs Capacity?

Unfortunately, I found Northern Soul the year after the Catacombs in Wolverhampton closed its doors.  Wish I`d gone but out of interest I wondered how many people could the club accommodate, was it always rammed, were folks turned away??

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

well,..there are plenty on here to go at, to get an answer to your question..sardine can...probably appropriate!..i can't actually remember weather the last all-nighter was a ticket event or not...either way the place was rammed so, maybe 300?...i could be out by a good way and i wouldn't have put it past something like 700 trying to squeeze in there ( hence sardines!! :rofl: ) somebody better placed than me, will give you a more accurate account. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

this place was small and an akward shape........bit like two corridors with a small dance floor at the end.....bet it,ll be no more than two hundred max

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

My time of going to the Catacombs was around 1970/71.

As per Agentsmith and GR above I would have said low hundreds. Certainly seemed to be rammed whenever I went there and definitely the first place I had been where the condensation dripped down from the ceiling. But likewise I don't remember particularly long queues or full houses. Perhaps I was just lucky!

Let's face it at that time it was a long long way from the mainstream music scene. I was aged 18/19 and new to Wolverhampton so I don't know what was going on in the schools and youth clubs - or what made people younger than me go there. I would love to hear from people who were that bit younger than me in those relatively early days of rare/"Northern" soul. What drew them to places like the Catacombs, how they were seen by the peers i.e. cool & edgy or WEIRD. :D

Back to numbers this web page says 5/600. If that is correct so be it - but it sounds on the high side to me.

https://raresoul.org.uk/hinckleysoulclub/catacombs.htm

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!