Billy Woods For Sale

snooky

Auction: RSV-565  Ends: 30/05/2014 14:00
Artist:  WOODS, BILLY
Title:  Let Me Make You Happy
Label:  Sussex 213
Condition: VG+
First time ever on our list for this one! The copy is cracked in two places but has only been on eBay once fetching ten times this starting price. You may not get another opportunity to buy it so check the sound bite — it does play!

On Anglo American site.... https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/auctions/#565

what will this fetch...

Social source share

Noticed that. Interesting as I have a copy as well that is cracked. Had it years. Bought a Sevens copy to try to preserve my proper one. Keen to see the eventual price.

Also JM had a copy which was going to go for auction, not sure when, THAT was cracked as well.

Edited by Steve Foran
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A TOP OXFORD DJ/FRIEND OF MINE HAS AN ISSUE - WHAT  A BEAUTY

they're all issues mark

Social source share

Auction: RSV-565 Ends: 30/05/2014 14:00

Artist: WOODS, BILLY

Title: Let Me Make You Happy

Label: Sussex 213

Condition: VG+

First time ever on our list for this one! The copy is cracked in two places but has only been on eBay once fetching ten times this starting price. You may not get another opportunity to buy it so check the sound bite — it does play!

On Anglo American site.... https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/auctions/#565

what will this fetch...

Hopefully more than the £800 Tim paid me for it lol. I think this was my copy which I sold to him in 1991. I got it from the same guy who sold me JD Bryant on Shrine in 1981. Two very worthwhile purchases. Good luck to Anglo with the sale.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

they're all issues mark

I don't think they are. I seem to recall mine was a demo, and there is one on Popsike at the moment with 'not for sale' on the label which kind of confirms my initial thought.

Edited to add;

Sorry, just checked - though the image is there the auction was some while ago on Popsike.

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

It's a cracker... As Steve G says, surely it has been played to death? Mind you, Stevie G has been known to slip up...  A good record and one any discerning collector would like to own, but 40 years down the road, surely it rests towards the back of the box with Kenny Smith, Black Nasty and Lloyd Michaels. One to pass over if cracked and probably not worth the book price if mint?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree, as a regular critic of the overplayed oldies scene this doesn't come into that category in my experience

Maybe I've been listening to 1 or 2 DJs with it too much, but they always seem to play it.....

It still amazes me how rare this is. You'd have thought that being on Sussex it would have been nationally promoted. I wonder where the other 490 copies went.....?

Ian D :)

there is a story there - Mr Anderson will tell you if you ask, how the label didn't put it out at all, and the copies came from an engineer. John remembers the engineer hadn't been paid and got these Billy Woods records that he sold to John who remembers travelling down to Philly on the bus with the copies he'd just bought in his holdall.....that's where most of the copies that have surfaced came from.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Horses for courses, opinions and all that but I've never liked the record.

Much prefer both the uptempo and deep sides on his two Verve 45s 

Social source share

Maybe I've been listening to 1 or 2 DJs with it too much, but they always seem to play it.....

there is a story there - Mr Anderson will tell you if you ask, how the label didn't put it out at all, and the copies came from an engineer. John remembers the engineer hadn't been paid and got these Billy Woods records that he sold to John who remembers travelling down to Philly on the bus with the copies he'd just bought in his holdall.....that's where most of the copies that have surfaced came from.

Yep, I heard that story and it makes sense because hardly any other copies have shown up from anywhere else since. Even Clarence Avant who ran Sussex couldn't remember the record.......

Ian D  :D

Social source share

It's got a certain charm to it for sure, but a Van McCoy "rushed" B side......there's not even a full set of lyrics....la la la la la.....da da da n da da etc....

I do agree with you Steve - it's not a work of genius - but to put it in context - just think if it turned up now in these limited quantities, it wouldn't be considered so shabby. And don't forget when it was played circa '75 it was alongside the likes of Mel Britt, Anderson Brothers, Josie Jo Armstead, Bobby Hutton, Candi Staton etc etc- oh for another year like that eh?

It also puzzles me how it is considered overplayed - it is surely one of the rarest of the rare and if you don't go to a night were the 'so called' dreaded 500 are played on pressings and re-issues - where are you going to hear it ? - surely not at the OVO and/or 'cutting edge' venues?   The last time I remember hearing it Searling played over ten years ago at the Orwell.

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

I do agree with you Steve - it's not a work of genius - but to put it in context - just think if it turned up now in these limited quantities, it wouldn't be considered so shabby. And don't forget when it was played circa '75 it was alongside the likes of Mel Britt, Anderson Brothers, Josie Jo Armstead, Bobby Hutton, Candi Staton etc etc- oh for another year like that eh?

It also puzzles me how it is considered overplayed - it is surely one of the rarest of the rare and if you don't go to a night were the 'so called' dreaded 500 are played on pressings and re-issues - where are you going to hear it ? - surely not at the OVO and/or 'cutting edge' venues?   The last time I remember hearing it Searling played over ten years ago at the Orwell.

Not so much overplayed but played-out, had its day, overtaken by better sounds. Some lucky fella, not sure who, won a copy at auction that had been listed as a bootleg but was snaffled under the radar as it was the multicoloured issue. Still hanging onto the white boot in vain and pretty sure I will never find an original - for sure a good sound, and big at Wigan, but who needs cracked records?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i echo pete's sentiments about this record, huge in it's day and from a  midlander's point of view, vigorously championed by PEP, a dj who amongst all his varied attributes, had a discerning ear for soulful tunes. yes, it appeared amongst a plethora of fine tunes, all surfacing, fortunately for us, at the same time/same era. indescribably rare, it dosn't deserve to be mocked as are the afflicted, the fact that so few of the big guns do not possess this record or simply haven't thought of the possiblities of a revival, is the only reason that it is not massive all over again. i would, however, hasten to add that the undeniable audible clicks from the auction item, really do not enthrall..i'm pretty much sure that even the undoubted wizardry of technician, OZZ, couldn't mask the obvious...say, at the king's..probably the only nice thing it could possibly be is to look at, to admire...for several hundred pounds?......

Social source share

I still think it's a great record, as you would expect from Van 

McCoy. It's very rare and it was played when many great tunes were on the scene. To me it beats some of that 100mph and pop dross which was around.

Social source share

Didn't JA leave some behind took as many as he could get on one finger or hold in one hand or something along those lines, was a while since he told the story and we'd had a few as well.

Social source share

Didn't JA leave some behind took as many as he could get on one finger or hold in one hand or something along those lines, was a while since he told the story and we'd had a few as well.

Yes Chalky…..the engineer had a box full….but at the time it was next to a new release (except it wasn't) and there was no demand…..

Social source share

I heard that story too.  But also that he didn't take all the copies that were there!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Dont like it, never have..was always puzzled as to why others thought so much of it....

Russ

It's a very uplifting lyric, happy song, sounded great loud as well.  Like a lot of records, I think playing it via a loud sound system helps, if you hear it one of my Wigan tapes, the clapping on the intro is magic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!