The Last Spot Of The Night

We were talking the other day about the last spot , you never see a playlist for one ( or am i wrong ) and in

most cases its " Just keep the buggers on the dance floor " , If I am on at or near the end of the night , its usually

what records i can still see  ( after a few sherbets ) , so besides the " three before eight " , so any ideas ?

Social source share

It all depends whether it's a soul night or an all nighter.

When I first started promoting I did a soul night and I always did the last hour. It was brilliant, we didn't get many in, but everyone who was there was on the dance floor. Everyone had had a drink, were well up for it, and didn't want it to end.

On the other hand once we changed to a nighter it was totally different. You will be very lucky if there are many people still there for the last hour, and most of the stuff you planned on playing will have been played earlier in the night.

Social source share

ive done many last hours at niters over the last few years ...

absolutely love the challenge of trying to fill the floor at this time

you have the hard core niter fans there and its a great thrill when people are there at the death....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

one place bin rocking  at 4 til 5 til 6..........as a matter of course.............3 til 6   most important part of the night

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It all depends whether it's a soul night or an all nighter.

When I first started promoting I did a soul night and I always did the last hour. It was brilliant, we didn't get many in, but everyone who was there was on the dance floor. Everyone had had a drink, were well up for it, and didn't want it to end.

On the other hand once we changed to a nighter it was totally different. You will be very lucky if there are many people still there for the last hour, and most of the stuff you planned on playing will have been played earlier in the night.

I agree Phil, last spot is great at a soul night, usually it's mainly the regulars at the end and a more relaxed party atmosphere, generally play what you like and everyone dances without inhibition.

Social source share

Assuming its a 2am or later finish only the hard core usually stay until the very end; they love to dance and leave absolutely knackered and sweaty so often prefer mid to up tempo tunes, handbag numbers (Bob Sinclair - tribute) could get em out of the venue before the night has properly ended.

If they haven't been played already what about Wally Cox - this man, Johnny Moore - Walk like a man or Bobby Paris - night owl, always seem popular with the hard core dancers.

Whatever you decide to spin someone is bound to moan but its not personal. At Keele recently I remember Lee Andrews - I've had it and that's what I call an ending (might av been Wiganer1 behind the decks) !

Good luck.

KTF

Social source share

The last spot has always and always will be one of the most important, not that the other spots aren't it's just that the last spot is moreso.
Reason being, that last DJ has to send the punters away with tunes still ringing in their heads, and those are the tunes that they will remember most, and hopefully tell their mates and they will come next time too.
It is also one of the most difficult spots, as being the last on, you have to have listened what has been played for at least the last 2 hours and try not to play them again.
A good DJ will always carry a lot more records than he/she needs to be able to combat and compensate for the tunes that he/she might have had planned in their set should they have already been played. One of the reasons, that many promoters will but the headliner or someone he can trust on for the last set.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

ive done many last hours at niters over the last few years ...

absolutely love the challenge of trying to fill the floor at this time

you have the hard core niter fans there and its a great thrill when people are there at the death....

..yep keeps ya on your toes..to play summat that hasn't been played, whilst keeping a floor interest

Social source share

The last hour at the 100 Club is unique, dont think it was ever intentional on Adey's part, as I cant see him being that organised lol, but its become a very special part of the night, especially to the regulars & hard core who dont do 'half a nighter'...it sends you home uplifted & with a smile on ya face, not wanting it to end & knowing you have been to probably the best Nighter of its kind in the world...

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

We were talking the other day about the last spot , you never see a playlist for one ( or am i wrong ) and in

most cases its " Just keep the buggers on the dance floor " , If I am on at or near the end of the night , its usually

what records i can still see  ( after a few sherbets ) , so besides the " three before eight " , so any ideas ?

If you look in playlists under Hitsville weekender for 2013 you'll find my last spot (5-6am) playlist.

Cheers

Julian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!