Cornell Blakely On Mable Label (Rich Recordings) Any Infos?

Rom1

Hi all,

I found last year these 2 Cornell Blakely's records on a strange South Carolina based MABLE label.

Both came out first on Detroit RICH label

Any infos on this label?

Me thinks it's a late 60's or 70's reissue label for beach music scene demand...but maybe I'm wrong

Any help welcome

Thank you

Romain

post-11665-0-60618400-1399497310_thumb.j   post-11665-0-18435800-1399497361_thumb.j

post-11665-0-27760200-1399497418_thumb.j   post-11665-0-90418400-1399497472_thumb.j

post-11665-0-46292600-1399497517_thumb.j   post-11665-0-47312900-1399497558_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

These have to be '70s re-issues by just James Hendrix (probably without his partner, Berry Gordy's knowledge, due to its meagre sales (probably just in The Carolinas and Georgia, or, possibly across the South)), just as the Cornell Blakely on Shenita records was.  Both of those Hendrix re-issue labels operated out of South Carolina, where Hendrix had moved in the early '70s, after leaving Detroit and Tennessee.

Social source share

I'd say that the Mable records look like around 1977-79.  I believe Hendrix was already in South Carolina in the early '70s, based on some later Carrie pressings I've seen with a SC address.  And, I was told that the Shenita release (also with a SC address), came out in 1973.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hi all,

I found last year these 2 Cornell Blakely's records on a strange South Carolina based MABLE label.

Both came out first on Detroit RICH label

Any infos on this label?

Me thinks it's a late 60's or 70's reissue label for beach music scene demand...but maybe I'm wrong

Any help welcome

Thank you

Romain

attachicon.gifCornell Blakely share Mable.jpg   attachicon.gifCornell Blakely feeling Mable.jpg

attachicon.gifCornell Blakely share Rich.jpg   attachicon.gifCornell Blakely feeling Rich.jpg

attachicon.gifCornell Blakely.jpg   attachicon.gifCornell Blakely (2).JPG

Actually, "Don't Do It"/"You Broke My Heart", although Detroit-produced (and recorded at Motown's studios), wasn't on DETROIT'S Rich label.  It was on Nashville DJ, John Richbourg's label, located in Nashville, Tennessee (despite Blakely's Detroit-based manager, James Hendrix and Motown's Berry Gordy being the owners of the product).  That was Richbourg's Rich's last release.  After Rich went bust, for whatever reason, Gordy and Hendrix released "I've Got That Feeling"/"I Want My Share" on a "new", Motown pressed, Rich Records (which WAS a Detroit label-in ALL ways).

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Mable was an SC label (Laurens county). At least some of the releases were recorded at Mark V studios (famous for all sorts). Not much soul / R&b at all on Mable. Cornell was likely from Laurens; he definately lived there after performing to do radio. Seen about 3-4 different label designs, some look early, some very late (as RobbK says).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!