Dramatics Inky Winky-Dave Hamilton

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bloody hell-fire, I never knew Dave had co-produced it with Andre Williams. It was one of the first Northern Records I ever danced to. Am I dumb or is it so well known nobody bothered to mention it? Maybe you shouldn't answer too honestly! Ady

Wasn't Inky Winky one of the Teletubbies?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well thanks Pete! We're not at our most illuminating this morning Soul Sourcers, where's Rob K when I need him (asleep)? Speaking of which I also found Dave and hi Peppers credited on Solid As A Rock by Bobby Lewis on Spotlight. If anyone's got that I'd like to hear/see it.

Yes, asleep!   It's there on "Inky Winky Wang Dang Doo" for everyone to read, that Dave Hamilton co-produced it.  I don't remember whether or not you listed it among his credits on the Dave H. CDs.  But, I take it that you didn't, and are wondering why I didn't catch it? 

I didn't know about the Bobby Lewis record.  It was a New York release, and Lewis was a New York based artist.  So, I assume that it was a New York production that Dave and his Peppers recorded while they were on the road on The east Coast.  Dave did a LOT of session playing (mainly guitar).  Often, he wasn't credited on the record released .

I'd surely like to hear that Bobby Lewis record.  It was from 1957.  Spotlight Corp.  was a jukebox manufacturer, who had a budget label to release generic cuts of various music genres, as well as "covers" of big hits by unknown artists, and lesser known artists using false names.

I could have bought it in March 2014 on e-Bay for only $2.00 US!!!  But, I don't have time to watch auction lists for records.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

This particular Spotlight Records may not be the Jukebox operation's record label.  It seems to be a New York-based label with a Detroit connection, having Sax Kari and Dave Hamilton and His Peppers from Detroit, and Bob Crewe and Bobby Lewis from New York.  It may have been a New york outlet for some Detroit artists through a connection with ownership 9possibly having come, originally from Detroit, or having some connection with Detroit people (similar to Detroit's Embee  (Harry Balk and Mihkahnic) connection to New York's Big Top Records, and having their Twirl/Storm Records labels operate out of New York).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

there's the story behind this record in an issue of "there's that beat".

Can anyone post the story behind the record in a condensed paraphrasing, or posting a portion of the article?  Can anyone upload an MP3 of it, or send one through an e-mail or PM?

Social source share

Robb, you don't own the Dramatics on "Inky dinky wang do" / "Baby I need you" on Wingate? here it is on youtube:

Also, I was wrong about there being a story behind the record in There's That Beat, there was an article about the Dynamics and they were talking about the first Dramatics 45 on Wingate which got mistitled.

Social source share

Robb, you don't own the Dramatics on "Inky dinky wang do" / "Baby I need you" on Wingate? here it is on youtube:

Also, I was wrong about there being a story behind the record in There's That Beat, there was an article about the Dynamics and they were talking about the first Dramatics 45 on Wingate which got mistitled.

Whatever gave you that idea?  I bought that Dramatics record new, and have owned at least 20 of them.  The record I don't have is the Bobby Lewis on Spotlight.

I had almost all the Golden World/Ric Tic records, except for "Oh Angelina" and one or two of the 1962 series, from almost  their release time, plus a few months.  the few fairly rare ones I bought from Ron Murphy, when he bought out their warehouse stock.  I don't have the Spotlight record, because it probably never got out of New York.  It wasn't a Detroit record.  I'm pretty strong on Midwestern and California labels, as i lived there and traveled on regional record-buying trips.  but I only went to the East coast of USA a couple times (looking for records).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I responded to the subject about inky dinky wang do saying "there's a story behind this record in there's that beat" and you asked for the story and mp3. That's why I was surprised you were saying you didn't own it.

Social source share

I responded to the subject about inky dinky wang do saying "there's a story behind this record in there's that beat" and you asked for the story and mp3. That's why I was surprised you were saying you didn't own it.

Sorry.  I thought you meant there was a story behind the Bobby Lewis record.  I guess I'm getting too used to Dutch sense, at the expense of my English.

Social source share

Thanks for all the responses people, I'd still love to know of any other Dave Hamilton credits like this one. I know he was involved with the Chalfontes on Mercury which like Inky Winky was a co-production with Andre Williams are there any other, particularly for majors? Also he was signed to MRC publishing for a while and the Chalfontes is the only place I've noticed that but I haven't been looking till now.

Social source share

Hi!

Ron Banks (on Inky...): "Here in the States it did much better than Bingo.  Now we started getting airplay across the country, which was really hard back in those times.  We started selling records here in Michigan, in Chicago, St. Louis, some places down south, a couple of places on the east coast - they even played it a couple of times in the New York City.  It went number one here in Detroit, and that meant so much for us, because we had been working so hard to get our record number one in the city we actually live in.  It gave us a little popularity and it gave us more incentive to keep going."

(Soul Express: The Dramatics Story, part 1).

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!