Tangerine - Trc

Just bought a copy of George Byrd - I'm available on TRC ( the cheap alternative )and noticed that theres a blob of gold paint on the label,on my copy of Bobby Joy's - Sweet devil you - also on TRC theres a blob of gold paint.I bought the Bobby Joy of a guy on ebay who must have a boxful as they keep appearing quite regularly and all of these have the same gold paint on them.Has anyone else noticed the same and does anyone know the story? :shades:

Stamford

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

They have got to be promos, or signifying which side of the record to play - you find them on lots of that group of labels - ABC, TRC, Dunhill - at first I thought it was just someone's mark but I've had way too many of them now for it to be a coincidence. Maybe they ran out of white demos!

Social source share

They have got to be promos, or signifying which side of the record to play - you find them on lots of that group of labels - ABC, TRC, Dunhill - at first I thought it was just someone's mark but I've had way too many of them now for it to be a coincidence.  Maybe they ran out of white demos!

link

I've had loads of 45s with these gold spots on on all sorts of labels..... also some with gold ticks.....

These are usually on Styrene....

I think there an alternative to the BB hole that signifies a non-returnable sale 45 (cut outs).... as drilling holes through brittle Styrene 45s can cause them to crack....

WOOF!

Social source share

I also got some of these 45s with a golden spot on it, on the ABC label, I think . I don't really think it's got something to do with promos as I got them from a jukebox stuffer.

I've got another question on the george byrd 45: There seem to be two label designs, the orange one and a black and white one. Which came first?

Thanks, Martin

PS: My first post here, I hope this works.

Social source share

Just bought a copy of George Byrd - I'm available on TRC ( the cheap alternative )and noticed that theres a blob of gold paint on the label,on my copy of Bobby Joy's - Sweet devil you - also on TRC theres a blob of gold paint.Has anyone else noticed the same and does anyone know the story?  thumbsup.gif  

Stamford

link

ABC used a blob of gold paint instead of the drill-hole to show discounted 45's that could not be returned for a refund. I don't know if it was the actual record company or one or more of their distributors that did this though.

Both sides of George Byrd are nice, hard for me to pick which is better.

Cheers,

Frank Driscoll

Social source share

Sorry for being a pudding, but what does the acronym 'BB' stand for??

And can someone tell me how the 'discounting' thing worked?

I've heard allsorts of crap as to why they have them but have never had the truth explained fully (or least I feel it hasn't?!)

Ta very much.

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Sorry for being a pudding, but what does the acronym 'BB' stand for??

And can someone tell me how the 'discounting' thing worked?

I've heard allsorts of crap as to why they have them but have never had the truth explained fully (or least I feel it hasn't?!)

Ta very much.

Jamie  thumbsup.gif

link

BB...... could be bargain bin, or bargain basement.... but more likely named after the BB Gun - a gun that shoots Ball Bearings.... a bit like an air rifle.... and leaves circular holes in things....

As for cut outs/discounting..... a record company presses up a number of 45s then distributes them on sale or return..... the record flops and the stores return the records... so the record company is stuck with a pile of 45s that they can't sell at full price.....

They offer them to dealers at a discounted price, but marks them (with a drill hole, or the corner of the album sleeve clipped) so that they can't be returned back on the sale or return basis.....

WOOF!

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Cheers Mr Dog.

The discounting thing was pretty much as I understood it.

And I'd heard the Ball-Bearing thing too, but couldn't tie it in with Drill holes? Probably to obvious that I suppose for me!

Best one I'd heard (Watch someone tell me this is true!) is that the flopped singles were drilled through and placed on steel rods or pins and used as ballast on ships because they were worthless and produced in such numbers.

Has anyone else heard any odd-ball explanations?

Jamie

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Wasnt Ray Charles at ABC when he started Tangerine? I think it was always an independently owned label.

As Ray was a well known penny pincher, maybe he got discounted record runs by using the ABC presses? It might explain why both labels use the same gold marks etc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!