Can't See The Wood For The Trees

Guest Jamie

Got to be honest, this has been in my mind after reading someone's posts over a period of time.

And I have got only admiration for this guy, his knowledge is right up there.

However, can't help feeling that if you change from 'Dancer' to 'Collector' then your mind-set changes (This point probably not applicable; don't think this guy was/is a dancer).

I've got a few records now that used to make me as wet as an Otter's pocket (I'm a man :o ).

Now I've got them, maybe I'm a bit ambivalent towards them.

Do you feel you get this way when you have them? and do you now dismiss records you cherished and danced to simply because you own them?

Do you not get the same feeling? and do you forget what made you fall in love with them in the first place? Is it not RARE enough for you?

Hmmmm.... I wonder........

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's the thrill of the chase that holds a lot of the appeal. While ever the record is out of your reach you keep chasing but once you've found one the feeling of jubilation if thats the right word soon disappears and it becomes "just another record" sometimes. You then move on to the next on the list :P

Social source share

It's the thrill of the chase that holds a lot of the appeal.  While ever the record is out of your reach you keep chasing but once you've found one the feeling of jubilation if thats the right word soon disappears and it becomes "just another record" sometimes.  You then move on to the next on the list  :shades:

link

Bang right Chalky, exactly what I was on about.

I think it's just the nature of the beast. It's a shame though, I mean, records & sounds (irrespective of value) that I grew up with & now own are 'just another soul record'.

I hate it when that feeling goes.

To an extent, the point I was trying to get across is that we often overlook the quality and class of a record simply through ownership and familarity.

Shame that don't you think?

Social source share

Wow! sounds like Vinyl Addicts self help group!

How about this one then, (hopefully it will make you feel better)....

I have no vinyl whatsoever, nada. I love the little things, but i can't afford to start what would undoubtedly be the start of a downward spiral of addiction, even a £5 or £10 hit would i fear set me off.

However, on a lost Monday afternoon i was gazing at Aunty Fran's collection and found several records, that i had on CD (ouch!)....the tune Jackie Lee: P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y , probably not expensive/rare i don't know, but the shear joy of finding the tune in the real deal format did it for me, a lovely royal blue label and all... someone a 'soul jnr' in the room hadn't heard the tune before so a space was cleared, it got whacked right up to "volume 11" and...the smile on Aunty Fran's face - ear to ear! Pleasure in the giving and all that...

Perhaps that don't actually help at all...but a just can't stop verballing, didn't even go out last night :shades:

Social source share

Excellent idea for a topic, I had a similar conversation the other week with Mick H, he said the same, sometimes it's the hunting down the record and then getting it that's often the biggest thrill........ once in your collection it gathers dust until you decide to let it go, maybe trade it for another holy grail.

It is a bit of a collectors only topic this one, and you need to be a collector to understand. But then I thought Soul Source was a collectors website anyway....

John

Social source share

I don't think it's unique to record collecting.. you always want what you can't have/ the grass is always greener.. etc. I know what you mean - there's definitely some recordss that I've thought I was 'desperate' to get, that I've probably forgotten about now. Definitely a thrill to the chase and I get bored too quickly to stop looking for new things, BUT there's a sort of core of tunes I have that I never get bored of. It's a different sort of enjoyment to when that long sought after tune first comes through the letterbox - more of a long lasting relationship than a quick fling!! :shades:

Social source share

Personaly I no longer collect records due to the prices currently for any thing even remotely rare.

I know some will say that there are still excellent records to be had for reasonable sums but it is a joy to be free of the constant searching of my conscience as to whether I can justify buying a particular sound.

For me it was always the thrill of the chase and once bought the novelty quickly wore off which I have decided made me no better than an art " collector" who buys a painting and keeps it in a bank vault.

The joy of a soul night is now listening and dancing without worrying about the singer, label, price, availability and who`s got a copy.

It is a more innocent way of enjoying the music that we all love and takes me back to how it was when I first fell in love with this great way of life.

Social source share

I agree with everything said in this post, but has anyone considered the other side of the coin. What about them records that you bought completely by accident when you can't find or afford anything good in the sales boxes. :shades:

I find my self panic buying just because I dont want to leave the nighter empty handed.

I'll play the record the next morning and think, what is this pile of crap, sounded allright last night! maybe I wasn't thinking straight, for one reason or another!! :lol:

Anyway the record gets thrown to the back of the box with the other dubious tunes, only to be pulled out again a year or so later. I'll play the tune a couple of times and the penny finally drops, what a tune!! now it lives at the front of the box, and is played every day. I've done this a couple of times, my most recent was a copy of 'The Cruisers - Take a chance', I think I bought it at wilton well over a year ago, just can't stop playing it now. :lol:

Anyone else found any goodies like this?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!