Rimini 2006

Photos are up here: https://www.thesoulgirl.com/rimini2006/index.htm and the review is up here: https://www.thesoulgirl.com/html/rimini2006.php

Apart from the rally-style crash on the way home I have lived to tell the tale.

Big it up for our Italian hosts... it was a fantastic weekend!

Oh.... and listen to this when you read the review... it'll transport you to where we were :thumbsup:

Curtis Liggins

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest marco i

Photos are up here: https://www.thesoulgirl.com/rimini2006/index.htm and the review is up here: https://www.thesoulgirl.com/html/rimini2006.php

Apart from the rally-style crash on the way home I have lived to tell the tale.

Big it up for our Italian hosts... it was a fantastic weekend!

Oh.... and listen to this when you read the review... it'll transport you to where we were :lol:

Curtis Liggins

Hi Karen! Seems like you're the only one already back or the only one already able to stay awake long enough to write a review :(

Excellent weekender... a big thank you to all the promoters and djs :thumbsup:

Marco

It's not often people write reviews and mine are just full of rubbish anyway haha :(

I know that many of the visitors were staying at least one or two days more than I so they'll be on here soon no doubt :thumbsup:

I know that many of the visitors were staying at least one or two days more than I so they'll be on here soon no doubt

Already working.....

No time to recover.... :thumbsup:

ciao!

Barbara

Had a great time, but personally wasn't over-enamoured of the music which at times was too modern for my taste.

Also not keen on DJs saying over the mic "If you don't dance to this you've got no soul" when playing "Galveston bay" a minor pop hit by Lonnie Hill from around 1986.

Hi All

Sitting here in sunning UK!!!!!!!!!!

and think back to the great time we had. Thanks to everyone for such a great weekend.

Cool music, stunning weather and so many nice people. For those of you that did not make it this year, make sure you don't miss next year.

Here Here Dave, by the way what was that tune you played called "I Bet ya? by East coast ????

Thanks for the sunday night sponsorship

Blake H

Dave

Well, I have to say that it was a great weekender with a lovely holiday break thrown in at the end of it all. Really enjoyed it and will be definitely going back next year. Nice to 'bump' into loads of people I didn't think would be there. A big thanks to all the promoters.

Warren Boogaloo

Guest sigher the gutter snype

sorry to say im swung the othe way, no where near enough crossover or modern stuff

always enjoyed what christian b played and terry jones.

just as i got in the fabulous playmates was playing...tune.

and the dancefloor had some major wax appeal.

hope next year there is even more 70's stuff, you jsut cant help but dance to it in my opinion.....really uplifting.

loved hearing the nicky newarkers spun by terry jones to and pages "heartache and pain"

of course i did make up for any 70's not played in the evening by spinning it myself in the afternoon.

shame that one of the decks jumped on nearly every record.

hope wew can sort out the cafe system for a right proper knees up next year

Guest Andy BB

That was one of the highlights of the weekend!

Every time you put a record on the right deck it jumped, you cleaned it, held it to the light, adjusted the weight, put it back on.

It jumped, you cleaned it, held it up to the light, adjusted the weight, put it back on...

It jumped, you gave up.

Put another one on

It jumped, you cleaned it, held it up to the light ...

Never admit defeat!

:thumbsup:

Every time you put a record on the right deck it jumped, you cleaned it, held it to the light, adjusted the weight, put it back on.

It jumped, you cleaned it, held it up to the light, adjusted the weight, put it back on...

It jumped, you gave up.

Put another one on

Never admit defeat!

:wicked:

andy your not wrong mate, and worst thing was i was the first dj to play on saturday afternoon.

one of my friends heard somone say on the first record jumping "SHODDY"

then "SHODDY, SHODDY ,SHODDY, SHODDY"

oh! to be a dj hey!

someone did say, "what was that record you played"

"you know the one that didnt jump" !!!!!!!

and theres know way im putting a 2 euro coin on a £1'000 45 !!

nice to meet you anyway mate

sorry to say im swung the othe way, no where near enough crossover or modern stuff

always enjoyed what christian b played and terry jones.

just as i got in the fabulous playmates was playing...tune.

and the dancefloor had some major wax appeal.

hope next year there is even more 70's stuff, you jsut cant help but dance to it in my opinion.....really uplifting.

loved hearing the nicky newarkers spun by terry jones to and pages "heartache and pain"

of course i did make up for any 70's not played in the evening by spinning it myself in the afternoon.

shame that one of the decks jumped on nearly every record.

hope wew can sort out the cafe system for a right proper knees up next year

Yep I have to admit it was nice to hear heartaches and pain as not heard for a while - quite appropriate for me with me having a disagreement with a fish on the first day! :wicked:

Didnt see you there, couldnt mistake me, the one with the limp! :lol:

you couldnt miss me

then one you probably thought

"man hes young!"

shame he has ginger hair....

and know im not that ginger haired one the size of peter crouch

you couldnt miss me

then one you probably thought

"man hes young!"

shame he has ginger hair....

and know im not that ginger haired one the size of peter crouch

How can you forget me! Hatfield - me and reggie? :wicked:

Guest marco i

It jumped, you gave up.

Put another one on

Never admit defeat!

:lol:

Sunday afternoon I managed to have a full set with only one record jumping using the old trick of the coin on the head (the stylus head, not mine :wicked: )...

Well, I have to say that it was a great weekender with a lovely holiday break thrown in at the end of it all. Really enjoyed it and will be definitely going back next year. Nice to 'bump' into loads of people I didn't think would be there. A big thanks to all the promoters.

Warren Boogaloo

I think making a week of it is a great idea for next year, got there 10.00 Friday morning and before I knew it it was Sunday night and we were on the plane home.

Had a great weekend with lots of quality music to suit all tastes (apart from no R&B for Mick and Trevor) :wicked: .

Great music downstairs and some really good quality tunes during the afternoon sessions upstairs. Shame about the problems with the sound system which were annoying - Arthur played Soul Inc and the bloody deck packed in halfway through. Apart from that could'nt fault anything.

Big thanks to Cristian and everyone else for a top weekend.

What a great weekend!!!!

A big thanks to all the promoters and djs :wicked:

These are some of the records I played during the weekend....

ciao! Barbara

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things - Playhouse

Gloria Lynne - You don't have to be a tower of strenght - Everest

The Sparkels - Try Love (one more time) - Old Town

Ann Heywood - Crook His Little Finger - Hondo

Bonnie Herman - Hush Don't Cry - Columbia

Yvonne Carroll - Please Don't Go - VeeJay

Susan Rafey - Hurt So Bad - Verve

Barbara Mercer - Call on me - Sidra

Linda Jones - My Heart Needs A Break - Loma

Lorraine Chandler - I Can't Change - RCA Victor

Tobi Lark - Happiness Is Here - Topper

Majestics - (I love her so much) it hurts me - Linda

The Ambers - Another Love - Smash

Brenda & The Tabulations - That's in the past - Dionn

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember - Duke

Delegates of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Uplook

El Anthony - We've Been In Love Too Long - La Cindy

The Variations - I wanna take you uptown - Right-on

Natural Four - I Thought You Were Mine - ABC

Channel 3 - The Sweetest Thing - Dakar

Essex IV My heart just can't take it - Windmill

Collins & Collins - Top Of The Stairs - A&M

Sandra Wright - Midnight Affair - Truth

Barbara Lynn - Trying to Love Two - Ichiban

Guest marco i

and theres know way im putting a 2 euro coin on a £1'000 45 !!

That's the only good thing in mine record box containing only £10 worth 45s... :lol:

Of course being cheap records I used a 10 cents coin! :wicked:

That's the only good thing in mine record box containing only £10 worth 45s... :lol:

Of course being cheap records I used a 10 cents coin! :lol:

Marco,

if we both collected expensive records.... then we would have to live under a bridge soon..... :wicked:

Guest Andy BB

Shoddy, shoddy shoddy shoddy

Ha Ha!

Don't worry about that - that was probably just me and Johnny T. It was nice to sit in the sun having a few beers and laughing at someone elses misfortune. Although I think my comment was "seamless"

(Happens to me all the time, and that's with proper equipment).

:lol::wicked:

Personally had a brilliant time.

But did feel sorry for all those people expecting to hear more 60s soul.

Thought the balance was probably 70% modern 30% northern. Which is probably the reverse of last years.

Agree with SITC above - Ref DJs saying over the mic "If you don't dance to this you've got no soul"

Just winds me up!

Col.

Hi Guys,

Great to meet so many of you during the weekend, had a great time....musically i kind of knew what to expect with the emphisis being on the modern side...

I\ll post my afternoon "bar sessions" playlist when i get back....YES, I\m still here in sunny Rimini, been on the beach all day but suffering from a spot of sunburn now....! We are heading up to the old town tonight with a stop in at the Rose and crown for a pint on the way there and back!

Thanks to the Promotots, DJs and punters for making it such a great weekend...

see you soon...

Chris and Helen.

YES, I\m still here in sunny Rimini, been on the beach all day but suffering from a spot of sunburn now....!

....Better than suffering like the ones like me who had to come back to work on Tuesday....

:yes:

Your afternoon set had been great... well done!!!! :ohmy:

ciao!

Barbara

Guest Dr Pickles

What a weekend. Great accomadation and met some wonderful people.

Hotel and Rimini were spot on. Thanks to Mischief, Emma, Mick, Tracy, Tracie and Andy for sneaking us in to use your pool rather than the crazy golf course.

Thanks to Col, Sue, AndyBB, John, Elaine, Rob, Billy, Kent, Mark and all the others I got to have weird and wonderful chats with.

Great food everywhere we went and far too much drink. What was the yellow stuff again :yes:

Musically I was very disappointed with the lack of 60's / R&B, but I did know what I was letting myself in for. Will definitely be going again just to be able to sit in a bar and have a laugh with some like minded people.

Found myself financially embarrassed when going into the club on Friday. Next thing I know sitc01 is putting a 50 euro note in my hand saying "pay me back when you can". I'd only met him the night before :ohmy: . Summed up the whole weekend for me.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Guest soulful cris

Hello my friends wherever you are now! personally I am still in Rimini enjoying the whole month of july on the beach :ohmy:

Anyway...... A HUGE THANK YOU from me ,Cristian and Simone for making this year yet again a very special rare soul weekender. We are taking in all your comments and realise that obviously you can't always please everybody, especially when you make a point of having an across the board music policy in one room :yes: ....you always end up doing too much of this or that no matter how hard you try in getting the perfect balance.

Anyway it's good to see that most of you had a very good time and hopefully we'll see you next year, the dates will be out soon along with some playlists.

Allright then....I think it's time to get back to my aperitivo on the terrace :D

Luv

xxx

Cristina

Guest Dr Pickles

Hi Doc, its called something like lemoncello. Hits the spot nicely.

Posted about 20 pics in gallery, more to follow next week.

Col :ohmy:

That's the stuff Col :yes:

a_pallini_black_bac_w_2_jpeg.jpg

Hits you like a gold brick with a slice of lemon wrapped around it.

Happy days

Doc

Personally had a brilliant time.

But did feel sorry for all those people expecting to hear more 60s soul.

Thought the balance was probably 70% modern 30% northern. Which is probably the reverse of last years.

Agree with SITC above - Ref DJs saying over the mic "If you don't dance to this you've got no soul"

Just winds me up!

Col.

I'm a mahoosive r&b, latin and 60's fan but I love Rimini... they could have morris dancers singing for all I cared .. ok, may be not morris dancers... but you know what I mean. As others have said, just chatting, laughing and drinking with everyone is fantastic.

Sorry Sitc01, you lost your bet good and proper this year, I stayed awake til breakfast every day!!

We went up to the Old town again last night, there was a massive market on in one of the main squares and there were loads of records for sale!

I didnt get time for a proper look, i could feel these eyes burning into the back of my head, it looked like mostly 80s or italian stuff but i did manage to pick up a nice copy of the Les Maccan "Plays the hits" LP!!

Chris

We went up to the Old town again last night, there was a massive market on in one of the main squares and there were loads of records for sale!

Chris

I always give a look to the little markets, looking for a copy of the italian issue of 'I still love you', or the Abba on Digit with Marcia Hines on the slip side..... but always in vain.... :yes:

ciao!

Barbara

I'm a mahoosive r&b, latin and 60's fan but I love Rimini... they could have morris dancers singing for all I cared .. ok, may be not morris dancers... but you know what I mean. As others have said, just chatting, laughing and drinking with everyone is fantastic.

Sorry Sitc01, you lost your bet good and proper this year, I stayed awake til breakfast every day!!

There's a first time for everything :yes:

I always give a look to the little markets, looking for a copy of the italian issue of 'I still love you', or the Abba on Digit with Marcia Hines on the slip side..... but always in vain.... :yes:

ciao!

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

The Marcia Hines was also released on DIG-IT with her version of Jumping Jack Flash on the A side .

Derek

think hes trying to say that rice crispies is about as loud as he likes his brekkie... :yes:

Well, there were plenty of other tables... it wasn't obligatory :P I think he secretly enjoyed it.... :P

And not forgetting, we had just rolled in drunk from the all night party - so you had already recovered Col :P

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫

yes i did have a great time at rimini but will have to try and drink less beer.

i also found out that mobile phones dont work under water.

thanx to cristina,cristian and simone for shipping me over to play a few toons

all the best for next year hope to see more italians there.

cheers john boy weston

Well Mr Weston- It sounds like you disgraced yourself Yet again. How can we allow such a person to come to Scotland again! Its easy its your round first , second, third, fourth, Fift , sixth oh hell Pass me the bucket!

Great to hear you had a good time Johnny Boy -OOOOOH Baby- I believe Im losing you!

Guest marco i

That's the only good thing in mine record box containing only £10 worth 45s... :(

Of course being cheap records I used a 10 cents coin! :rolleyes:

And here is (more or less) what I played at the bar sessions Friday and Sunday...

The Dells - It's All Up To You - Cadet

Barrett Strong - Is It true - Capitol

Lenny Williams - Choosing You - ABC Records

The Temptations - Aiming At Your Heart - Gordy

Dottie Person- A House Made Of Love - Grapevine

NYCC - Make Every Day Count - RCA

Grace Jones - Sorry - Beam Junction

Archie Bell & The Drells - Where Will You Go When The Party's Over - PIR

Blacknuss - Thinking Of You - Superstudio

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On - Motown Remixed

Cunnie Williams - Come Back To Me - Universal

Keni Burke - Risin' To The Top - RCA

Paprika Soul - Too Much Love Makin' - Baseline

First Choice - Let Me Down Easy - Salsoul

Kenny Thomas - Him - OOFL

Knee Deep feat Kenny Bobien - If You Luv Me - ROI

Denise LaSalle - Here I Am Again - Westbound

Tavares with Freda Payne - I Wanna See You Soon - Capitol

Four Tops - Ain't No Woman (Like The One I Got) - Dunhill Records

Aretha Franklin - Take Me With You - Arista

Stevie Wonder - Do I Do - Motown

Sonny Charles - Put It In A Magazine - Highrise

The Dells - All About The Paper - 20th Century Fox Records

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe - Elektra LP (1979 version)

Swing Out Sister - Am I The Same Girl - Fontana

The Pasadenas - Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man - CBS

Sonja Grier - Right Here, Right Now - Spirit Records

Kim English - Simply Grateful - SUSU

Luther Vandross - Are You Using Me - EMI

Connie Harvey - Thank You Lord - Soulfuric

Groove Junkies feat Kathie Talbot - Catch Your Shine - More House

Hardsoul feat Ron Carroll - Back Together - Soulfuric

Donald McCollum - U Don't Want My Love - Dome

Bobby Womack - How Could You Break My Heart - Arista

Dottie Person- Bring It Over Baby - Grapevine

Double Exposure - Everyman (Has To Carry His Own Weight) - Salsoul Records

The Esquires - What Good Is Music - Cigar Man Music

Guest the dukester

And here is (more or less) what I played at the bar sessions Friday and Sunday...

Archie Bell & The Drells - Where Will You Go When The Party's Over - PIR

Remind you of elba then :rolleyes:

Dukesy

Well Mr Weston- It sounds like you disgraced yourself Yet again. How can we allow such a person to come to Scotland again!

I'll tell you who did disgrace himself, a scottish bloke called 'Rab'

It was a pleasure watching the bouncers evict him on the saturday night.