Unreleased Duke Turner On Spinning Top Label? Any Info?

Duke Turner had a couple of releases on Spinning Top c.1974 (I think).

- (Let me be your) Baby sitter (Vocal/Instr)

- Give me some sugar baby pt1/2

As far as I can tell from looking online, they were the only releases on the label, which appears to have been owned by Turner himself.

Anyone got any info on the man or the label?

Thanks...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

There is a 3rd release on the label. Duke redid a version of "sugar baby" in the '80s, a similar top label design but a little more '80s looking. I have a friend who told me he used to know Duke but I don't really remember any details. The '70s version of "sugar baby" was also reissued on Crajon, both came out in '74.

Social source share

There is a 3rd release on the label. Duke redid a version of "sugar baby" in the '80s, a similar top label design but a little more '80s looking. I have a friend who told me he used to know Duke but I don't really remember any details. The '70s version of "sugar baby" was also reissued on Crajon, both came out in '74.

Thanks for the info, Bob.

Turner appears to be alive and well, and - presuming it is him and not a family member who is airing their late relative's more recent musical offerings - has a channel on Soundlcloudthat's aptly named Spinning Top Records.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-turner-15

My interest in Turner comes about because I just picked up an acetate that has 'Baby sitter' on one side and a seemingly uncatalogued uptempo track on the other. The acetate is blank, but it seems pretty certain the track is called 'Friendship or friends'.

I'd like to find out more about it, so might look to contact whoever is behind the Soundlcoud channel. If it is unreleased, it would be interesting to learn why it was dropped in favour of an instrumental of the A side.

Social source share

I have one more Duke Turner record on Spinning Top: Duke Turner and the Gems of Peace, "Shake Your Rang-a-Tang" vocal/inst., Spinning Top 22139.

Interesting. Thanks, Matt. So four releases and one possibly uncatalogued recording thus far...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Quite possibly pre 74 Russ.

For some reason the horns sound more 70s to me tho.

Nice track.

Cheers Paul

The horns sound very southern to me - Memphis, Muscle Shoals, perhaps - rather than Chicago. In fact, the whole thing sounds very southern. Couldn't put a finger on it and say why exactly. It just does.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!