Any Opinions On This 45

Pete S

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've a scan/photo somewhere of the "original" one, dunno where will try and find it.  Wouldn't haver thought it would have Gladys Knight on the flip either.  The writing looks like stick on labels.  Dodgy looking to me.

link

I've got it here - it's in Simon Soussan's price guide (thats a rarity in itself) master number CCMN-0979-NHDD whatever that means dated 4/22/66.

I've had a few of these over the years and I've never had one with a different artist on the flip.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The writing looks like stick on labels.  Dodgy looking to me.

link

Exactly what i thought!!!! well dodgy looking

John

Social source share

Some years ago there was a set of about 6 or 7 white label pressings done each had a previously unreleased track on each side, I'm sure this is one with some stickers stuck on. I sold a near complete set on ebay some months ago all that was missing was the Suspicion one as these had all gone.

Social source share

I mean the one on e-bay says "The Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me". Motown I thought usually just put the working title and no artist details.

link

I was referring to the blank pressings mate.

Some of the acetates do have artists names on, most don't, the Originals one doesn't.

I had an awesome unissued Motown acetate, I think I sold it to Stuart Tyler, turns out it was by Hattie Littles, can't even remember what it was called now but that was just one sided and had the music publisher and title only. Also had the original acetate of the fast version of Midnight Johnny, again, title and publisher only. However those were publishers acetates, the actual studio acetates have a bit more info on them usually.

Social source share

It gets a bit confusing because quite a few appeared over the years and there was even an LP with 10 tracks on, handwritten insert, just like a 'rock' bootleg.

link

Rob Marriott was behind/involved the 10 track lp's. I have one here. There was going to be a 2nd lp but Rob left he scene and never came about. The lp's were sold for £30 if I remember rightly about 300 done, all went very quickly.

Social source share

It's definately a boot from the early 90s. Remember getting one for a tenner, there was plenty of them about.

The 10 track LP is called "The Hitsville Masters" and was pressed about the same time. It has 9 unissued plus Eddie Holland's "Outside looking in". Mines # 85 from a 500 run.

Tomo

Social source share

manships guide says the artist was never credited on genuine 7" acetates

its the modern 90s boot with home made labels in my opinion

the flip proves this - not related to the origional sound other than both motown tracks

i may be wrong but i sold a copy on the boot label of this on the bay for 25 quid.

anglo has this in stock according to the togetherness or manifesto mag , think its "reissued" on stardust not that it was ever truely issued on motown

Social source share

I'm 99.9% certain this is one of the pressings done by Anglo American. There was only 100 of each done and as far as I know they have all gone. We put one of the last full sets up on e-bay and it only fetched summat like £60, worked out a tenner each, bargain judging by the price of boots these days. The person who boughjt it does contribute to this site :shades: Although I'm not 100% if he got a full set.

The remaining sets weren't complete as all the Suspicion ones had gone before the rest.

There was the one sided boot from the 80's, again white label and also the other boot which was the Detroit Prophets, the speeded up version.

Social source share

I'm 99.9% certain this is one of the pressings done by Anglo American. There was only 100 of each done and as far as I know they have all gone.  We put one of the last full sets up on e-bay and it only fetched summat like £60, worked out a tenner each, bargain judging by the price of boots these days.  The person who boughjt it does contribute to this site  :lol:   Although I'm not 100% if he got a full set.

The remaining sets weren't complete as all the Suspicion ones had gone before the rest.

There was the one sided boot from the 80's, again white label and also the other boot which was the Detroit Prophets, the speeded up version.

link

That was Chalky BTW who posted that :shades:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

The guy says in his text - " a very very limited release around the days of the Stafford all-niter."

So its got to be a boot of some sort. I remember the Marriot LP, in fact I sold one on the 'bay for £75 a couple of months ago! Anyone seen him lately??

Social source share

manships guide says the artist was never credited on genuine 7" acetates

That is totally untrue - I've got scans here of at least 30 with artists names on them, session dates, take number etc - he's wrong

link

Is his new one out yet ?

still working off his first one and that old excel database that was for sale in year dot

no problems sellling stuff :shades:

theres a old motown 90s acetate article in site somewhere, bu bit deeper as goes on about numbering system and so on, rather than labelling but may be worth a look if not seen b4

On motown acetates whats the score on all these recent ones flying around last few weeks

anyone gotta listing - pass em on and will get a few clips up

Pete

as now looking at bumping up content on here and providing worthy refences

if could zip (or individuaL) them scans up and email me them , could be on site in mins with batch uploading and be handy reference/info

fav motown unissued?

not main floor material but had peasure of hearing accapelo version of "crying time " once which was awesome

Social source share

Pete

as now looking at bumping up content on here and providing worthy refences

if could zip (or individuaL) them scans up and email me them , could be on site in mins with batch uploading and be handy reference/info

I could do you loads mate but something weird is going on, I have tried to install 3 different scanners onto 2 different pc's and none will work, keeps coming up with 'scanner is already in use' even though it isn't. I had epson on the phone for 40 minutes trying to solve the problem, even they couldn't do it. So basically I haven't got a scanner at the moment. I'm running win98 still on both, but the scanners have worked before, and I don't like xp so I don't know. UNless you want me to lend you the original sources so you can scan them yourself.

fav motown unissued?

Suspicion - fast version..

Social source share

Hi Pete,

This, I believe, was part of a reissue batch which came out in 1989, around the same time as the first Chris Clark "Do I Love You" pressings.

What I remember about these was, unlike their predecessors, these pressings played at the right speed! The sound quality was much clearer as well.

Hope this helps mate.

Gene

Social source share

Hi Pete,

This, I believe, was part of a reissue batch which came out in 1989, around the same time as the first Chris Clark "Do I Love You" pressings.

What I remember about these was, unlike their predecessors, these pressings played at the right speed!  The sound quality was much clearer as well.

Hope this helps mate.

Gene

link

Nice Maxine Brown issue there mate, not seen that before, only demos

Pete

Social source share

Hi Pete,

What I remember about these was, unlike their predecessors, these pressings played at the right speed!  The sound quality was much clearer as well.

Hope this helps mate.

Gene

link

They were done two or three years later by Anglo American Gene.

Can remember Chris Clark tho'....think it was first spun at Keele when Neil & Jackie Clowes ran it, would be about the time you said Gene, maybe touch later.

Social source share

On motown acetates whats the score on all these recent ones flying around last few weeks

anyone gotta listing - pass em on and will get a few clips up

Pete

Anything to do with all the unreleased stuff coming out on cd's early next year?

Listened to a fair number of those last night at hemsby.

Gaye

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I was referring to the blank pressings mate.

Some of the acetates do have artists names on, most don't, the Originals one doesn't.

I had an awesome unissued Motown acetate, I think I sold it to Stuart Tyler, turns out it was by Hattie Littles, can't even remember what it was called now but that was just one sided and had the music publisher and title only.  Also had the original acetate of the fast version of Midnight Johnny, again, title and publisher only.  However those were publishers acetates, the actual studio acetates have a bit more info on them usually.

link

Its called Love, Happiness, Misery and Pain. Still one of my favourite discs. Alan Hanscombe was telling me the other week that he has been working with Jo Wallace at a record company and they have the track from the studio master tape, so maybe it'll come out on CD? For those of you who have one it was on the second (?) Capitol Soul Club anniversary tape.

Social source share

Its called Love, Happiness, Misery and Pain. Still one of my favourite discs.

Thats the one mate. That was tremendous wasn't it. By the way I've got some money nbow so if you could let me have that, Liz lands, Monique, sam Williams and Prince Buster 'jet 707' back I'd be grateful, thanks for looking after them for me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Any ideas on the gladys Knight track??

I think I am right in saying Butch has the only copy of Its too late, that he lent Dave Thorley to play. Could this be the 'b' side track?? it would be from about the same time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!