Maria Willingham At Solid Hit Soul Only 18th August

We are pleased to announce that our special guest for the next Solid Hit Soul on Friday 18th August will be Maria Willingham, carrying on the good work from husband & recently retired Djing legend Carl, with rarities & floorfillers. As always we continue to bring you some of the best guest DJs from outside London!

If you missed our last night with guest Des Parker, you missed things like Mellow Souls, Ray Agee, Magnificent Detroits etc etc Awesome !! Make sure you don’t miss another great night with Maria :thumbsup:

Solid Hit Soul, upstairs @ Oneils 73/77 Euston Road London N1, 3 minutes King's Cross and Euston, tubes & buses galore

8.00pm until 1.00am. £5.00 on the door with the regulars Stuart Tyler , Martin Thomson, Gene Robertson and Dave Greenhill bringing you the best in 100% Sixties Northern on original vinyl only

Dave G 0797 1876661

Edited by Dave G
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've just come off the phone from Maria and Carl - they are really looking forward to this and as an extra super special treat, Carl is compiling a special CD compilation of unknown and semi-known 60's northern soul 45s and this will be available free of charge to a limited number on the door on a first come - first served basis. This is going to include some heavyweight rarities and some unreleased acetates and is sure to be a very exciting example of the cutting edge of 60's northern soul :shades:

Lest there be any confusion about the music policy at Solid Hit Soul, sure we try and play a fresher than your average selection of tunes but we also play plenty of well known classics as well so you can expect to be forced to suffer the likes of Mel Britt, Gene Toones, Lenny Curtis, Lost Souls, Don and Ron, David and Ruben, Mar-J's, Fascinators, Blue Jays, Karmello Brooks, William Cummings, Curtis Liggins, Ronnie McNeir, Martha Starr et al alongside the lesser heard and forgotten monsters. Tunes are selected for their floor melting capability, not for their chin stroking qualities or collectors point scoring potential and the forgotten and lesser knowns will include tunes costing a fiver upwards.... :shades:

Hope you will come and support us.

Martin

Edited by martint
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite some rumours doing the rounds I want to make it clear that our guest DJ will not be appearing at any other events on the 18th, despite the best efforts of rival promoters to undermine our night by trying to get them to play at theirs afterwords! I'll be putting up a track listing of the free CD in due course, and the only place you'll get to here these sounds in London on August 18th will be at Solid Hit Soul.

Despite some rumours doing the rounds I want to make it clear that our guest DJ will not be appearing at any other events on the 18th, despite the best efforts of rival promoters to undermine our night by trying to get them to play at theirs afterwords! I'll be putting up a track listing of the free CD in due course, and the only place you'll get to here these sounds in London on August 18th will be at Solid Hit Soul.

Just to make things clear re Martins last comment:

On Saturday at the 100 club I was giving out flyers for this Fridays Solid Hit Soul when I was gobsmacked to receive the comment “Why should I pay a fiver for your venue when I can hear Carl for free down the road” It seems that the promoter that has clashed with ours has also announced that Carl just happens to be in London next weekend & they have persuaded him to go & “play some tunes for them” This is untrue, Carl has retired from DJing anyway but Maria (&Carl)are in London to DJ at Solid Hit Soul & DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE APPEARING ELSEWHERE. So If you want to hear Maria & all of Carls top sounds which will be on the free limited number CD, Solid Hit Soul is the only venue to be !

Edited by Dave G
Guest Stuart T

One further comment on this, our understanding is that Carl and Maria were told that we had been approached and confirmed that we had no problem with them DJing up the road on the same night. That was not true as we were never asked, its all very well for someone to act apologetic when they end up clashing a night with our own but completely out of order to then try to poach our guest DJs and lie to them in the process.

Those responsible are invited to explain themselves (I would love it to be a big misunderstanding). :angry:

OK, turning now to the positive aspects of Friday night - here is the track listing for the free CD - what do you reckon? I think it's rather exciting myself :lol: We will have a strictly limited number to give away, complete with nice glossy cover, so get down early if you want one... doors open at 8pm.

TASTY BITS AND RARE PIECES

COMPLILED EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE SOLID HIT SOUL CLUB

FROM THE CARL WILLINGHAM COLLECTION.

1. DOTTIE DANIELS - I'M ALONE - UN-ISSUED BELL ACETATE

2 UNKNOWN ARTIST - I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU - UN-ISSUED BELL ACETATE

3 TINA MASON - WHAT - CAPITOL

4 MILTON JAMES - MY LONELY FEELING

5 LEE CHARLES - WHY - HOT WAX TEST PRESSING

6 LEE JAMES - BRIGHT CITY LIGHTS - HOT WAX TEST PRESSING

7 AGENTS - TROUBLE - UN - ISSUED IMPACT ACETATE

8 UNKNOWN ARTIST - I'LL FOLLOW YOU - UN-ISSUED MADDISON ACETATE

9 STORMIE WYNTERS - LIFE SAVER - MERCURY

10 GERRY JACKSON AND HERMAN LEWIS - RIGHT DIRECTON - STONE BLUE

11 ENCHANTERS - LIKE A LOVE I NEVER HAD - UN-ISSUED - VIRTUE ACETATE

12 BINGO JOE AND HIS GUM BAND - UNKNOWN TITLE - UN-ISSUED ACETATE

13 MICKY BUCKINS - I GOTTA FIND - C/U

14 LITTLE CARL - C/U

15 HOLLYWOOD FLAMES - C/U

16 PATIENCE VALENTINE - C/U

17 CHANCE AND TONT - PRETTY BABY - ANN V

18 BRISTOLS - GO AWAY - AUDIO DYNAMITE

19 CLARENCE TOWNSEND - I FOUND A LOVE - CLARA

20 THORTON SISTERS - I KEEP FORGEETING - CUPPY

21 THORTON SISTERS - OOH - POO - PAH - DOO - CUPPY

22 PRECISIONS - I WANNA TELL MY BABY - D- TOWN

23 ANTHONY AND THE DELSONICS - EVERY TIME - EMERGE

24 CODY BLACK - IT'S OUR TIME TO FALL IN LOVE - GIG

25 BOBBY JAMES - I STILL LOVE YOU - KAROL

26 WALTER AND THE ADMERATIONS - MAN OH MAN - LA CINDY

27 UTOPIAS - GIRLS ARE AGAINST ME - LA SALLE

28 JEANIE AND THE GENTLEMAN - LET ME DOWN EASY - LIMELIGHT

29 REGENTS - WHAT 'CHA GONNA DO - MAD

30 OXFORDS - IT'S YOU - NATIONAL

31 PRINCE PAUL AND THE SWINGING IMPERIALS - IN THE BEGINING - PARKER

32 JACKIE DAY - NAUGHTY BOY - PHELECTRON

33 TERRI GOODNIGHT - THEY DIDN'T NO - PHELECTRON

34 MAGNETICS - I HAVE A GIRL - RA SAL

35 JACKIE BEAVERS - I'VE GOT A LOVE THAT WILL NEVER GROW OLD - REVILOT

36 KING EDWARD AND HIS B.D.s - WORKIN' FOR MY BABY - ROGA

37 SOUL BROS INC - TEARDROPS - SALEM

38 TY KARIM - YOU REALLY MADE IT GOOD TO ME - SENATOR

39 PARINELL STATON - LITTLE LOVE AFFAIR - SEPIA

40 SWEETS - SOMETHING ABOUT MY BABY - SOULTOWN

41 TALMADGE ARMSTRONG - GIVE IT UP - SPINDLE TOP

42 GAIL NEVELLS - HE CAN'T DO WITHOUT ME - STARTRACK

43 GAIL NEVELLS - TAKING MY MIND OF LOVE - STARTRACK

44 SHADOWS - TOGETHER AGAIN - UNITED AUDIO

45 CARPETS - JUST CAN'Y WIN - VJ

46 FREDDIE BUTLER - SAVE YOUR LOVE - WHEELSVILLE

47 FREDDIE BUTLER - ALL IS WELL - WHEELSVILLE

Guest Stuart T

:lol: A free CD?, anything for those 4 to get out of buying a round of drinks! :) See you Friday, Martin any chance of playing Bob & Fred, please? :)

Only if you wear that face paint. :)

:shhh: Hi Mr Greenhill,is the pub downstairs gonna be serving food before your great night upstairs????

If yes !! I will be in attendance (i aint doin' a soul nite without me grub,after coming staight from work) and dont take the piss about my being FAT, (lol)

I'll be at kings x around 7 ish.

Dave you work too hard at them bits of paper you keep thrusting on us poor souls,i must have enough for nice bonfire by now (again lol)

see you lot on Friday then

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D Hi Mr Greenhill,is the pub downstairs gonna be serving food before your great night upstairs????

If yes !! I will be in attendance (i aint doin' a soul nite without me grub,after coming staight from work) and dont take the piss about my being FAT, (lol)

I'll be at kings x around 7 ish.

Dave you work too hard at them bits of paper you keep thrusting on us poor souls,i must have enough for nice bonfire by now (again lol)

see you lot on Friday then

:P:P

Toby I've never called you fat but if you're gonna eat downstairs I'll get them to order extra supplies in :P:yes:

See you friday mate, it's gonna be a good'un :dance:

Dave

:yes: A free CD?, anything for those 4 to get out of buying a round of drinks! :D See you Friday, Martin any chance of playing Bob & Fred, please? :P

You're not wrong there Ian :P

See you friday but keep your stripey friend off of the dancefloor :P

I've just been listening to the CD more closely (I haven't had a chance to have a proper listen as I've been too busy duplicating, printing, etc etc!) and I can assure you, it's absolutely brilliant- you'll recognise many of the big classics on there but the cover ups and unissued stuff are really stunning - can't wait for Friday and to hear many of these beauties on a full system and if you want your own copy of the CD, get yourself down early as we'll have a limited number to give out on the night on a first-come first-served basis and I expect these to have been exhausted by 9pm or thereabouts (that's no guarantee there'll be any left by 9pm mind!) :ohmy:

THANKS CHRIS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AND CARLOS THE OTHER NIGHT WE'LL DO IT AGAIN REAL SOON. ENJOY DUBLIN AND SEND OUR LOVE TO EVERYONE OVER THERE.

BACK TO FRIDAY CARL'S JUST EMAILED ME [ I'M BUSY WORKING!!] TO SAY HE IS GOING THRUGH THE COLLECTION FOR OUR VISIT TO THE SMOKE SO IF ANYONE ATTENDING HAS ANY REQUESTS PLEASE EMAIL US ON THIS THREAD AND CARL WILL PACK THEM READY FOR WEEKEND, LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING LOTS OF PEOPLE THERE, MARIA

THANKS CHRIS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AND CARLOS THE OTHER NIGHT WE'LL DO IT AGAIN REAL SOON. ENJOY DUBLIN AND SEND OUR LOVE TO EVERYONE OVER THERE.

BACK TO FRIDAY CARL'S JUST EMAILED ME [ I'M BUSY WORKING!!] TO SAY HE IS GOING THRUGH THE COLLECTION FOR OUR VISIT TO THE SMOKE SO IF ANYONE ATTENDING HAS ANY REQUESTS PLEASE EMAIL US ON THIS THREAD AND CARL WILL PACK THEM READY FOR WEEKEND, LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING LOTS OF PEOPLE THERE, MARIA

Hi Maria

I've sent Carl a long list of requests, though I have the benefit of having the CD to hand :D

That Little Carl c/u is particularly tremendous IMO - can't wait to hear it out.... right up my street.....

We'll be in touch later with some directions :P

It certainly does look quite a special CD :D

P.S nice to meet you on sat night Dave :P

Hi Baz good to meet you saturday, Hope you can get down for friday night.

Had a PM yesterday from someone who was at Middleton recently & they commented on Marias set & assures me she'll bring the house down, can't wait for friday

cheers

Dave

HI Carl and Maria

Was due to travel back up north on Friday to sort out my move down South!! BUT , having just come across this, I am hastily re-arranging things, so that I can come to what will un-doubtedly be, a TOP NIGHT. :D !!

Hope to see you Friday.

PAUL-S :P

HI Carl and Maria

Was due to travel back up north on Friday to sort out my move down South!! BUT , having just come across this, I am hastily re-arranging things, so that I can come to what will un-doubtedly be, a TOP NIGHT. :ohmy: !!

Hope to see you Friday.

PAUL-S :P

WISH WE COULD BE THERE BUT DUBLIN CALLS, :D Edited by bearsoul

Chrissie, whats the last trian back?

If i can get all my work done i might pop down with Glyn if i can persuade him :D

Baz, why is this now in Soul in the City Thread? SHould you of merged it with Solid Hit Soul Thread?

Last train 1.50. thamesling me thinks

QoFxx

Edited by chrissieo

Baz, why is this now in Soul in the City Thread? SHould you of merged it with Solid Hit Soul Thread?

Last train 1.50. thamesling me thinks

QoFxx

Whoops :D now sorted :D

Edited by Baz

QUOTE(carl willingham @ Aug 16 2006, 03:14 PM)

Maria and Carl, have a fantastic night, not doubt you will, wished we could be there, Mmmm London? Dublin? Luv both, no doubt you'll have a great time, thanks for Mon night.

Carlos :D

Edited by 7daylover

HI Carl and Maria

Was due to travel back up north on Friday to sort out my move down South!! BUT , having just come across this, I am hastily re-arranging things, so that I can come to what will un-doubtedly be, a TOP NIGHT. :D !!

Hope to see you Friday.

PAUL-S :D

Have you any talc left Paul? :D

Guest AudraT

Hrrmpphhh, I had to stay in tonight just in case I enjoyed myself too much and couldn't get ready for Curtis's 3rd party on Saturday.

Hope it was a great one!

Audra

x

Guest vinylvixen

Hrrmpphhh, I had to stay in tonight just in case I enjoyed myself too much and couldn't get ready for Curtis's 3rd party on Saturday.

Hope it was a great one!

Audra

x

Audra, I wish I could say it was rubbish - I wish I could say the music was crap.....but I can't :D Carl & Maria mashed the joint....Jeanie & the Gentlemen - Let me down slowly, Jackie Day - Naughty Boy...and that was just for starters :D Excellent turnout - top cast of supporting djs...Stuart, Martin & Dave bringing up the rear :lol: Nice to see Gene R...who will be guesting at Upbeat tonight...see that post for details :D Anyway, happy birthday Curtis :) Congrats to everyone involved - Jo

Brilliant night ! Best night out i've had in ages.

Good mix of sounds by ALL the d.j.'s, don't think I heard a duff record all evening.

Great to catch up with Carl & Maria, a real nice couple, & what a set they did ! Big thank's to Maria for the dedication on the record you put on for me :lol:

Some good dancers in there last night.

It was an excellent night, great music from all the DJs, Maria and Carl played some great sounds, sorry I had to leave before the end of your set, thanks for playing I Only Have Eyes For You, took me back to the CSC at the Dome.

What made the evening even better, was that so many of my good friends were there, friends who have helped me so much, thank you all.

As I commented last night, we are so lucky to have the soul scene, great music and great people. Adults enjoying themselves. I know I would be a poorer person without it.

Hope I didn't talk too much rubbish last night, had more alcohol than usual, also made me go out on the dance floor when I intended to stay on the sidelines. Oh well, when the music gets in you what can you do?

:lol: What can i say,a superb night out yet again,Gene played outstanding records again he never plays a duff one,Carl & Maria's set very very good had to keep asking others what they were playing, all new to me ,not a bad tune played.

Well done you boys its a deffo visit to the next one,from one happy soulie WELL DONE. :)

Guest Johnny Mack

:lol:

Happened to be in London on Friday and was greatly impressed by the standard of music played.

Dont get to UK venues that often and have been sorely disappointed in the past by the attendances and the standard of music played.

On musical standard, Guy H and I both agreed that - Ronnie Mcneir "Sitting in my Class" was one of the more "average" tunes played.

Great night !

Take care

Johnny Mack

Sounds like it was a top night, well done all involved :lol:

Come on then boys and girl give us some tunes in the form of delightful playlist's :)

Maria/Carl know you read these pages, would be great to see your playlist :D

Good night, excellent music from all the DJ's and a very friendly crowd - who could ask for more?

There were so to dancers - especially the little feller with beer belly, long beard and ponytail who looked like he had wandered into the wrong night (grunge, beer, darts and skittles) - what a great dancer with fanastic feet, spins, the lot.

Well done to all concerned.

Dave

To all involved with last night, excellent evening, excellent music. :thumbsup::P

Dave loved the knees and the sandals :P:D

Ian & Ciara

Southside Soul Club 16th September - O'Dowd's Function Room, Plumstead High Street, Plumstead SE18. Guest DJs - Warren Boog-a-loo & Paul McKay (Soul In The City). £4 OTD 8:00pm-1:00am (Bar Till 1:00am) Details www.southsidesoulclub.co.uk

Source Advert