Wilky

Guest manusf3a

Guest manusf3a

Wilky from Corby was a well known face on the scene during the seventies into the early eighties.A good pal of mine he moved to Bournemouth when quitting the scene where hes lived ever since only coming back to Corby now and again to visit.I havent seen him myself for some time now more or less lost touch.He was well known for having a stonking record collection that I used to enjoy playing an listening to when we would go back to his Mums after nighters or just chilling through the week with our other pal rug r.i.p bless.he was also one of the best chemist robbers ive known.Anyway I saw Ivan Miles at a nighter last week,hadnt seen him for yonks but was well pleased to meet up with him again as we were talking about not many of the firm left from then now sadly theyve passed on last one Keith Harpur with cancer down Norwich last year.Ivan told me that Wilky was pretty ill which obviously was very sad to hear and it was something to do with his liver.I really hope he pulls through as theres loads of people I know on the scene still hold respect and liking for the bloke,magic sense of humour used to have a brilliant laugh in the morning after nighters etc and at all other times,one off blokes he was one and that  definately.Talking to matchy last year he said Wilky had turned up at Blackpool weekender I think it was and had gone to spend a week at Matchies house before going back to Bournemouth and theyd had a brilliant time .as I said really wish the best for him and I know theres loads on the scene do the same.Im unlikely to ever again be doing a spot putitng on the original professionals or del larks and others of that ilk  like I used to be able to do round Wilkys as we would be sitting selecting choons to play(never djed in me life in public,never had the choons to do it or the nerve)as  a group of us ,me him,Mick Gavin and Rug both r.i.p, among others from time to time would chill out over a few green and clears along with some filon or whatever else we had to put in the mix.Great memories ,great times,Wilky imo could of been a top dj ,he did a few spots at local nighters and at st Ives oldies room a couple of times ,also Bedford night spot if I recall,anyway pull through and get well mate

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

A old photo Wilky and Louie (Neil Underwood)on the left late 70s

attachicon.gifwilkie 70s.jpg

Hello Tony, that's just how I remember Wilky seeing him at North Park etc. He was with Rug a lot as I recall. He dj'd at the rock if I remember correctly. Have you any photo's of Rug? Manus thought he had found one but It wasn't him. Kimbo

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Phooken hell, brilliant seeing those photos Wilky and Rug r.i.p bless him.Thanks To ya Tony.Photos of the two masters of the lean back ,really made my day seeing them.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest AndyL

Hi guys yes great nights with Rug and Wilky and yes you are right he did DJ at the Rock a few times. Never forget him playing soon everything is gonna be alright by Warren Shatz on Mayflower.

Great people great times

ATB

Andy

Social source share

My mate Mark ( Jonah ) Jones is in contact with him, I picked him up a few years back to take him to a do in Bmth where Soul Sam was djing, send me you tel number by pm and I will pass it on for you

Really pleased for you Manus mate hope you found him at Last. I'm gonna be in Corfe Castle next week if you need me to do anything you got my number Buddy. atb kimbo.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Rug Bowers and pals front row far right 1990 with Lou Ragland , at John Smiths house in Northamptonattachicon.gifrug bowers 1999.jpg

Thats back in the times when "Midnight Brew",meant more than just a late drink after lock up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I was away all weekend at my Dads eightieth birthday celebrations,got back last night and was happy to read this thread again the bloke was probably the most influential  to me regarding quality soul etc and I have yet to meet anyone as quick witted as himself and Rug r.i.p ,included on what was the old forum section all our yesterdays are numerous adventures from that time then,they say you cant live in the past ,completely true I agree but I still laugh very much to myself when recalling exploits from then.

My good mate Kimbo says of his record collection its like a diary of his life,what he was doing at a certain time,the big events,the people of whatever time the nighters that were on ,and of course all our private personal things we relate a choon to, how true and the music of the scene past present and in between whenever it was heard is just soulfully perfect,so much  more so than any other genre of music(to me anyway)even when away from the scene for many years thinking of choons would have a very powerful effect of evoking memories of folk .places.emotions etc.The era with Wilky and Rug,Gavin and others to me is the sound of The professionals,Mellvin carter,major Harris and certain sounds from the torch era up til then.Then being the start of the eighties when folk I was close with seemed to drop away from the scene for various reasons ,myself included.

I have been to some really good nights since"returning?",loved lifeline at the stables as I love Nuneaton ,its soul to me !.I still say as I have said to Kimbo and Mark among others,the best all dayers ever were at Wilkys mums house bless her,she was a really lovely lady,after a nighter somewhere,with as I said earlier brilliant sounds and superb people and humour that went beyond the bounds.,must hold the record for the smallest all dayer ever and there wasnt a dance floor and only one room wilkys,and one genre of music soul!!!!!!!!!!

The only all dayer I have seen that comes very close to the one back then is the one I have attended at Harpo and Sandis with Kimbo ,Mark and Gasa among others.((slightly bigger room than the earlier mentioned dayer but like that one total quality)

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

A old photo Wilky and Louie (Neil Underwood)on the left late 70s

attachicon.gifwilkie 70s.jpg

hi Tony I was looking again at that photo that I mistook for Rug its in the photos section on here under seventies albums second or third page titled Pat and Cat photos, as Kimbo said same hairstyle same jumper same profile and build ,someoneelse has stated it s actually Kev Roberts but it had me fooled see what you think

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Rug Bowers and pals front row far right 1990 with Lou Ragland , at John Smiths house in Northamptonattachicon.gifrug bowers 1999.jpg

Hi tony Kimbo was saying about the photo I found on here that I thought was Rug,its under photos seventies albums page two photos by Pat and Cat ,The first photo ,I thought that was Rug on the decks,as Kimbo said to me ,same haircut,same profile and build and of course a definate Rug style jumper and trousers,but some one else had stated it was actualy Kev Roberts,have a look and you may see why I thought it was our man r.i.p bless him wish he was here Rug.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Just had a look at the photo Manus and that's Kev Roberts D,Jing with Richard Searling seated ,same haircut and build as Rug was in them days so I can see why you thought it was him . I had a great photo which included Rug , Wilky and Mick Gavin in amongst a group of us that went to Yate allnighter in 1980 , ive looked everywhere but cant find it . pretty sure Ive other photos with Rug in so when I find any I will send you copies .

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Just had a look at the photo Manus and that's Kev Roberts D,Jing with Richard Searling seated ,same haircut and build as Rug was in them days so I can see why you thought it was him . I had a great photo which included Rug , Wilky and Mick Gavin in amongst a group of us that went to Yate allnighter in 1980 , ive looked everywhere but cant find it . pretty sure Ive other photos with Rug in so when I find any I will send you copies .

I reckon it was the jumper and haircut put me on the wrong track(and the same cut of trews like the ones he used to wear that Kimbo made for him in exchange for choons)(mind you I now have prescription reading glasses that I didnt have then got so last year  I had to ask mates to read what was on record labels artist choon etc when out and about and looking through peoples boxes.!)Do you remember when Rug used an elastic band to keep the sole of his solatio from flapping,also the fag packet down the sock biz,we had a complete made up language Wilky ,Rug me self and later Mick Gavin with all sorts of words made up.I would really love to see some photos of Gavin,what a bloke another of those giant personalitiys on the scene then r,i,p bless him.I didnt get to his funeral as I was off the scene years by then and living away from Corby and it was thanks to Kimbo that I found out exactly where he was buried and got to go and say goodbye there,something I had wanted to do for ages as I had been over to the cemetery before and couldnt find the grave as its a massive place as you will know,the one not far from Gavins mums house.1980 I was unavoidably detained for chemists along with Keith Harpur another one r.i.p so missed out on what was happening then.When I got out later 1980,81 Wilky had gone to live in Bournemouth and although I went to a few more nighters packed it in as I thought they had gone downhill a lot.Still saw Gav from time to time and remember Rug and Karen having the market stall in Welly.I wrote an account of one of the funniest journeys back from a nighter in someones car after a cleethorpes with Wilky and Rug on what used to be the all our yesterdays section of the forums on this site,now merged with this all about the soul forum,along with severel more tales of their exploits back then.Rug would also hold impromptu raffles on the coach back from st Ives among other things with some very strange prizes being awarded to gobsmacked looking people with large eyes wondering what the f was going on.

I was talking to Danny and Terry at lifeline a few months back about Gav,both of them are in the Yate photo I would wager,as you know in a way Gav never was the sort of bloke you could imagine getting old, he was about forty when he died and no doubt still looked smart and up for it as he always did ,the bloke was a true dyed in the wool blocker who loved being out of it and on the scene.He never seemed to look any different through the years .Great stuff with the photos and the chat about the people I feel were the biggest influence on me still are even though I went down the academic route in me thirties still like to think I have retained that core crazy streak as have others,Ivan still has it,when I saw him at a nighter recently he was just as into it and loving the whole thing as he did then.

By the way the name Rug gave to his flapping solatio was !Thlad mead!,he would remove the elastic band and hold conversations as he made the sole of the shoe flap in the way a ventriloquist would,much to he astonishment of whatever blocked up soulies who were within hearing distance,then also him and Wilky would have mock arguements that were so intense people around used to think they were real ha ha.Long live the memory of the members of the Key stalker tri ma rang club,as it was known,password Vunderbar!blockers at large sub humans beware.!!!! or so it would be said?

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Think the crew that went to Yate that night was Wilky ,Terry Rider ,Mick(Gav) Gavin (R.I.P) ,Rug (R.I.P) ,Mick Godfrey(Corby),Gaz Gepp( R.I.P) myself and a couple of others I cant recall , we also had a guy from Rushden called Twig , driving the minibus , you can imagine the antics on that Journey . It was around that time that Rug and Wilky both sold there collections to fund a record buying Trip to the States .
Pretty sure John Manship gave them some places to hit around the Philadelphia area as he was a good mate of them both , the original plan was for Louie (Neal Underwood) to go with them but he dropped out and Steve (Kitty) Wells went instead .
Shortly after they returned both Rug and Wilky left the scene .Remember going to Rugs house in Higham just before there trip to the States and buying Don Varner - Tearstained face from Wilky for 70quid and a Ty karim - Lighten up baby - Caramel for £15 .

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Think the crew that went to Yate that night was Wilky ,Terry Rider ,Mick(Gav) Gavin (R.I.P) ,Rug (R.I.P) ,Mick Godfrey(Corby),Gaz Gepp( R.I.P) myself and a couple of others I cant recall , we also had a guy from Rushden called Twig , driving the minibus , you can imagine the antics on that Journey . It was around that time that Rug and Wilky both sold there collections to fund a record buying Trip to the States .

Pretty sure John Manship gave them some places to hit around the Philadelphia area as he was a good mate of them both , the original plan was for Louie (Neal Underwood) to go with them but he dropped out and Steve (Kitty) Wells went instead .

Shortly after they returned both Rug and Wilky left the scene .Remember going to Rugs house in Higham just before there trip to the States and buying Don Varner - Tearstained face from Wilky for 70quid and a Ty karim - Lighten up baby - Caramel for £15 .

One things for sure there was never any such thing as a come down in the morning with that lot, by the time you got back later in the day or at night the only problem would be aching sides from laughing so much.Jonnny Manship used to put in an appearence at Wilkys mum s r.i.p lovely lady, now and again and she knew him and others such as Soul Sam ,Brian Rae ,Tony Deller etc  on a friendly basis and would make them a cuppa and have a little chat with them when they turned up at the house.As I said to start the thread the only other place ive been back to after a nighter that comes anywhere near  the quality of Wilkys mums for people and soulfullness is Harpo and Sandis in Woverhampton when Ive been there with Kimbo and Mark.Ty Karim ey,I remember him getting that,always one of my favourites then as it was many others.What happened to the professionals who got that ?also Rugs Del Larks with the crack that still played spot on.There were loads of goodies between the two of them ,I thought Wilky kept some back?might be mistaken though.Remember Mick Godfrey coming on the scene later seventies,good l;ad always smartly dressed,he lived near me in the mid eighties when I was living with an ex in Rothwell.All those r.i.ps mate,and many others as well not mentioned ,theyre the folk who make our memories as rich as what they are,even when off the scene for many years theyre still there in your thoughts ,well in mine anyway thats for certain.Terry Rider was on about a book with contributions from various people to tell the story of the scene in a way that hasnt really been done yet about the antics,law breaking,the faces etc as well as the music and the venues I for one would sure like to see it,just look at Northants on its own then multiply that by the other parts of the country and their crews  and faces,book? it  would be more like an encyclopedia and it  is still going on,and thank the Lord that it is!!!!!!!.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Was over at Louies house on Sunday and he told me of the time in the late 70s when Wilky was labouring for him and Kenny waller there  both Brickies , he was constantly laughing and messing about they hardly got any work done , on one occasion he chained the site foremans  car bumper to a post and when the guy drove off he was minus the bumper and Wilky was pissing himself laughing hiding behind a wall . another time a Chippy was sitting on Pallet having is Lunch and Wilky drove a forklift up behind him lifted the pallet up to about 12ft and just walked away leaving the guy stranded in mid air with his flask and sandwichs.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Was over at Louies house on Sunday and he told me of the time in the late 70s when Wilky was labouring for him and Kenny waller there  both Brickies , he was constantly laughing and messing about they hardly got any work done , on one occasion he chained the site foremans  car bumper to a post and when the guy drove off he was minus the bumper and Wilky was pissing himself laughing hiding behind a wall . another time a Chippy was sitting on Pallet having is Lunch and Wilky drove a forklift up behind him lifted the pallet up to about 12ft and just walked away leaving the guy stranded in mid air with his flask and sandwichs.

My Dads mate who is a brickie had Wilky with him when he doing his apprenticeship,during tea break Wilky he said would go round and pull out plumbing that had just been installed,leave taps running to cause floods,knock down walls other gangs had built,push their work out of plumb,,pinch dumpers and fork lifts to move things with,people included as you stated ,go into the hut when no one was there and put sand in sandwiches etc,unmentionable what went into peoples flasks.When working my Dads mate said he would f;ick compo onto peoples backs and throw things of the scaffold,continually kicking sand about and messing around laughing and joking he would play havoc with whatever brickies labourer had to do his fetching for him,he said they tried loads of times to sack him but as you know its near impossible to sack an apprentice so he just carried on regardless.Just as when I read your bit about the car and the forklift when being told of Wilkys exploits on site by my Dads mate I had to really control myself from laughing out loud at the mental picture the account was provoking in me while all the time my Dads mates voice was churchminister like serious, laden with solemn tones and the overhanging sgadow that seemed to be saying ,oh my how terrible,how could anyone behave like that ha ha A big favourite with him and Rug was swo[ping and pulling down for sale signs round higham ,rushden and removing gates from hinges.I will have to have a look and see where it is to let you know what thread I wrote about the exploits coming back from cleethorpes with him and Rug is under.    

Got to add when I read abut the chained car and the fork lift I couldnt stop laughing about it ,it was as if I was watching a you tube clip it was so easy to visualise as it was the sort of thing that just came naturaly  to him.It brought to mind a Wilky and Rug master class in humour that I nremeber when we all spent the night at Lenny from Corbys bedsit in Northampton after going to a soul night at somewhere near the lumber tubs,Me Wilky,Rug,Lenny,Mick Gav ,Karen,Monica and a mate of Lennys foolish enough to try to take the piss out of Rug who ended up on the verge of insanity due to that foolish act,will write it up later on another thread,open a new thread I mean,sure Kimbo and co will enjoy reading.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

One things for sure there was never any such thing as a come down in the morning with that lot, by the time you got back later in the day or at night the only problem would be aching sides from laughing so much.Jonnny Manship used to put in an appearence at Wilkys mum s r.i.p lovely lady, now and again and she knew him and others such as Soul Sam ,Brian Rae ,Tony Deller etc  on a friendly basis and would make them a cuppa and have a little chat with them when they turned up at the house.As I said to start the thread the only other place ive been back to after a nighter that comes anywhere near  the quality of Wilkys mums for people and soulfullness is Harpo and Sandis in Woverhampton when Ive been there with Kimbo and Mark.Ty Karim ey,I remember him getting that,always one of my favourites then as it was many others.What happened to the professionals who got that ?also Rugs Del Larks with the crack that still played spot on.There were loads of goodies between the two of them ,I thought Wilky kept some back?might be mistaken though.Remember Mick Godfrey coming on the scene later seventies,good l;ad always smartly dressed,he lived near me in the mid eighties when I was living with an ex in Rothwell.All those r.i.ps mate,and many others as well not mentioned ,theyre the folk who make our memories as rich as what they are,even when off the scene for many years theyre still there in your thoughts ,well in mine anyway thats for certain.Terry Rider was on about a book with contributions from various people to tell the story of the scene in a way that hasnt really been done yet about the antics,law breaking,the faces etc as well as the music and the venues I for one would sure like to see it,just look at Northants on its own then multiply that by the other parts of the country and their crews  and faces,book? it  would be more like an encyclopedia and it  is still going on,and thank the Lord that it is!!!!!!!.

Wilkys Proffesionals went to Louie who later sold it to me for £18 ,not sure if he kept any of his other records Rugs favourite artist was Linda Jones and he had all her releases and never sold them and did keep a few things like George Blackwell and all the other Smoke releases , made me smile when in recent years folk on here were raving over Keith Curtis on Smoke as though it was a new discovery when Rug had it in the70s and he also had a montclairs - hey you don't fight it  at the same time so they were pretty well known in Northants .  as far as I know Mick Godfrey still lives in Rothwell

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Wilkys Proffesionals went to Louie who later sold it to me for £18 ,not sure if he kept any of his other records Rugs favourite artist was Linda Jones and he had all her releases and never sold them and did keep a few things like George Blackwell and all the other Smoke releases , made me smile when in recent years folk on here were raving over Keith Curtis on Smoke as though it was a new discovery when Rug had it in the70s and he also had a montclairs - hey you don't fight it  at the same time so they were pretty well known in Northants .  as far as I know Mick Godfrey still lives in Rothwell

I can see why he kept the George Blackwell!I never ever knew Rug to lose his head,so guess he kind of should of kept it,even in full flow zany ness he was in control.Bloody hell a whole 18quid for the professionals as well as a massive 15quid for lighten up baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after all these years dont you with hindsight feel"You wuz robbed",ha ha ha.I think youre right about Mick still living in Rothwell!.he was round the corner from me ex in laws .

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickw

Hi Manus, hope someone from that area either knows him or can tell you the best place to put the feelers out to find your old buddy. atb Kimbo

Hi Kimbo, it's Nick from the record shop in Swanage.  My mate Frankie is in touch with Mick Murphy and will run those names by him for you. He is doing a night with him next month, I think Buckingham. Cheers mate

Social source share

Hi Kimbo, it's Nick from the record shop in Swanage.  My mate Frankie is in touch with Mick Murphy and will run those names by him for you. He is doing a night with him next month, I think Buckingham. Cheers mate

Cheers mate, thanks for passing on the info. atb Kimbo.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!