Chaka Khan & Incognito Live @ Hoochie Coochie , Newcastle Upon Tyne

Best venue in the North East for live Soul/Jazz acts bar none. Got mind-blown by Gregory Porter there a few months back - intimate, friendly venue: if you're at the front you're about a foot away from these heroes! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Am I being a bit fick, did i just see that tickets are £175? As much as I love Chaka and Incognito for that sort of money I would  be expecting a guest appearance from Marvin and Curtis as well  :yes:

Social source share

Best venue in the North East for live Soul/Jazz acts bar none. Got mind-blown by Gregory Porter there a few months back - intimate, friendly venue: if you're at the front you're about a foot away from these heroes! 

F*ck me, the tickets are a bit steep though!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I being a bit fick, did i just see that tickets are £175? As much as I love Chaka and Incognito for that sort of money I would  be expecting a guest appearance from Marvin and Curtis as well  :yes:

I really fancied a trip up for that John - its just up the road and she wiill be great in a small venue I'm sure.  Fair play to them - you would never get an act of this calibre in a small club unless you paid a premium - the tickets are similiar prices at her only other dates in the UK at Ronnie Scotts.  And I believe any profits will go to charity.

Mind, Lonnie Liston Smith is on at the same venue next month for £10 a ticket!

Social source share

Yeah, Warren's come in for some stick on this one but trust me, the guy makes next to nothing from these gigs - I think Chaka and her crew cost a bomb and he's put his neck on the line to bring her to his venue: it's expensive for sure but comparable to what it would cost to see her at Ronnie's as Mike says. Some folk (no-one on here I doubt) pay ££££ to see a tiny dot of Kylie Minogue lip syncing on a stage about half a mile away.  :facepalm:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Check out the other live acts scheduled to appear plus the free Sunday afternoon soul sessions and northern soul alldayers....
Social source share

Check out the other live acts scheduled to appear plus the free Sunday afternoon soul sessions and northern soul alldayers....

Hopefully the other live acts won't be charging extortionate amounts of money....................maybe it's a misprint!!!!   :huh:

Social source share

I've just got back from the "Southport Weekender" (that is held in Minehead :D) & I didn't enjoy her performance at all (unlike when she supported Mary J Blige a few years back when she was fab) She was just too shrieky this time, & I left before the end of the performance.

I can't see it working in a small venue when she wants to belt them out, but as I have friends who've paid the £175 I hope for their sakes that she is worth the ridiculous money they have forked out.

I paid £220 for a whole weekend of great worldwide dj's (too many to mention them all - Tony Humphries, Kenny Dope, Kerri Chandler, Terry Hunter, The Basement Boys) with Chaka thrown in the package, along with the Brand New Heavies, Omar, Lisa Shaw, Faith Evans & Archie Bell & The Drells (who I WOULD have paid £175 to see! He was incredible!!!)

Good luck to all Hoochie Coochiers, I truly hope your experience is better than mine :thumbsup:

Regards

Ali

Edit: perhaps I should add .. there were 100's who did seem to enjoy her performance, she just wasn't for me this time

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Take your ear plugs for Chaka as she will burst your ear drums :D Incognito were fine :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!