Johnnie Taylor - Friday Night - White Demo ?

Eddyw

hi , I have been looking for a copy of this but on the white demo ,which even though its in mannies book , I have not  come across one for sale , or one thats been sold , the nearest I came to getting one was a white Canadian ( issue ) ? , the seller who had it up for sale as wlp , but it looked like a white issue, as it did not say demo or promo on it when it turned up ,  does this exist , does anyone have a scan of one , to put my mind at rest , Thanks Eddy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi , I have been looking for a copy of this but on the white demo ,which even though its in mannies book , I have not  come across one for sale , or one thats been sold , the nearest I came to getting one was a white Canadian ( issue ) ? , the seller who had it up for sale as wlp , but it looked like a white issue, as it did not say demo or promo on it when it turned up ,  does this exist , does anyone have a scan of one , to put my mind at rest , Thanks Eddy

One of my all time favourite artists.

There appears to be one here on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Johnnie-Taylor-Friday-Night-Steal-Away/138401788?ev=bp_rel_det

Ignore the image on the release page as this is generic.

The read the record description.

Best

Mick

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share

hi mick , thanks for spotting that , I did look on discogs , but never seen it , but which track could it be , Friday night or steal away , he doesn`t say which one ,there is plenty about with steal away both sides , but none with friday night on  , there maybe a  yellow dj copy ? , atb thanks Eddy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a test pressing of it, but don't think there will be a white demo, as it was a B side.

Aside from that, one thing I have just noticed is the matrix for the "Steal Away" label on its promotion and release says SM 00364.

The test press I have has "Steal Away" as SM 00360. The "Friday Night" matrix is unchanged - SM 00361 - making it the same as the printed labels for it's release.

I dont have a release so I can't check, but wondered if the "Steal Away" release also has the original SM 00360 matrix in the runout. This would them line up with it being the A side, and promoted as as such, and the demo / release SM 00364 would be a simple typing error.

Anyone got one to hand to check ?

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest six toe

I have a test pressing of it, but don't think there will be a white demo, as it was a B side.

Aside from that, one thing I have just noticed is the matrix for the "Steal Away" label on its promotion and release says SM 00364.

The test press I have has "Steal Away" as SM 00360. The "Friday Night" matrix is unchanged - SM 00361 - making it the same as the printed labels for it's release.

I dont have a release so I can't check, but wondered if the "Steal Away" release also has the original SM 00360 matrix in the runout. This would them line up with it being the A side, and promoted as as such, and the demo / release SM 00364 would be a simple typing error.

Anyone got one to hand to check ?

Cheers

Mick

Yellow Issue has the matrix SM-00364 on the Steal away side and SM - 00361 on the friday night side.

Edited by six toe
Social source share

hi mick , thanks for spotting that , I did look on discogs , but never seen it , but which track could it be , Friday night or steal away , he doesn`t say which one ,there is plenty about with steal away both sides , but none with friday night on  , there maybe a  yellow dj copy ? , atb thanks Eddy

You can always ask him to confirm.

Best

Mick

Social source share

thanks for the answers to this bit mystery , the Canadian white one I had I sold to mate in warrington . I know he still has it so there is no problem to getting it and checking it over, maybe putting up a scan of it , I wonder if the listing in the book is wrong , or maybe there is a yellow promo , Thanks Eddy

Social source share

post-7746-0-22035500-1398963216_thumb.jp

hi , I managed  to get my mate to send me a photo of the one I sold him , he also said that the run out number is

A, 0068a

B, 0068b

but on steal away label side  , there is 2 black stars either side of the   STAX 0068 ,

Thanks Eddy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!