First Love

Citizen P

Just waded through the whole Black vs White thing and whilst not wishing to pull the scab off that again,I guess in essence you had to be there, it got me wondering from what direction did you approach this scene.

Speaking for myself (only) as a wanabee skinhead in early 70 (but never being allowed the haircut) attending youth clubs and hearing the usual stuff,Otis Aretha Motown Stax Atlantic etc. and then progressing to the local discos finding about only 1 in 5 records I heard I liked and after being warned off The Twisted Wheel as a club for Mad Scooter Boys,eventually started buying Blues & Soul and seeing an advert for a Soul Club--The Pendulum-- not a Northen Soul Club mind,a SOUL Club.

Anyway we wandered down one night and gues what, we knew not one record. We were however totally f*cked,I mean hooked,for life. :lol:

But I still considered myself just a soul fan buying and listening to everything I could afford, which wasn't much, including just as much contemporaneous soul material as Rare Soul as it was then called.

I never heared the term Northern until I played Carl Carlton --Competition aint Nothing to an old mate who was very much into Soul who said "yeah not bad but its a bit Northen innit?"

Oh well :shades:

Any Road Up Folks

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Whats Yours(No I aint getting 'em in)

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic